PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

How are the Pats 12-3 and on the verge of Home Field throughout ? Mind boggling defensive stats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scott99

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
Looking at defensive stats today, and I find it mind boggling this team is 12-3, and most likely winds up 13-3.

Pass defense:
29th in yards against, only 4 teams have given up more passing yards. Indy, Giants & Bucs. None of those teams have more than 4 wins.

38 sacks, 11 teams have more than the Pats. Giving up 62.8 completion percentage, only 12 teams are worse. Only one of those teams are in the playoff hunt (Atlanta).

Have given up 24 TD passes, tied for 21st.

Rush defense:
26th against the rush. Giving up 4.8 yards per carry, only the Chargers have given up more per carry (4.9).

Oddly enough, Pats have given up the 2nd least amount of rushing TDs in the whole league. They’ve given up 6. Shockingly Cleveland has only given up 5.

Now I know the injuries have played a HUGE part in these stats being mind bogglingly bad, but that’s where coaching comes in. If the Pats somehow achieve the ultimate goal, this has to be Belichick’s best coaching job ever. Always thought 2008 was his best, this would surpass it.

That the Pats are 12-3, and should wind up 13-3 is just amazing.

The Pats don't give up many points. At all. The team is tied for sixth in the NFL in least points allowed per game. And that includes Poyer's pick six for the Bills and Clowney's fumble recovery and romp for a TD.

The Pats don't give up many points.

tenor.gif

:)

The Pats don't give up many points. At all. The team is tied for sixth in the NFL in least points allowed per game. And that includes Poyer's pick six for the Bills and Clowney's fumble recovery and romp for a TD.
That’s the amazing thing, they are so tough between the 20s. Get in the red zone and they seem to give up only FGs.

Normal metrics need not apply. While there's room for improvement in the defense, we've seen the same story for the last decade and a half: force the other team to execute long drives, then tighten up in the red zone. Somehow, despite the fan hysteria, they always seem to end up in the top ten for points allowed and red zone defense. I'll take that as a great compliment to an explosive offense.

This is an unpopular opinion, BUT...

Patriots have had a very week schedule. They have 3 wins against playoff teams: Saints, Steelers, and Falcons. They've played a lot of very weak teams. People giving the defense kudos this weekend for stopping the Bills in the second half. Except has anyone looked to see how the Bills have played in the second half for the last few weeks?

Going backward: 3 points, 3 points, 0 points, 0 points, 3 points. That's 9 points in 5 second halfs. Less than a point per quarter.

Currently, the Patriots have 22 players on their active roster who were NOT with the team last season (41.5% turnover). Only two of them - Grigsby and Bademosi - are primarily special teamers (and Bademosi had two starts on defense at CB).

These include ...
... the #2 QB (last year's #2 & #3 are both gone)
... 3 of the 5 WRs
... 2 of the 3 TEs
... 2 of the 4 RBs

... 8 of 13 front-seven rotational players

That’s the amazing thing, they are so tough between the 20s. Get in the red zone and they seem to give up only FGs.
I think you mean they STINK between the 20s. Actually I'd say they are terrible for the the 90 yards between the opponents 0 to the Pats 10. And then somehow they prevent TDs.

It's infuriating and awesome.

Normal metrics need not apply. While there's room for improvement in the defense, we've seen the same story for the last decade and a half: force the other team to execute long drives, then tighten up in the red zone. Somehow, despite the fan hysteria, they always seem to end up in the top ten for points allowed and red zone defense. I'll take that as a great compliment to an explosive offense.

Pats always look awful on D in the 1st drive. The other team will wall them back into the rz ... and end up with 3.

Bill gives away yards.

Sometimes I really think he smiles inside when a team team gets lucky on 3-5 plays on a quick drive. Stalls in rz for 3.

More time for our Offense.

Actually it's 21 points from the offense if you count the bad snap-fumble-TD in the first Miami game....

its not amazing, it is directly correlated actually. Bend Dont break means no big plays. Sometimes it is frustrating to watch, but their intention ALL GAME is not to get beat behind over the top, which means teams roll between the 20s. It is a good trade and Belichick has done it his whole career.

PP
I think you mean they STINK between the 20s. Actually I'd say they are terrible for the the 90 yards between the opponents 0 to the Pats 10. And then somehow they prevent TDs.

It's infuriating and awesome.
PPG on D only stat that matters. Combined that with scoring a lot. The yards don't matter.

Pats defense allows a lot of plays, but few points. Anybody know points per play versus rest os league.

Those stats largely took a big time dump in the first few games of the season. The defense was an abomination in Weeks 1-4. They've been better in almost every measurable way since then. That said, there's still a LOT of room to improve before the postseason.

First four games: 32.0 points per game allowed
Last eleven games: 14.7 points per game allowed

In their last 3 games though: 19.0 points per game allowed. However, that includes two defensive touchdowns by the opposition, which, if we take those out, would mean they've allowed 14.3 points per game by the defense.

That said, they got very lucky not to have allowed more against Pittsburgh, and as well against Buffalo.

Nonetheless, they're playing very well these past 11 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News