PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ranking QB situations following the NFL Draft (We are #7 (?))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have we, though? Can you find any other QB whose first season came within shouting distance of this who didn't amount to much in the long run?

66% completions, 5,097 yards, 50 TDs, 12 INTs, 113.8 passer rating

Nick Foles sophomore year (first full year): 27 tds, 2 ints, 119.2 QBR. Didn't have the yards of Mahomes, but that offense in KC was STACKED last year. Best catching TE in the game, best, or one of the best, WRs, top-3 pass-catching RB (and we saw all this the year before with Smith, too, by far Smith's best season, as ICE-Ice pointed out), and a tremendous offensive line.

Alex Smith 2017: 67.5% completion rate, 4042 yards (15 games), 26tds, 5 int.

Mahomes walked into the very best situation and made the most of it. Now we get to see him without Hill (probably) and without Kareem Hunt.

I agree, the kid looks fantastic, and I'm pretty sure he's going to have a long and very good career, but I want to see him in years when his OL sucks and when he's throwing to lesser threats.

Nick Foles sophomore year (first full year): 27 tds, 2 ints, 119.2 QBR. Didn't have the yards of Mahomes, but that offense in KC was STACKED last year. Best catching TE in the game, best, or one of the best, WRs, top-3 pass-catching RB (and we saw all this the year before with Smith, too, by far Smith's best season, as ICE-Ice pointed out), and a tremendous offensive line.

Alex Smith 2017: 67.5% completion rate, 4042 yards (15 games), 26tds, 5 int.

Mahomes walked into the very best situation and made the most of it. Now we get to see him without Hill (probably) and without Kareem Hunt.

I agree, the kid looks fantastic, and I'm pretty sure he's going to have a long and very good career, but I want to see him in years when his OL sucks and when he's throwing to lesser threats.

Nick Foles went on to become a Super Bowl winning QB, and the numbers you've chosen to use for him were from his second, not first, year as a starter. The year you chose not to count was a year where he took over mid-season, started 7 games, and had 265 pass attempts, not one where he started a game at the end of the year or did mop up duty. By contrast, Mahomes played in just 1 game, and threw just 35 passes, as a rookie. So, it's not an apt comparison anyway.

Adding the Alex Smith numbers in doesn't even really make sense, so I'll leave that be.

Nick Foles went on to become a Super Bowl winning QB, and the numbers you've chosen to use for him were from his second, not first, year as a starter. The year you chose not to count was a year where he took over mid-season, started 7 games, and had 265 pass attempts, not one where he started a game at the end of the year or did mop up duty. By contrast, Mahomes played in just 1 game, and threw just 35 passes, as a rookie. So, it's not an apt comparison anyway.

Adding the Alex Smith numbers in doesn't even really make sense, so I'll leave that be.

The fact that Smith had a fantastic year (for Smith) the year before with essentially the same cast is absolutely relevant.

The fact that Smith had a fantastic year (for Smith) the year before with essentially the same cast is absolutely relevant.
Also, he beat the Patriots 2 out of 3 times.

what can be said is that our run game was very good last year. 127 ypg. In the last 5 games 178 ypg. We'll see how much losing Brown hurts us. But Wynn was an exceptional run blocker in college and should have great chemistry with Michel and DS will coach him up.

Our best running game was in 2004 and we could top that in 2019.

This is where Gronk and Allen losses hurt. Especially Gronk. You can’t sell out against the run when Gronk is blocking or he’ll burn you (see: first catch of GW Super Bowl drive.). This is why an elite dual threat TE is such a great strategic advantage. Don’t worry too much though because virtually every other team in the league has the same problem. TEs that can block or catch very well but not both.

No, it's not. It's a lousy attempt at minimizing Mahomes' play, and a godawful embarrassment of an argument. "Mahomes first year as a starter was only about 30% better than the 3 time Pro Bowl QB he took over for" is a very stupid attempt to argue against Mahomes.

I can't blame them. Brady is arguably in the second half of his career.

No, it's not. It's a lousy attempt at minimizing Mahomes' play, and a godawful embarrassment of an argument. "Mahomes first year as a starter was only about 30% better than the 3 time Pro Bowl QB he took over for" is a very stupid attempt to argue against Mahomes.

And...he's off!

Here's your original assault (bad day, guy?):

Foles played 7 games, started 6 in his rookie year, which is why I said in my original post "Nick Foles sophomore year (first full year):"

So, throwing my clearly and openly stated caveat (since we're talking about SOPHOMORE seasons and Foles had to play as a rookie, while Mahomes didn't), back at me makes you someone superior? Neat trick!

And as for Smith (note that another poster agreed with the reasoning), the entire point I made about Mahomes was that he came into an ideal situation. Smith's best year in a long career with essentially the same cast as Mahomes walked into might not be relevant to you...in the same way 2007 must have just been a Brady aberration instead of having a superior cast around him.

Bully for you. Go attack someone who doesn't see right through your crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back