PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Randy Moss unretired (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kind of like Branch a rew years ago? Werid.

How do those situations have anything to do with each other?
Branch held out and was traded for a 1st round pick because he refused to accept a contract from the Pats. Moss was let go because they didn't want him any more.

How do those situations have anything to do with each other?
Branch held out and was traded for a 1st round pick because he refused to accept a contract from the Pats. Moss was let go because they didn't want him any more.

You should let go of your hate for Moss.

You should let go of your hate for Moss.

I have no hate for Moss. I loved him when he could play.
Realizing he is over the hill isn't hating.

I don't want Dillon, Bruschi, Harrison, McGinest, Law back either because they can't play any more. Doesnt mean I hate them.

Moss was no longer effective in 2010, he won't be in 2012.

Pretty much end of thread. There is no way Bill signs Randy Moss. He wouldn't have released Randy 2 seasons ago if he thought he could be an effective player. It's far too late now. Teams need to think about the future and there isn't much of a future for Moss. I can only see a team signing him if they are desperate and have injured players going into the 2012 season. I bet he doesn't get signed by anyone.

Pretty much end of thread. There is no way Bill signs Randy Moss. He wouldn't have released Randy 2 seasons ago if he thought he could be an effective player. It's far too late now. Teams need to think about the future and there isn't much of a future for Moss. I can only see a team signing him if they are desperate and have injured players going into the 2012 season. I bet he doesn't get signed by anyone.

The problem is we have many fans on this board who didn't want to accept that Moss' skills were eroded in 2010, so they convinced themselves that BB just decided to get rid of Moss because Moss didn't like that it was the last year of his contract, so even though he could still play, BB just decided to let him go. Then he went to 2 other teams and sucked. So now it becomes he didn't WANT to play and still had all the talent in the world, but decided to pout it away.
Then BB really wanted him last year, but Moss quit because he wanted a big contract. Now Moss has decided that he wants to play and play hard. "He learned his lesson". So all of those games when he sucked 2 years ago don't matter because he could have dominated if he wanted to, and now he wants to. So BB will come running to Randy and ask him to pretty please come back since now he learned his lesson and promises he wants to play hard, and all that skill erosion, well that was just a joke.
If you can convince yourself of that many fanstasies, you can convince yourself of anything.

The problem is we have many fans on this board who didn't want to accept that Moss' skills were eroded in 2010, so they convinced themselves that BB just decided to get rid of Moss because Moss didn't like that it was the last year of his contract, so even though he could still play, BB just decided to let him go. Then he went to 2 other teams and sucked. So now it becomes he didn't WANT to play and still had all the talent in the world, but decided to pout it away.
Then BB really wanted him last year, but Moss quit because he wanted a big contract. Now Moss has decided that he wants to play and play hard. "He learned his lesson". So all of those games when he sucked 2 years ago don't matter because he could have dominated if he wanted to, and now he wants to. So BB will come running to Randy and ask him to pretty please come back since now he learned his lesson and promises he wants to play hard, and all that skill erosion, well that was just a joke.
If you can convince yourself of that many fanstasies, you can convince yourself of anything.

I think so many people on this board want him back here because it would make a great story (If he contributes). That and for some reason pats fans think he would be a legitimate deep threat. They fail to realize that Belichick doesn't work that way. I don't think he'd ever release a player who's lost a couple steps and isn't contributing much only to bring him back 2 seasons later. Also, he was pretty useless in Minnesota and Tennessee to finish that year.

Nope, I'm a pats fan. I just think people are silly when they say something has no chance.

I guess there is a chance the Pats bring back Moss. Anything is possible. Is it likely? Probably not. Would I advise you to bet money on him being back? Absolutely not.

I still think if the Pats wanted Moss back, he would have been on the team in 2010. I think Moss desperately wanted/wants to be a Patriot again. If the Pats offered him an one year contract like rumored, I can't see him passing it up.

Whether he just quit on the team or he hit the age wall (I am betting the later over the former), he was a shell of himself in 2010. The fact of the matter is that Moss hasn't had an 100 yard game since November 15, 2009. He did have a three TD game in December of that year in a blow out of the Jags (although one was in garbage time and the other was after getting a 21-0 lead late in the second quarter).

Yeah, the thing that makes no sense is that Moss quit because he wanted to get paid. How does that make sense. Moss wanted the Pats or another team to pay him money and he was trying his hardest to prove he wasn't worth that contract by playing like crap on purpose.

The fact of the matter was his skills started to erode at the tail end of 2009. After a strong first half of that season, he limped through the final half. In the first 9 games, Moss had 891 yards (average of 99 YPG) and 7 TDs. In the final 7 games, he had 373 yards (average of 53.3 YPG) and 6 TDs (three came vs. the Jags). Yes, he had good TD totals all year although nearly half of his total TDs (6) came in two blow outs against bad teams (3 TDs vs. Tennessee in a 59-0 blowout where the Titans had -7 yards total passing, yes -7 yards, and 3 TDs vs, the Jags in a 35-7 blowout which wasn't nearly as close as the score indicates).

Last edited:

Branch isn't 35 and he never relied on his speed, he is/was a route runner. Brady to a past-his-prime Branch is much less dangerous than Brady to a not-going-try-on-this-route Moss.

The Pats let Branch go because they made a stupid mistake allowing Branch to test the market to see if he could get a better deal elsewhere. When he did and the Pats refused to trade him, he filed a grievance with the league. The league pressured the Pats to trade him because if Branch won with an independent arbitrator, it could have destroyed the free agency system.

The Pats got Branch back two years ago at age 30 which is still the tail end of the prime of his career. Also, Branch never relied on his speed to be effective. He is a smart route runner who relied on quickness over speed.

Moss is 35 and hasn't been good since the first half of 2009. He is a speedy deep threat. WRs who rely on their speed usually hit the age wall fast and hard, usually in their early to mid 30s.

I think Moss was hurt the last year her played (reports of huge ice packs, seperated shoulder)

I'd just like to know when you think he "lost his skill" he led the NFL in TDs his last full sesason with Brady, I think he had a few TD the few games he played with the pats in 2010, including one where he mad Revis looks silly with a one handed deep catch, which may be the best catch ever.

He then got traded to two horrible teams, and yea maybe he didnt try, which i admit is a problem. But I really dont think his skills dropped off that much. I think with a year off to rest his body and his mind that Moss would be an asset to the team. Do I think 2007 would happen again? Probably not. But we dont need it to. Randy does not have to carry all that weight like he did then.

I'm not saying 2012 Moss will destroy the NFL with numbers.
I am saying that 2012 Moss, Gronk, AH, Welker and someone like Loyd or Wayne would be unstoppable in an entire new way.

Moss statistics:

- Targeted: 159
- Receptions: 98 (61.6%)
- Yds/Rec: 15.2
- Yds/Target: 9.4
- TD: 23

- Targeted: 126
- Receptions: 69 (54.8%)
- Yds/Rec: 14.6
- Yds/Target: 8.0
- TD: 11

- Targeted: 137
- Receptions: 83 (60.6%)
- Yds/Rec: 15.2
- Yds/Target: 9.2
- TD: 13

- Targeted: 63
- Receptions: 28 (44.4%)
- Yds/Rec: 14.0
- Yds/Target: 6.2
- TD: 5

*With NE in 2010, Moss's stats:
- Targeted: 21
- Receptions: 9 (42.9%)
- Yds/Rec: 15.4
- Yds/Target: 6.6
- TD: 3

So with Tom Brady as his QB, his receptions % (receptions / targets) went from 61.6% to 60.6% to 42.9%. Most of his routes in 2010 with the Pats were deep balls, and Brady sure forced some in there. But clearly Moss wasn't as effective as he had been.

I think Moss was hurt the last year her played (reports of huge ice packs, seperated shoulder)

I'd just like to know when you think he "lost his skill" he led the NFL in TDs his last full sesason with Brady, I think he had a few TD the few games he played with the pats in 2010, including one where he mad Revis looks silly with a one handed deep catch, which may be the best catch ever.

He then got traded to two horrible teams, and yea maybe he didnt try, which i admit is a problem. But I really dont think his skills dropped off that much. I think with a year off to rest his body and his mind that Moss would be an asset to the team. Do I think 2007 would happen again? Probably not. But we dont need it to. Randy does not have to carry all that weight like he did then.

I am saying that 2012 Moss, Gronk, AH, Welker and someone like Loyd or Wayne would be unstoppable in an entire new way.

Using ice packs could be a sign of old age for a player. I never heard of any rumors of a separate shoulders.

All you seem to do is make excuses for the guy though. The fact of the matter is that his last 11 games for the Pats over two year he was just not the same player he was. He was dropping a lot of balls, not getting a lot of separation, and not fighting for balls. And now he is another year and a half older.

I don't think you will ever see the receiver combo you state because I still don't see Moss coming back to the Pats.

What coaches? Links to where its written?

NFL.com news: Titans officials say Moss didn't hurt team in 2010 stint

Both reading and reading comprehension (and judging from Breer's choice of spin comprehension in general) are dying skills.

This article basically said he beings great (fun) energy to practice, although he doesn't practice hard although he didn't really dog it in practice as much as they anticipated in Tenn, just in games when he was primarily a decoy and not the focus. Like he dogs it when he's bracketed or double covered and can't make a play early on so he checks out. But he's a great influence on young players, as long as THAT isn't what you want them to learn. They are in awe of him, and we know how awe works here thanks to Chad. It was actually the young DB's here he played pied piper to, and they all busted along with any young WR's here in his tenure, except for McCourty who has either contracted their same failure to develop or hopefully just encountered a sophomore slump... Our DB's will be young from here on out and our TE's are as are our RB's and any WR's we draft will be not to mention if we add a FA WR he'll be new to the system so...

He is still apparently a smooth strider with good hands only if he can't beat coverage and he can't or won't battle for balls vertically and he alligator arms throws over the middle and he checks out when he gets shut down or smacked in the mouth or relegated to decoy routes... the occasional one handed grab isn't going to amount to enough to justify the roster spot let alone a dedicated slot in personnel groupings among guys who may never have been all world deep threats but still manage to be productive in all phases of the offense.

They're all hurt by mid season if not sooner. Guys who are mentally and physically tough find a way to play through it and play well enough to help their team win. Brady and Welker were hurting too, and they spent the last 6 weeks of that 2009 season pleading with "teamates" to push through "whatever" was ailing them...

And as for your selective Moss/Revis memories, that last time he beat Revis was the first time in a long time and Revis was battling a bad hammy that almost didn't allow him to start the season and he was limping badly and pulled up on that reception. Revis wasn't right that season until about a month or so into it.

Using ice packs could be a sign of old age for a player. I never heard of any rumors of a separate shoulders.

All you seem to do is make excuses for the guy though. The fact of the matter is that his last 11 games for the Pats over two year he was just not the same player he was. He was dropping a lot of balls, not getting a lot of separation, and not fighting for balls. And now he is another year and a half older.

I don't think you will ever see the receiver combo you state because I still don't see Moss coming back to the Pats.

Any shoulder injuries may have been the result of all the weight professed he carried on them...

OK, then please stop saying the Pats offered him a contract and say you heard a rumor they might have.
And I disagree, they got rid of Moss because he was done, and he went on to prove that.
How did 6 receptions in 8 games in Tenn leave anyone doubting he was done?

Because we're all still hanging onto Randy 2007-2009. No teams sees 7-8 guys in the box the way the Titans do - if Randy can't produce against that defense then I can only guess how much his skills have deteriorated.

It was crystal clear that Brady moved off of Moss after the 1st Jet game in 2010.
Moss was single covered by Cromartie, and Brady should have thrown for 400 yards and put up 30+ points that day if Moss made the plays Moss was able to make before that.
Everyone, including me, initially felt Brady played poorly in that game, but when I studied the film it was brutally obvious that Moss either didn't try or his skills had heavily eroded. Brady stopped believing in Moss immediately and it showed in the ensuing couple of games. Then Moss was cut loose, and it was still unclear to me whether it was wouldn't or couldn't. He went on to prove it was couldn't in Minn and Tenn.

I remember that game well. I had been positive towards Moss who had reported to camp in outstanding physical shape but in the Jets game I had an epiphany that Moss was ineffective against talented well coached physical defenses like we'd encounter in the playoffs. And yes, that Brady had timed out in his friend's incessant need to have his fragile psyche stroked. The following weeks non-contributions only bolstered that opinion.

Last edited:
This thread has mostly recycled a lot of guesswork. Nobody posting here knows if Moss can play. Nobody posting here knows if Moss' problems in 2010 were talent related. And people keep citing to him Vikings and Titans experiences as if they were meaningful when they really weren't. In Minnesota, the team was coming unglued and Childress was coming into his final days. Moss wasn't cut because of his play, but because Childress didn't want him there after comments that he made. Hell, in the Patriots/Vikings game, BB made sure Moss was getting doubled and over the topped, so he clearly still respected Moss' ability (Whether that was a general respect or just the respect of the 'former player incentive' is something we don't know). In Tennessee, as a cited article pointed out, Moss wasn't being used because of the way the offensive coordinator had chosen to go. This was known from the start, because they were running the offense around Britt. It was talked about during the first Titan game Moss was in.

And the whole "he wasn't effective" stuff shouldn't be surprising, since his decline from being able to routinely beat double teams had already taken place and been talked about here. His days of beating triple coverage were over (I think that was 2009 discussions), and his days of beating double coverage were coming to a close. The question we have today is whether his days of beating single coverage have passed. If not, he's still potentially a player of value to some teams in the NFL. Nobody on this board knows the answer, and only time will tell.

But it's the slow season so, please, let's have another 500 posts on whether or not Moss can still play.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe