PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Raiders ready to give Mcdaniels full power? Reputable source?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I completely forgot about Mac teaching Obrein the Alabama offense.
That would be a interesting wrinkle if Obrein does come on as OC.

Not a buzz word phase I associate with football, generally.
I was using a generic term. How about a safe place to vent and smash **** up because he is a football player, or, a good cop coach to off set the bad cop OC? Ultimately it is not too different to developing young talent in a high pressure corporate environment.

Bring in Payton to be OC, after one season, BB retires, Payton takes over as HC.

it’s basically the Dread Pirate Roberts succession plan!

I was using a generic term. How about a safe place to vent and smash **** up because he is a football player, or, a good cop coach to off set the bad cop OC? Ultimately it is not too different to developing young talent in a high pressure corporate environment.
I don't think it's that necessary to have a safe space or a good cop / bad cop coaching dichotomy. It's paramount that Mac has someone who uses his skill set accordingly, has the knowledge needed to be successful in the NFL and the ability to teach Mac what needs to be done to be successful. I could care less how much of a hard azz Bill or any other coach is. Win.

Last edited:
Fantastic candidate who deserves to coach another team. Put up big numbers for many years. BB is highly complimentary of him. Would be big news if LV pried him away.

Wow …it almost seems like you mean what you are saying!! :)). Hey I’m with you I think Josh is a phenomenal choice for Las Vegas….warm up the moving truck!

OL
I agree that we have a top 10 OL, presuming re-signing of Karras and Brown. Even then, Herron as backup LT is a weakness.
I expect an extension for Mason to free up some cap money. Although folks here won't like it, an extension for Wynn will certainly be considered, freeing up cap space.

WR
I expect that we will draft a WR with one of top 4 draft picks. My gut feeling is that Agholor will be extended, freeing up cap space. Alternatively, Agholor could be cut and someone else brought in at a cap cost of $5M (we would then eat Agholor's dead money, and have no cap savings).

We will also bring in the usual suspects to compete for #4 WR and in case of injury. Hopefully, the draftee would take those reps.

I think we resign Karras and plug Onwenu in at RT. Herron is what he is...a reliable back up that can play LT in a pinch. Many teams don't even have that.... I'd love to have Brown back, but it depends on what kind of $$$ he wants....he was happier in Foxboro than Vegas...so not sure...$$$ is the driving factor though...

I need to look at our cap #'s....but we are paying Hightower a lot of money...D-Mac too....if those two walk...we get some $$$. I am not crazy about extending guys like Agholor and Wynn. I'd like to see more from both...

And we aren't getting a #1 WR in free agency...that much I am sure of...guys like OBJ will just be too expensive and other WR's all have their baggage too.... but I'd love to pick up a few guys to compete with our guys here and see what Tre Nixon gives us. I am not so sure we need an elite game breaking WR that can move all over the formation (hey, it would be nice...but those guys don't grow on trees)...I think at minimum we just need another deep threat that can take the top off the D along with Agholor. To me...it's about opening the middle of the field for Henry/Smith/Bourne/Meyers to do their damage....

Last edited:
Starting to warm up to the idea of JMD leaving. It might end up being good for Mac and this new generation of Pats offense. The short term might suffer a bit, but as long as they keep the same system and language, a new OC and playcaller may be able to bring more innovation and originality with the players we have now.
- I'm not a fan of BOB, I think he's an egomaniac with a temper. But, as far as experience and leadership - maybe it could work?
- I'd like to see Calley or Lombardi get a shot. Who knows how primed they are for the pressure, but in-house options are valuable for Mac.
- Maybe O'Shea comes back? Certainly a lot of experience, and seemingly a smart guy.

Bring in Payton to be OC, after one season, BB retires, Payton takes over as HC.
While I'd love to have Payton be the OC & coach-in-waiting, he has too many better options. Like making 10M+ as a commentator for a few years and then jumping bad in as head coach (in NE!!!!)

I find this possibility of McD leaving to LV very interesting.

1. I assume McD future as HC in NE was not assured, which is odd because we had heard Kraft got him to renege on the Colts job by promising him that role. Or is this an indication that Bill told him, I'm not going anywhere for at least 4 years, do what you've got to do.
2. It's been discussed that McD is making way more $$ than most OCs. So, this potential move may not be about $$. Is it possible McD believes he has a better chance to win at LV with Carr than in NE with Mac? That would be odd given Mahomes and Herbert are in that division.

Something is clearly wrong if a 3 time Super Bowl winning OC can’t land a HC gig. Aside from the Colts, he ended up “out of the running” for many jobs.

Something is clearly wrong if a 3 time Super Bowl winning OC can’t land a HC gig. Aside from the Colts, he ended up “out of the running” for many jobs.

Real question is, does he really want those jobs? With the number of bad coaches being hired every year, I guess Josh is/was not that interested in leaving. Didn't he say he did not want to uproot his family again?

I'm in favor of continuity with McDaniels on board for at least 2 more years.

People are hesitant on him precisely because of what he did to the Colts.

I find this possibility of McD leaving to LV very interesting.

1. I assume McD future as HC in NE was not assured, which is odd because we had heard Kraft got him to renege on the Colts job by promising him that role. Or is this an indication that Bill told him, I'm not going anywhere for at least 4 years, do what you've got to do.
2. It's been discussed that McD is making way more $$ than most OCs. So, this potential move may not be about $$. Is it possible McD believes he has a better chance to win at LV with Carr than in NE with Mac? That would be odd given Mahomes and Herbert are in that division.
I would say it could be that Bill has buddied up with Joe Judge, so between that and Bills kids Josh felt he wasn’t a sure thing for the job.
My thought is Kraft ponied up for Josh to make Brady happy.
The relationship with Bill and Tim was getting tense and Josh cooled things down.

I think one thing that's under-discussed about BOB is that he's not just an OC but a QB Coach. He got the best out of QBs at Penn State, then went to Houston and won his division his first two years with Brian Hoyer and Brock Osweiler as his starters. That's a damn feat if you ask me.

I think one thing that's under-discussed about BOB is that he's not just an OC but a QB Coach. He got the best out of QBs at Penn State, then went to Houston and won his division his first two years with Brian Hoyer and Brock Osweiler as his starters. That's a damn feat if you ask me.
He made Hackenberg look like a top QB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents