PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Raiders Reporter lists Khalil Mack as potential trade candidate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m with you and would’ve kept Jones for at least his contract year. The Dolphins have shown you could break the rules and “Franchise Tag” a player you have no intention of signing long term and trade him for more than if you just let him walk. I used to think Jones disappeared late in the season, but I’m starting to lean more towards scheme that was holding him back. How does he go to a team with a losing record but lead the NFL in sacks?
I don’t know that the scheme was holding him back as much as the scheme asked more of him for the sake of team defense. There isn’t something broken in a scheme that lessens individual statistics for the betterment of overall team defense.

And he did disappear late in the season. The scheme didn’t change late in the season.

So he was not a scheme fit, was traded for the biggest pass rusher compensation in the last 5 years in the league and with the saved money we were able to get "a Gilmore" + another 3m in contracts + draft picks that played substantial roles on a SB winning team.

The problem is what again?
There’s no problem. As I said originally, I would’ve kept him until his contact is up then trade him.

I don’t know that the scheme was holding him back as much as the scheme asked more of him for the sake of team defense. There isn’t something broken in a scheme that lessens individual statistics for the betterment of overall team defense.

And he did disappear late in the season. The scheme didn’t change late in the season.
Then why did he disappear with the Pats? How does he play better after getting paid? The scheme he’s in clearly allows him to go after the QB more. There were times in N.E. he would just stand there or fake rush or even worse, go in coverage.

I just have a hard time believing he just packed it in after October.

Then why did he disappear with the Pats? How does he play better after getting paid? The scheme he’s in clearly allows him to go after the QB more. There were times in N.E. he would just stand there or fake rush or even worse, go in coverage.

It's all about what he was tasked w doing. Bill would mush rush against certain teams. Esp ones w QB'S that can move. He would occasionally play him inside. Like you said out him out in flat at times, which he does occasionally in Ari as well.
His stats would drop but that doesn't mean he wasn't a "good" player. Again it's in the context of what he was being asked to do.

Disappear (and yes I used it too) is an overstatement. He just didn’t make as many plays late in the season and in the post season. Could be a conditioning thing, could be playing in the cold, who knows.

The scheme in az has him totally focused on pass rushing. That doesn’t make him “better”. The game isn’t about individual stats.

In jones career, regular season he has 51.5 sacks in 61 games up through November and 12.5 in 26 games in December or January.

In NE 31.5 in 38 pre dec (.83 per game)
4.5 in 16 after nov

In az it’s 20 in 22 before (.91 per game)
8 in 10 after

In the postseason all in NE he had 2 sacks in 9 games.

I don’t think the system that had him put up equal sack numbers in sept, oct, nov suddenly failed him in December, January and February.

Perhaps it is weather, or perhaps he is just a guy who doesn’t turn it up a notch in big games.

There’s no problem. As I said originally, I would’ve kept him until his contact is up then trade him.

Which would have prevented us from doing everything I just said.

You will have to cut someone else or a combination of players in 2016 to create enough space for the typical operating expenses. CJ cost 7.8m.

You will not sign Gilmore a year later because you have a franchised pass rusher on your payroll that you dont intend to keep and need to dump first.

Tagging him reduces your leverage when negotiating a trade which potentially leaves you with maybe just a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Also what do you do if CJ's agents sniffs your plan out and tells him not to sign the paperwork? You will be sitting on that cap charge all summer limiting your flexibility.

Finally, since you are arguing despite hindsight that you would have kept him one more year I just gotta ask whatfor?

You are risking not winning the title as MM, Chris Long and Thuney played bigger and smaller roles in that and with CJ on the roster would most probably not be there. And you end up most certainly with less compensation.

If your plan is not to extend him but just to keep him one more year to tag and trade I honestly have to ask you what you think you gain out of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case