PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Randy Moss unretired (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any shoulder injuries may have been the result of all the weight professed he carried on them...

LOL! I have heard that carrying the weight of the world on your shoulders can cause a separated shoulder.

This thread has mostly recycled a lot of guesswork. Nobody posting here knows if Moss can play. Nobody posting here knows if Moss' problems in 2010 were talent related. And people keep citing to him Vikings and Titans experiences as if they were meaningful when they really weren't. In Minnesota, the team was coming unglued and Childress was coming into his final days. Moss wasn't cut because of his play, but because Childress didn't want him there after comments that he made. Hell, in the Patriots/Vikings game, BB made sure Moss was getting doubled and over the topped, so he clearly still respected Moss' ability (Whether that was a general respect or just the respect of the 'former player incentive' is something we don't know). In Tennessee, as a cited article pointed out, Moss wasn't being used because of the way the offensive coordinator had chosen to go. This was known from the start, because they were running the offense around Britt. It was talked about during the first Titan game Moss was in.

And the whole "he wasn't effective" stuff shouldn't be surprising, since his decline from being able to routinely beat double teams had already taken place and been talked about here. His days of beating triple coverage were over (I think that was 2009 discussions), and his days of beating double coverage were coming to a close. The question we have today is whether his days of beating single coverage have passed. If not, he's still potentially a player of value to some teams in the NFL. Nobody on this board knows the answer, and only time will tell.

But it's the slow season so, please, let's have another 500 posts on whether or not Moss can still play.

Nah, instead lets have 500 posts making excuses for why he didn't produce anything.
Yeah, the Titans just decided that they didn't want to throw to Randy Moss because of all that other talent they had around, and lets revise history to pretend that it was about Kenny Britt who missed half of those games with an injury.

Moss stuff in a piece by Guregian.....

“The bottom line, his work ethic, or his route-running ability, or taking plays off wasn’t what got him traded,” Evans said. “What got him traded was breaking the Patriots code. He ran his mouth in the media and handled things the wrong way. I don’t know if Bill can find it in his heart to forgive him and trust him again. I don’t know. I do know that teammates who played with him in ’07 and ’08 will probably be highly likely to give him that pass. He messed up. He knows he messed up.’’

Randy Moss stirs up talk of return - BostonHerald.com

Seems any player would love to have him.

They'd probably elect him a captain again... That's why they don't let the inmates run this asylum here... He's vacationing this week with the Faulk's and Wilfork's, and I think it's great he's finally made some lifelong friends. I'm surprised Chad and Evelyn aren't along.

He poses problems for coaching staffs and FO's when he loses focus or gets disenchanted with his role or has to deal with anything approaching adversity. Players are a fraternity, moreso these days than ever, but coaches and FO's are the ones tasked with constructing a roster and building a team and making sure all the pieces fit and do their job so those same players are put in a position to succeed and win. Building a team that is mentally tough regardless of talent is job one here. Bringing in a guy you know isn't, and one you know other players - and particularly young ones - gravitate to, is asking for trouble.

That's why Brady often acknowledges the disciplined job the FO does and how he's glad it's not his to do because he'd just hang on to or sign all his friends... Kinda like fans who want to keep or sign all their favorite names.

They'd probably elect him a captain again... That's why they don't let the inmates run this asylum here... He's vacationing this week with the Faulk's and Wilfork's, and I think it's great he's finally made some lifelong friends. I'm surprised Chad and Evelyn aren't along.

He poses problems for coaching staffs and FO's when he loses focus or gets disenchanted with his role or has to deal with anything approaching adversity. Players are a fraternity, moreso these days than ever, but coaches and FO's are the ones tasked with constructing a roster and building a team and making sure all the pieces fit and do their job so those same players are put in a position to succeed and win. Building a team that is mentally tough regardless of talent is job one here. Bringing in a guy you know isn't, and one you know other players - and particularly young ones - gravitate to, is asking for trouble.

That's why Brady often acknowledges the disciplined job the FO does and how he's glad it's not his to do because he'd just hang on to or sign all his friends... Kinda like fans who want to keep or sign all their favorite names.

Bledsoe wanted Todd Rucci and Max Lane on the team so bad, he convinced Kraft to give them inflated contracts that played a part in why Curtis Martin bolting to the Jets (the Pats didn't have the cap room to sign him early in part because of Rucci's and Lane's contracts). Rucci and Lane repaid Bledsoe by getting him killed every Sunday by other teams' pass rushers. Right there is Exhibit A why players wanting another player on the team isn't necessarily a good thing.

That's some nice insight from Heath Evans

Still, as we all know the first question is - can he still play. Nothing I saw from him in 2010, let alone 2011 makes me think he can.

And while the 2010 team might welcome him back, the 2012 team will be a completely different team.

Good point, along the same lines, (and what people who think they know everything forget) while, the 2011 BB might not have wanted Moss, the 2012 BB might want Moss

Good point, along the same lines, (and what people who think they know everything forget) while, the 2011 BB might not have wanted Moss, the 2012 BB might want Moss

LOL Reading comprehension is indeed a lost art. Teams change dramatically in the course of 2-3 seasons. In fact a lot of the kids who were so enamored with Randy, the promising young WR's and particularly the young DB's, are gone now. Bill is still the same guy he was in 2009. He just seems kinder and gentler because the 2011 team didn't frustrate the bejesus out of him all season like that 2009 team did.

For the love of God, why? :confused: :eek: :p

LOL Reading comprehension is indeed a lost art. Teams change dramatically in the course of 2-3 seasons. In fact a lot of the kids who were so enamored with Randy, the promising young WR's and particularly the young DB's, are gone now. Bill is still the same guy he was in 2009. He just seems kinder and gentler because the 2011 team didn't frustrate the bejesus out of him all season like that 2009 team did.

I read just fine.

But whatever.

Bledsoe wanted Todd Rucci and Max Lane on the team so bad, he convinced Kraft to give them inflated contracts that played a part in why Curtis Martin bolting to the Jets (the Pats didn't have the cap room to sign him early in part because of Rucci's and Lane's contracts). Rucci and Lane repaid Bledsoe by getting him killed every Sunday by other teams' pass rushers. Right there is Exhibit A why players wanting another player on the team isn't necessarily a good thing.

Max Lane. There's a guy worth remembering. His name should be synonymous with "gaping hole."

As in, the suicide bomber blew a Max Lane in his torso when the explosives detonated.

Or, the gigantic shark tore a Max Lane in Quint's fishing boat in the movie "Jaws."

Or, Rex Ryan just can't keep the Max Lane in his face shut.

If Randy could take Deon branch's brain for the season I think he would have a productive season. Randy was and probably still is a very emotional and competitive player. But could he really be the third or 4th option for an NFL team? Did the past season off make him realize something that he never quite got before?

I personally think if he had the right attitude he could still be productive. He was still making great plays right up until he left.. and after he left he had kerry collins throwing him the ball.. Vodka ******* Collins..

His production obviously dropped off and most likely he did not find the fountain of youth when he left so maybe he should stay retired but my guess is physically he could still play at the NFL level.

Using ice packs could be a sign of old age for a player. I never heard of any rumors of a separate shoulders.

All you seem to do is make excuses for the guy though. The fact of the matter is that his last 11 games for the Pats over two year he was just not the same player he was. He was dropping a lot of balls, not getting a lot of separation, and not fighting for balls. And now he is another year and a half older.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: Patriots WR Randy Moss diagnosed with separated shoulder - ESPN Boston

Wide receiver Randy Moss was diagnosed with a separated shoulder following the Patriots' season and that was the reason he did not play in the Pro Bowl, a league source said on Monday.

The severity of the injury is not known, although rest alone can often heal a separated shoulder.

Moss had surfaced on the injury report with a shoulder ailment three days after the Patriots' 20-17 overtime loss to the Broncos on Oct. 11. He remained on the injury report because of the shoulder through Nov. 6, although he played through the injury.

Moss had taken himself out of the Broncos game for two plays after a 36-yard reception in the third quarter. On the play, in which he caught a pass over the middle and then was running down the field, Moss considered a lateral before tucking the ball and then having three Broncos drive him into the ground.

Still, Moss returned to the game, and it is unclear if that was the play in which he injured his shoulder.

Moss started all 16 games this season and finished second on the team with 83 receptions for 1,264 yards and a team-high 13 touchdowns. He played in approximately 85 percent of the team's offensive snaps, easily a team-high among receivers.

Moss had played through significant back pain in the team's 26-10 win over the Falcons on Sept. 27. The back injury first surfaced Sept. 25 and had Moss on the injury report through Oct. 1.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seems like a lot of people on this board WANT to believe that Randy Moss is done. He had a pretty decent season in 2009 despite being injured ALL year with a bad back and shoulder. 2010 was the shutdown year - shutdown in NE because of contract, shutdown in MN because Chilly was an idiot, and shutdown in TN because they wanted to use him only as a decoy. Why is it so hard to believe?

How do those situations have anything to do with each other?
Branch held out and was traded for a 1st round pick because he refused to accept a contract from the Pats. Moss was let go because they didn't want him any more.

Moss was let go because he shot his way out of town, not because they didn't want him. The Patriots were interested in bringing him back at a reduced salary if TN wouldn't have claimed him.

Minnesota Vikings decide to waive receiver Randy Moss - ESPN

"Various league sources told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter that the Dallas Cowboys, Washington Redskins, Chicago Bears, St. Louis Rams, Miami Dolphins, Oakland Raiders, Kansas City Chiefs, Seattle Seahawks, New York Jets and even the Patriots are among the teams possibly interested in claiming Moss"

Patriots were 32nd in pecking order at the time, so there was no point in even making a claim for them.

Randy Moss/ Superbowl/ YOUR Opinion

Its crazy to think some people still have it out for Randy, even after all he did for this organization. If the Pats did bring back Randy, it would be for the vet minimum, maybe a little more. This past season especially should show that player chemistry is a big factor. Anyone here that would take the OchoCinco over Randy Moss it utterly insane. Chad Johnson was a failed experiment in year 1, even when he was first acquired Brady was enthused only because it was the "Patriot way". Hell, Underwood was on the roster for how many games getting paid and sitting on the bench, Branch was getting paid to play mediocre football and the only reason he was EVEN BROUGHT BACK was so Brady would be less butthurt about losing Moss. So regardless of what the media said or what fans "saw", did he shoot his mouth off? I guess. Did he get emotional and start dogging it? Yes, according to all the psychiatrists on here. BUT did he ever stop being a leader in the locker room? Not that I know of.

Honestly, luck played a HUGE part in both 42 and 46. The giants did what they needed to do to win super bowl 42. Did they have the better team? No, definitely not. The offense struggled and the defense could only hold them so many times. Superbowl 46 was a completely different story, were the Giants the better team? Seems so. Even from the Giants themselves, calling out the Pats because of no deep threat. Even during Super Bowl 42 Randy ALMOST came up with a bomb down field covered by at least a CB and safety. The defense held the Giants to 21 points, and the offense yet again only put up 17, 3 more than 4 years ago. So two different teams, same outcome. So I just have a couple questions for everyone, just to get the opinions.

You would rather have Tiquan Underwood and Chad Ochocinco on the Roster than Randy Moss?

You think (6,0) Mike Wallace or (6,0) Brandon Loyld is going to be the missing piece of the offense? Not to mention what the Pats would give up or the amount of money it would take to secure either of these guys.

So just state your opinion.

P.s. if this needs to be moved feel free, not really sure where this would go other than maybe Moss Unretired but this also has to do with super bowl.

Re: Randy Moss/ Superbowl/ YOUR Opinion

If Randy Moss could play like 2007 or even 2009 Randy Moss, every Patriots fan would welcome him back.

The more likely scenario is that Randy is over the hill and doesn't have the legs to be a legitimate deep threat anymore. Tie that with his 'attitude' issues, he is not as attractive as the other WR FAs.

I'll eat my words if he shows he can still play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes