PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

R-E-L-A-X on the defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
No

But I don't believe the defense deserves any credit for any of the wins, and the bulk of the blame for the loss. I've seen you tout the record, but that isn't a product of their hard work or contributions. The team has 2 wins despite the defensive play so far.
Stating there record isn't touting.
The TEAM is 2-1.
You can't win it lose only in one side of the ball.
If the d doesn't stop 3td and 1 today we lose.
The d played very well Vs NO.

Teams win and lose games not offenses and defenses.
The offense lost once, as did the defense.

If you feel some value in deciding hypotheticals and "credit" or "blame" talk to the hand.

With the last CBA, September is basically training camp, we've had a few injuries and our talented secondary hasn't gelled yet.

We know that with the greatest defensive mind our defense will slowly improve.
Once he gets the locker room back yes.

So far this defense is right up there with the abomination of a defense fielded in 2011.

The difference is that the 2010 defense wasn't good, and BB brain-farted and release our top 2 safeties in the pre-season. Whereas as the 2016 was quite good. And realistic expectations were for the 2017 defense to be similar in quality.
well the 2011 team went 13-3 and one dropped pass from SB title.

I really don't think you can extrapolate much from this game. A slippery QB that seemed to have doused himself with oil and managed to get off a bunch of pretty lucky throws - it could just as easily have been 5 sacks as 5 long catches. So I'd call this a one-off that doesn't tell us that much about the defense going forward.

The defense mostly took Hopkins away - and that was their game plan. They also did miss Hightower today - he would have stopped some of those 5 yard first down runs.

The d didn't play stellar today but it seems like a lot of posters are commenting on the plays without seeing them. Maybe listening to radio or a game thread? Watson played a hell of a game and some of those "easy big completions" were thrown into super tiny windows after escaping 2 or 3 tackles. The catches some of the receivers for the Texans were making were great as well. D needs work yes but it's not like they are the worst unit in the league.

If the d doesn't stop 3td and 1 today we lose.

I dont remember the D stopping anything today. I do remember the rookie making some bad throws which resulted in a punt though.

Only the saints have a worse passing defense than us. Think about that. It's 3 games though. Let's see if it improves

I dont remember the D stopping anything today. I do remember the rookie making some bad throws which resulted in a punt though.
You should have watched the game, it was a good one.
The last time Houston had the ball the patriots stopped them on 3rd and 1. Belichick cited it as a key to the win.

I expect the D to improve a lot once hightower returns

If nothing matters but winning or losing, then there is no reason for analysis, speculation or the board itself.

Critical thinking about what?
There are 2 results to a game, win or lose. Nothing that haopymd in a game carries into the next game.
Standings are not based upon voting.

Can he cover? It will improve in the running game. Our pass defense has to start stepping up!

When your best LB comes back, your whole defense improves, even if he does his best as a run stopper.

Apparently, we're playing the pre-season and everyone else is playing the regular season.

Sure, we'll get better. In the end, that's all that matters, as long as byes and home field don't matter. We'll be in the playoffs. The offense will be great, and the defense will be much better.

If nothing matters but winning or losing, then there is no reason for analysis, speculation or the board itself.
The comment was about calling the game an "almost loss". There is no such thing.

The board doesn't need speculation to exist.

Whining about how awful a win was isnt analysis.

Apparently, we're playing the pre-season and everyone else is playing the regular season.

Sure, we'll get better. In the end, that's all that matters, as long as byes and home field don't matter. We'll be in the playoffs. The offense will be great, and the defense will be much better.
We are 2-1. Why would you think byes and hfa were sacrificed in a win?

Exactly. Rowe/J Jones haven’t exactly been terrible either. It would be expected that corners can just play. I heard someone recently say that in regards to a potential Butler trade. Corners can be traded mid season and kinda just fit right in.

Go cover him etc.

The Patriots clearly favor diversity in defensive schemes. The desire for play-call diversity makes the Patriots difficult to game plan against, and it allows the Patriots to consider multiple coverage options to choose a defense that is best suited to a situation. However, it also takes longer for the Patriots to get on the same page with each other and it can lead to coverage breakdowns.

The Patriots cannot simply plug in a new corner like a team like Seattle can; Seattle rarely varies their defensive play calls. It is cover-3 zone with occasional cover 2 man.

The other teams had the same restrictions in training camp.

Those other teams of athletic freaks in their front 7 that can create massive pressure in the passing game. They can afford to be predictable and win through athleticism and execution.

The Patriots have not had a "rebuilding year" since 2000. The Patriots don't get to have players like Watt and Clowney. Yet by the end of the year the Patriots defense is often one of the toughest in the league. Are people so quick to forget the past?

We are 2-1. Why would you think byes and hfa were sacrificed in a win?
I don't think that they were sacrificed. But there is no reason to discuss details of games, criticism of game plans and players and lots of other things if all that matters is whether we win or lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back