PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Randy Moss unretired (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Randy Moss/ Superbowl/ YOUR Opinion

The team's missing piece on offense during SB 46 was Rob Gronkowski. Not Randy Moss, Brandon Lloyd, or Mike Wallace.

However, having either Brandon Lloyd or Mike Wallace would've softened the punch that Gronkowski's injury laid on the Patriots offense.

If Randy Moss could play like 2007 or even 2009 Randy Moss, every Patriots fan would welcome him back.

The more likely scenario is that Randy is over the hill and doesn't have the legs to be a legitimate deep threat anymore. Tie that with his 'attitude' issues, he is not as attractive as the other WR FAs.

I'll eat my words if he shows he can still play.

this, Love Randy but the fact of the matter is he was traded mid season for a third round pick. Then waived by the vikes, and did nothing in Tennessee. Why all of the sudden would he come back and be a force for us rather than a quick fix attempt? I would rather start fresh with a younger guy who brings a little more to the table.

Last edited:

Not to nitpick but the Pats defense gave up 19 pts in the SB this yr (2 pts came off of Brady's safety throw to no one), and 17 in the last one; certainly should have been good enough to win the game--at least ONE of them.

That coincides with your point even more though, the offense should have been able to put up more than 17 and 14 pts in two SB games...that's unacceptable to say the least.

I agree with the poster who said that Gronkowski not Moss, not Lloyd, not Mike Wallace was the missing part of the offense a couple of weeks ago. A healthy Gronk would have made a ton of difference, and it's a shame that Pollard struck us once again. I think they should just go out and sign Pollard. Keep his ***** on the bench even though it'll take up a roster spot. Screw it, at this point it just may be worth it. He's successfully injured our top 3 offensive guys at very key parts of the season...that's just too weird.

As far as Moss goes...at this point, why the hell not? If he can take the vet minimum w/ incentives and take over the last depth spot that Ocho "used" the front office for, then what's the harm? The problem is that we've moved on from then, and Belichick rarely changes his mind.

We need a guy like Wayne who can make all of the correct reads and run the proper routes, tie up some of the secondary, and make the catches to move the chains. He's still a big name threat in this game. We could certainly go far with a guy like him, and the price is right.

Or someone like Lloyd could certainly come in and do the job very effectively too. My hope is one or the other.

Add in a draft choice that doesn't suck this yr, re-sign Branch as depth...whatever. If that also includes having Moss around too, I'm sure it wouldn't be any worse than having Ocho cinco last yr.

Not to nitpick but the Pats defense gave up 19 pts in the SB this yr (2 pts came off of Brady's safety throw to no one), and 17 in the last one; certainly should have been good enough to win the game--at least ONE of them.

That coincides with your point even more though, the offense should have been able to put up more than 17 and 14 pts in two SB games...that's unacceptable to say the least.

I agree with the poster who said that Gronkowski not Moss, not Lloyd, not Mike Wallace was the missing part of the offense a couple of weeks ago. A healthy Gronk would have made a ton of difference, and it's a shame that Pollard struck us once again. I think they should just go out and sign Pollard. Keep his ***** on the bench even though it'll take up a roster spot. Screw it, at this point it just may be worth it. He's successfully injured our top 3 offensive guys at very key parts of the season...that's just too weird.

As far as Moss goes...at this point, why the hell not? If he can take the vet minimum w/ incentives and take over the last depth spot that Ocho "used" the front office for, then what's the harm? The problem is that we've moved on from then, and Belichick rarely changes his mind.

We need a guy like Wayne who can make all of the correct reads and run the proper routes, tie up some of the secondary, and make the catches to move the chains. He's still a big name threat in this game. We could certainly go far with a guy like him, and the price is right.

Or someone like Lloyd could certainly come in and do the job very effectively too. My hope is one or the other.

Add in a draft choice that doesn't suck this yr, re-sign Branch as depth...whatever. If that also includes having Moss around too, I'm sure it wouldn't be any worse than having Ocho cinco last yr.

All great points. :) I do feel as if Wayne might be expensive though. Only because other teams would be offering him more.

I agree in that I think BB should have signed moss up prior to this years SB when he knew that gronks ankle was done...at that he was NOT going to be able to contribute anything
Now you have ocho who is useless....Branch not much ..
Underalls...puh-leese . Which means all the pressure went at welk and Hernandez. Moss could have helped. Not sure about what will happen this season
Its crazy to think some people still have it out for Randy, even after all he did for this organization. If the Pats did bring back Randy, it would be for the vet minimum, maybe a little more. This past season especially should show that player chemistry is a big factor. Anyone here that would take the OchoCinco over Randy Moss it utterly insane. Chad Johnson was a failed experiment in year 1, even when he was first acquired Brady was enthused only because it was the "Patriot way". Hell, Underwood was on the roster for how many games getting paid and sitting on the bench, Branch was getting paid to play mediocre football and the only reason he was EVEN BROUGHT BACK was so Brady would be less butthurt about losing Moss. So regardless of what the media said or what fans "saw", did he shoot his mouth off? I guess. Did he get emotional and start dogging it? Yes, according to all the psychiatrists on here. BUT did he ever stop being a leader in the locker room? Not that I know of.

Honestly, luck played a HUGE part in both 42 and 46. The giants did what they needed to do to win super bowl 42. Did they have the better team? No, definitely not. The offense struggled and the defense could only hold them so many times. Superbowl 46 was a completely different story, were the Giants the better team? Seems so. Even from the Giants themselves, calling out the Pats because of no deep threat. Even during Super Bowl 42 Randy ALMOST came up with a bomb down field covered by at least a CB and safety. The defense held the Giants to 21 points, and the offense yet again only put up 17, 3 more than 4 years ago. So two different teams, same outcome. So I just have a couple questions for everyone, just to get the opinions.

You would rather have Tiquan Underwood and Chad Ochocinco on the Roster than Randy Moss?

You think (6,0) Mike Wallace or (6,0) Brandon Loyld is going to be the missing piece of the offense? Not to mention what the Pats would give up or the amount of money it would take to secure either of these guys.

So just state your opinion.

P.s. if this needs to be moved feel free, not really sure where this would go other than maybe Moss Unretired but this also has to do with super bowl.

Randy Moss can add a lot to our team, but his other issues detract from the team...

If he was not such a head case would be compared to Rice...

The Super Bowl was a very close game.

There are lots of guys whose presence on the Pats roster would probably have turned a loss into a win.

Moss is nowhere near the top of that list, if indeed he's on it at all.

We can say this player would have been the difference, or that player would have been the difference. Or we can say this play would have been the difference, or that play would have been the difference.

I guess what's clear is you go from a very close hard-fought game, and you add an extra "something." If you hate our playcalling, you say that if we were to run the ball X more times that is the difference.

You can say we "just couldn't take advantage of the Giants deep" but Gronk got open and the ball wasn't there, and the ball was there for Welker, and he didn't catch it.

The only way you can establish the premise that we "would have" won, is to add a whole extra layer to be head and shoulders better than the Giants... on paper. It still comes down to playing the game.

Would I like to have had Randy Moss, c 2007 out there? Yeah and I bet they would have like to have Strahan c 2007 on the field.

The difference is the Gintz have recognized a dimension (pass rush & more generally defense) and made really good choices lately. For now, it's a very good unit -- not enough to be head and shoulders above the Pats, whole-team versus whole team. But a very good unit.

Yeah it sucked to make the big move toward the TE position all season, then losing 1/2 of that attack in the 'ship... but life does, in fact, suck, when it goes someone else's way.

I don't think you can fix what ailed us in the last game, and call that a plan. I think you need to shake that crap loose and say "what's best for the 2012 team." That might be a big difference between a talent evaluation staff and the fans.

Its crazy to think some people still have it out for Randy, even after all he did for this organization. If the Pats did bring back Randy, it would be for the vet minimum, maybe a little more. This past season especially should show that player chemistry is a big factor. Anyone here that would take the OchoCinco over Randy Moss it utterly insane. Chad Johnson was a failed experiment in year 1, even when he was first acquired Brady was enthused only because it was the "Patriot way". Hell, Underwood was on the roster for how many games getting paid and sitting on the bench, Branch was getting paid to play mediocre football and the only reason he was EVEN BROUGHT BACK was so Brady would be less butthurt about losing Moss. So regardless of what the media said or what fans "saw", did he shoot his mouth off? I guess. Did he get emotional and start dogging it? Yes, according to all the psychiatrists on here. BUT did he ever stop being a leader in the locker room? Not that I know of.

Honestly, luck played a HUGE part in both 42 and 46. The giants did what they needed to do to win super bowl 42. Did they have the better team? No, definitely not. The offense struggled and the defense could only hold them so many times. Superbowl 46 was a completely different story, were the Giants the better team? Seems so. Even from the Giants themselves, calling out the Pats because of no deep threat. Even during Super Bowl 42 Randy ALMOST came up with a bomb down field covered by at least a CB and safety. The defense held the Giants to 21 points, and the offense yet again only put up 17, 3 more than 4 years ago. So two different teams, same outcome. So I just have a couple questions for everyone, just to get the opinions.

You would rather have Tiquan Underwood and Chad Ochocinco on the Roster than Randy Moss?

You think (6,0) Mike Wallace or (6,0) Brandon Loyld is going to be the missing piece of the offense? Not to mention what the Pats would give up or the amount of money it would take to secure either of these guys.

So just state your opinion.

P.s. if this needs to be moved feel free, not really sure where this would go other than maybe Moss Unretired but this also has to do with super bowl.

We woudn't have won this superbowl with Moss on the roster any more than we did the last one. We don't need a deep threat. We need a WR who can stretch the field horizontally and vertically. We probably would have won absent that had Gronkowski been healthy, but we didn't have a margin for error when he wasn't. I didn't want Ocho here because I didn't think he'd fit in the offense based on his decade long performances in Cincy. I could not have cared less whether hightop was on the roster because he wasn't going to provide a margin for error, either. Any more than Moss would have.

As for where this thread should go, practice squad seems like a no brainer...

I think the posters who have pointed out that it's a question of "which" Randy Moss have hit the nail on the head. If five years could be wished away and we could have the Randy Moss of 2007 back, I think most people, including myself, would say, "Yes, take him" in a heartbeat.

I don't see what the argument would be with the Pats working him out and assessing his situation. Then, as always, I would take the approach: "In BB I trust."

As for whether we would have been better off with him last season...that's the past and hypothetical..."woulda, coulda, shoulda, mighta"...I'm not interested in speculating about it.

Yes. Most assuredly, yes. Randy Moss is a me-first geezer who made a complete idiot out of himself. He then went on to poison two other teams and couldn't outrun anyone or block anyone down field. Underwood and Ocho took the high road when their playing time was curtailed.

There is a list as long as your arm of WRs available that rank ahead of all three guys including Deion Branch, Wallace and Lloyd.

Randy Moss and TO are over-the-hill morons who spoiled their careers by staying too long and shooting off their mouths.

Yes. Most assuredly, yes. Randy Moss is a me-first geezer who made a complete idiot out of himself. He then went on to poison two other teams and couldn't outrun anyone or block anyone down field. Underwood and Ocho took the high road when their playing time was curtailed.

There is a list as long as your arm of WRs available that rank ahead of all three guys including Deion Branch, Wallace and Lloyd.

Randy Moss and TO are over-the-hill morons who spoiled their careers by staying too long and shooting off their mouths.

Ocho and underwood..over moss...really? wow

wow...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: Patriots WR Randy Moss diagnosed with separated shoulder - ESPN Boston

Wide receiver Randy Moss was diagnosed with a separated shoulder following the Patriots' season and that was the reason he did not play in the Pro Bowl, a league source said on Monday.

The severity of the injury is not known, although rest alone can often heal a separated shoulder.

Moss had surfaced on the injury report with a shoulder ailment three days after the Patriots' 20-17 overtime loss to the Broncos on Oct. 11. He remained on the injury report because of the shoulder through Nov. 6, although he played through the injury.

Moss had taken himself out of the Broncos game for two plays after a 36-yard reception in the third quarter. On the play, in which he caught a pass over the middle and then was running down the field, Moss considered a lateral before tucking the ball and then having three Broncos drive him into the ground.

Still, Moss returned to the game, and it is unclear if that was the play in which he injured his shoulder.

Moss started all 16 games this season and finished second on the team with 83 receptions for 1,264 yards and a team-high 13 touchdowns. He played in approximately 85 percent of the team's offensive snaps, easily a team-high among receivers.

Moss had played through significant back pain in the team's 26-10 win over the Falcons on Sept. 27. The back injury first surfaced Sept. 25 and had Moss on the injury report through Oct. 1.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems like a lot of people on this board WANT to believe that Randy Moss is done. He had a pretty decent season in 2009 despite being injured ALL year with a bad back and shoulder. 2010 was the shutdown year - shutdown in NE because of contract, shutdown in MN because Chilly was an idiot, and shutdown in TN because they wanted to use him only as a decoy. Why is it so hard to believe?

Ok, he had a separated shoulder (I didn't remember that), but it is unknown if it was a severe separated shoulder or "I am looking for an excuse to get out of the Pro Bowl" separated shoulder. Every year Brady made the Pro Bowl in recent years, he has had an "injury" that kept him out of the game which apparently the only only way to treat said injury was for Brady to play the Pro-Am golf tournament that goes on that same weekend. Moss could have legitimately had a separated shoulder and a severe one or that was his excuse to get out of the Pro Bowl.

Personally, I don't care one way or another if Moss is done. Actually, I do since odds are much better than he will be a Jets than a Patriot because the Jets are going bargain shopping this year. If he doesn't go to the Jets, I could care less about him either way.

I am just tired of the "bring Randy Moss back" crap. He isn't coming back. That ship has sailed. He would have come back to the Pats last year for an one year deal if the Pats called after he realized he wasn't getting a long term deal, but the Pats weren't interested. They aren't going back now.

BTW, while Moss was on the injury report with his shoulder, he played well. After he got off the injury report, his season fell apart.

I wish Randy all the luck in the world on whatever team he ends up on unless he ends up on the Jets. It is just very unlikely it won't be the Patriots.

Last edited:
Ok, he had a separated shoulder (I didn't remember that), but it is unknown if it was a severe separated shoulder or "I am looking for an excuse to get out of the Pro Bowl" separated shoulder. Every year Brady made the Pro Bowl in recent years, he has had an "injury" that kept him out of the game which apparently the only only way to treat said injury was for Brady to play the Pro-Am golf tournament that goes on that same weekend. Moss could have legitimately had a separated shoulder and a severe one or that was his excuse to get out of the Pro Bowl.

Personally, I don't care one way or another if Moss is done. Actually, I do since odds are much better than he will be a Jets than a Patriot because the Jets are going bargain shopping this year. If he doesn't go to the Jets, I could care less about him either way.

I am just tired of the "bring Randy Moss back" crap. He isn't coming back. That ship has sailed. He would have come back to the Pats last year for an one year deal if the Pats called after he realized he wasn't getting a long term deal, but the Pats weren't interested. They aren't going back now.

BTW, while Moss was on the injury report with his shoulder, he played well. After he got off the injury report, his season fell apart.

I wish Randy all the luck in the world on whatever team he ends up on unless he ends up on the Jets. It is just very unlikely it won't be the Patriots.

Dont know if you are in the Wallace comming here camp, but there is a 10000000000 better chacne that Moss comes here then him.

Because he is a good player.

A good player doesnt catch 6 passes for 80 yards in 8 games on a team desperate for receivers.

Dont know if you are in the Wallace comming here camp, but there is a 10000000000 better chacne that Moss comes here then him.

You are comparing one player who has virtually no chance of being a Patriots with a player with next to no chance of being a Patriot. I give both Wallace and Moss a slightly better chance than either Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald playing for the Patriots next year.

My 2012 WR corp prediction will be Brandon Lloyd and Wes Welker as starters and Deion Branch, Julian Edelman, maybe Chd Ochocinco if he takes a pay cut and learns the playbook, and probably a rookie or two. My wild card back up is Eddie Royal. Neither Wallace or Moss are even on the radar IMHO.

You are comparing one player who has virtually no chance of being a Patriots with a player with next to no chance of being a Patriot. I give both Wallace and Moss a slightly better chance than either Calvin Johnson or Larry Fitzgerald playing for the Patriots next year.

My 2012 WR corp prediction will be Brandon Lloyd and Wes Welker as starters and Deion Branch, Julian Edelman, maybe Chd Ochocinco if he takes a pay cut and learns the playbook, and probably a rookie or two. My wild card back up is Eddie Royal. Neither Wallace or Moss are even on the radar IMHO.

I'd take that lineup you just spoke of. No doubt.

I just think Moss has a little left in him and spite can be a big factor in a persons performance.

Ocho and underwood..over moss...really? wow

wow...

Let's put it this way. Which of these three guys would you have working for you?

Yeah, and if you saw him with the Titans you could see why, Randy looked slooooooooow

I love Randy he's my fav player ever but I'm not really a fan of going back to the past to fix future problems. Bottom line is last time the world saw Moss he didn't look like he belonged in the NFL.

Moss is a long-strider. Even when he was young, he often "looked" slow. Or lazy. But that has kinda been his thing. While most guys seem to shorten their stride to accelerate, Moss seems to lengthen his. A guy covering him would see him continuing to lope along and wouldn't realize till too late that Moss had him by a couple yards.

OTOH, he'd been working through injuries that actually DID slow him down since about midway through the 2009 season. So, really hard to say where he is now based on a few games with TEN, where there were, of course, several other issues with the offense.

Moss is a long-strider. Even when he was young, he often "looked" slow. Or lazy. But that has kinda been his thing. While most guys seem to shorten their stride to accelerate, Moss seems to lengthen his. A guy covering him would see him continuing to lope along and wouldn't realize till too late that Moss had him by a couple yards.

OTOH, he'd been working through injuries that actually DID slow him down since about midway through the 2009 season. So, really hard to say where he is now based on a few games with TEN, where there were, of course, several other issues with the offense.

That would be an OK explanation if his prodcution was a little off, but he was terrible. He caught 6 passes in 8 games. He was on the bench behind stiffs.
For those 8 games he probably had the least recpetions per snaps played of any WR in the entire NFL, and if it wasn't the least he was only behind some stiffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots