PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Randy Moss unretired (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ur saying hes done, why dont u wait till the end of this coming up nfl season 2 say that.. i have no doubt moss can still go out and get 8-10 tds this coming season, and if it turns out that hes done then hes done.. hes had a great career and is a lock for the hof... some of the media and ppl on the net just love to spit on everything that Moss has accomplished as an nfl player

Who is spitting on what he was done for his career? He is a first ballot HOFer and probably the best WR in NFL history not named Jerry Rice.

Personally, I don't hate the guy. I hate the "bring back Moss" cult on this board than I could ever hate him. Virtually every week this season, a new "we should resign Moss" or "If we had Moss, we would have won the game" thread pops up. These people make excuses for his disastrous 2010 season and truly believe that the Pats wanted him back last year, but Moss would rather sit out the entire season rather than accept an one year deal. I am tired of the people who can't understand the Pats have moved on from Moss and have little interest bring him back.

Moss did a great job here his first few years. He far exceeded even hi biggest fans expectations. But like the Pats do, they moved on from him when he could not provide value (or a year earlier in a lot of cases). It's time to move on.

If Moss signs in NE, I'm just waiting to come back and quote every person that bashed him, and said no way it would happen.

And what will you do if he doesn't come back or even worse that he doesn't even make another team's final 53 man roster? Both are real possibilites.

Last edited:
Indeed that is a true statement, but it's not an argument. I'm a diehard fan. I only wish the best for my guys. It's taken me over a week to recover and thankfully the wife stopped me from throwing the TV out the window on the day that shall not be mentioned.

My original thought on the Patriots offseason was that they'd try to grab a quality WR in free agency and then take a WR in the draft. Having seen the combine, I would now be less surprised if the Patriots decided to go after the free agent WR and then draft 2 rookies as well, instead of just the 1. Depending upon how the draft slides, I could see them doing something like grabbing Hill at the end of the first and Adams in either the 2nd or 3rd. That would make things a bit more difficult for Mr. Branch, but it would make the receiving group (WR/TE) extremely young and would certainly increase the overall speed.

Last edited:
Definitely.

Once Moss said he was willing to come into training camp without any upfront money, it guaranteed his opportunity.

I still would be very surprised if it was the Pats.

Bingo! That's exactly what he had to do. I wasn't sure he would be willing to do it! I believe he priced his self out of the league & not because lack of interest.

It's obvious he wants to play for the Pats but I think he will end up else where.

To everyone who is saying that Moss is done, I have a proposition. There are three major categories for receivers - 1) Receptions, 2) Yards, 3) TDs. If you think he is done, then state the stats that he WON'T have. If they're unreasonable, then we can laugh at you, but if they're legitimate then we can compare this at the end of next season. This will also give people a reference as to what you believe done truly means (i.e. that he can't even be the third/fourth receiver on a team). If he meets/exceeds any of the stats you submit, then you were wrong. And if he doesn't meet the reasonable thresholds you set, then you were right.

For example, an average WR - Donald Driver had 37/445/6, i.e. he contributed and didn't hear anyone saying he was done last year. So please state the REC/YDS/TD stat that Moss will NOT reach if you truly believe he's done. Here are the Patriots WR from 2011:

Wes Welker - 122/1569/9
Deion Branch - 51/702/5
Chad Ochocinco - 15/276/1
Julian Edelman - 4/34/0
Tiquan Underwood - 3/30/0

Oh, and for fun, if you believe he's not done, you can state the MINIMUM you think he'll get. And for comparison, here's Moss from 2010:

Moss (2010) - 28/393/5

Last edited:
To everyone who is saying that Moss is done, I have a proposition. There are three major categories for receivers - 1) Receptions, 2) Yards, 3) TDs. If you think he is done, then state the stats that he WON'T have. If they're unreasonable, then we can laugh at you, but if they're legitimate then we can compare this at the end of next season. This will also give people a reference as to what you believe done truly means (i.e. that he can't even be the third/fourth receiver on a team). If he meets/exceeds any of the stats you submit, then you were wrong. And if he doesn't meet the reasonable thresholds you set, then you were right.

For example, an average WR - Donald Driver had 37/445/6, i.e. he contributed and didn't hear anyone saying he was done last year. So please state the REC/YDS/TD stat that Moss will NOT reach if you truly believe he's done. Here are the Patriots WR from 2011:

Wes Welker - 122/1569/9
Deion Branch - 51/702/5
Chad Ochocinco - 15/276/1
Julian Edelman - 4/34/0
Tiquan Underwood - 3/30/0

Oh, and for fun, if you believe he's not done, you can state the MINIMUM you think he'll get. And for comparison, here's Moss from 2010:

Moss (2010) - 28/393/5

Yea, the naysayers were out in full force when I started the thread about Moss weeks before he announced his return.

Moss with 3 teams in 2010 sleepwalking thru the season caught 2x more passes and 5x more TD's than Stinko, he of the 6Mill contract + 4th round pick LOL

Definitely.

Once Moss said he was willing to come into training camp without any upfront money, it guaranteed his opportunity.

I still would be very surprised if it was the Pats.

If this includes the vet minimum plus incentives, sure someone will bring him in.
If the report that said he would ask for $5,000,000 plus another $4,000,000 to $5,000,000 in incentives is right, he will be sitting home.

Alright, let me put myself out there. I don't think Moss is done, so here is my prediction:

Moss 2012 MINIMUM - 50/500/5

If he doesn't reach at least one of these three categories I will eat my crow.

Alright, let me put myself out there. I don't think Moss is done, so here is my prediction:

Moss 2012 MINIMUM - 50/500/5

If he doesn't reach at least one of these three categories I will eat my crow.

I will say 45/400/7 TDs

My original thought on the Patriots offseason was that they'd try to grab a quality WR in free agency and then take a WR in the draft. Having seen the combine, I would now be less surprised if the Patriots decided to go after the free agent WR and then draft 2 rookies as well, instead of just the 1. Depending upon how the draft slides, I could see them doing something like grabbing Hill at the end of the first and Adams in either the 2nd or 3rd. That would make things a bit more difficult for Mr. Branch, but it would make the receiving group (WR/TE) extremely young and would certainly increase the overall speed.

Yes, I agree about picking up a proven talent instead of a shot in the dark. They gave up what, a 2nd and 4th for Wes? Talk about a HR that nobody saw coming. I like Caserio and in BB I trust. There are some good kids out there but we only have 6 picks (4 in the 1st 2 Rnds.). That scares me taking a WR. As far as Moss is concerned, why not take a low risk, production based contract? If he truly is no longer an NFL player then slice him at minimal dead space cost.

He can't be any worse than Ocho-where are you? Talk about a guy who's done. File the name Johnson under finished.

Anyone know who were the last 10 WRs the pats drafted? They have been horrible drafting WRs. Besides Givens and Branch

Anyone know who were the last 10 WRs the pats drafted? They have been horrible drafting WRs. Besides Givens and Branch

I'll give you the last 9 (Compliments of Deus, who does his homework).

2010 3 26 90 Taylor Price Ohio
2009 3 19 83 Brandon Tate North Carolina
2008 5 18 153 Matt Slater UCLA
2006 2 4 36 Chad Jackson Florida
2004 5 32 164 P.K. Sam Florida State
2003 2 13 45 Bethel Johnson Texas A&M
2002 2 33 65 Deion Branch Louisville
2002 7 33 244 David Givens Notre Dame
1999 7 35 241 Sean Morey Brown

I'd rather see 4 TE's coming out on the feild then scrapping a pick on another WR lost cause or FA has been. Keep Wes and pick up another big body with huge mits.

I'm starting to warm up to the possibility of Randy part II. However there are some "ifs" involved. IF he actually is willing to sign a non guaranteed contract like its been reported. IF he was willing to accept a low salary, incentive laden contract. If he can run at least a 4.4 forty and decent 3 cone time. And the biggest "if" of all, would be assurances that he'd be happy being just a complimentary part of the passing offense, instead of being the focus of it. (in other words, would he be happy being the #4 option)

If all those "ifs" were satisfied, I have to say WHY NOT?. He would have the skills we all say we need to add....at a discount price. He knows the offense. His teammates love him, and it will be fun to watch a FULLY chastened Randy Moss tow the line, like its never been towed before. He will then be able to retire in a year or two in the manner his HOF career should end. Not ending in the cruel whimper it did last season.

Then you could draft a Steven Hill with your 2nd pick in the 2nd round knowing he'd have a year or two to learn how to be an NFL receiver. Do that and cut Ocho and Branch and you might even SAVE some cap space and be a more well rounded pass offense.

Again. Why not... if the "ifs" are satisfied.

Last edited:
I'm starting to warm up to the possibility of Randy part II. However there are some "ifs" involved. IF he actually is willing to sign a non guaranteed contract like its been reported. IF he was willing to accept a low salary, incentive laden contract. If he can run at least a 4.4 forty and decent 3 cone time. And the biggest "if" of all, would be assurances that he'd be happy being just a complimentary part of the passing offense, instead of being the focus of it. (in other words, would he be happy being the #4 option)

If all those "ifs" were satisfied, I have to say WHY NOT?. He would have the skills we all say we need to add....at a discount price. He knows the offense. His teammates love him, and it will be fun to watch a FULLY chastened Randy Moss tow the line, like its never been towed before. He will then be able to retire in a year or two in the manner his HOF career should end. Not ending in the cruel whimper it did last season.

Then you could draft a Steven Hill with your 2nd pick in the 2nd round knowing he'd have a year or two to learn how to be an NFL receiver. Do that and cut Ocho and Branch and you might even SAVE some cap space and be a more well rounded pass offense.

I have always wanted a leopard with zebra stripes.

He doesn't have the skills we all say we need to add. In fact even if he still had the skills he had when he was 29 they weren't what this team needed to win when it mattered. What the team needs is a talented WR with the skills and versatility to run all the routes and get off the jam and get seperation quickly and make plays outside the numbers and occasionally stretch the field. Randy couldn't do that in his prime. He's a vertical threat that Brady can't remain upright long enough to hit consistently and he can't even beat single coverage consistently anymore let alone draw or beat double coverage. And even if he can still run a 4.4 40 in shorts in April when healthy he can't do it in pads in December or January when it's not.

You are clearly developing Nemitis. Tall and fast was all he ever wanted. I remember after they signed Randy he wanted Bill to trade or cut Welker since signing Moss proved Bill had just made a desperation mistake in ever acquiring the jag midget.

The ifs will never be satisfied with Randy. He will grovel now for a shot only because he has to. If he makes a team coming out ot camp he will begin to expect things like relevance, targets, money. If they aren't forthcoming or if adversity strikes in any way shape or form, he will revert to form and become the guy Bill chose to move on from in 2010. The guy Brady and Welker were pleading will all through 2009 to push through whatever physical or emotional issues were effecting him. One of the many guys from that team who simply wasn't mentally tough and couldn't or wouldn't do what Bill needed them to.

All of whom are now finally gone. That's why not.

Oh, and PS - it ended in a whimper two years ago. Last year he sat out retired.

Last edited:

Troy Williamson 2.0, guaranteed. Hill has 48 catches in 3 years.

Its one thing running straight routes against ACC defenses, and another thing trying to READ defenses to get on the same page as Brady and beat NFL caliber DB's with good route running.

If Pats want to draft a WR they need to pick one who has produced in college, a la Greg Jennings, Antonio Brown. These guys have enough experience route running to be successful at NFL level

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye