PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question: Would you ever root for an AFC East rival if they were in the SB?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Would you ever root for an AFC East rival in the SB?

• Total voters
No never.. maybe the Bills...

I like how everyone (including myself) is saying "no to the Jets", as if the Jets would ever have a chance of reaching the Super Bowl.

I like how everyone (including myself) is saying "no to the Jets", as if the Jets would ever have a chance of reaching the Super Bowl.
They still have Todd Super Bowles

screen-shot-2015-01-14-at-8-37-47-am-e1421246336631.png

definitely depends on the circumstances.... I'd probably root for the Saints over any non-Pats afc team, but I might root for most afc teams over CAR, DEN, SEA or NYG.... of course if the AFC rep was Pitt or the NYJ all bets are off....

I'd root for the Bills against some NFC teams.

The Atlanta Falcons and their fans are rooting for the Eagles to get up 29-3..........

Yea, if they were going up against one of the teams in the all time ring race with us (cowboys,49ers, giants, packers) i would.

It will depend on my level of jealousy at the time. Lets say there is an NFC equivalent like the Patriots and they are going for like their 3rd conservative superbowl title fore example. In that case I will root even for the Jets(if they are able to make it there)

Probably the Bills. Even in the early 90's when Bills were afc badasses the Pats would still give them tough games from time to time. Even pull out one of their 3 wins once and a while. That was a good team and their fans have remained loyal even through 4 big losses.

Might have been Jville had they pulled it out but lost a lot of respect for the team and the fans so they can pound sand. I would of pulled for Philly.

NFC all the way vs Denver, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Indy and lastly the Jets> (Which will never happen in my lifetime.)

I do like New Orleans and Detroit so I would pull for them if they were in it.

It really depends. Back in the early 90s, I wasn't using the internet and I wasn't exposed to how horrible other fanbases can be. So I had no problem pulling for the Bills when they got there (I have family in Buffalo, they had an exciting offense, they faced the Cowboys twice, etc.) I even kind of liked them when they had Doug Flutie running the show toward the end of the 90s. Nowadays? I've heard enough of their fans' BS online that it would be a tough pill to swallow cheering them on in a Super Bowl. As for the other division rivals, I didn't really learn to hate the Dolphins until "Run, Ricky, Run" and the obnoxious hoard of Fins fans that I saw invading this forum all the way back in 2002. The Pats narrowly missed the playoffs but it was fun watching the Pats take the Dolphins down with us. And don't even get me started on the Jets.

Having said all that, there are other factors to consider. Are there any ex-Patriots playing for/coaching these teams that I'd like to see get a ring, even if it's with the enemy? Is one of the rivals facing an NFC team that I hate even more (currently the likeliest would be the Giants)? Is there a player on that NFC team that I can't stand? It's a tricky thing because right now virtually every team's fanbases hates ours, and I tend I return the sentiment, though I don't think Saints fans hate us that much.

The internet has kind of ruined me, because I've experienced all the hate from all the teams, and it's given me reason to loathe way more teams and their fans than I did in my pre-internet days. The Patriots' success (as well as Boston sports success as a whole) has drawn more of that contempt, from more people (look at Deadspin, their entire staff hates the Pats and that includes a guy who grew up in Massachusetts), and it's hard for me to overlook that. I can't bring myself to cheer on behalf of fans who call our team cheaters and who wish injury upon our players, and that's the majority of the NFL. When the Pats aren't in the SB, I just root for who I perceive to be the lesser of two evils (and usually the eviler team wins just to irritate me). :) I'd never say never when it comes to pulling for a division rival in the Super Bowl, but it'd take a lot to sway me. I consider myself very fortunate to have not had to face that dilemma for a long time. I root for the Patriots unconditionally, and root for the Saints if the Pats are out of it (or even the Niners with Garoppolo, I'm not concerned with the trophy count). Everyone else, it just really depends.

Last edited:
If it were the Jets vs Giants (I know, stop laughing, stay with me) I would root for an asteroid.

If the Pats are not involved I am generally "rooting" for the NFC team. Was pulling for the Niners against the Ravens. There are probably a few exceptions to this as I can't stand the Seahawks or the Packers. I did however root for Seattle against Denver/Manning as did 99% of Pats fans. I would root for the Bills but doubt I could ever root for Miami and the Jets are completely out of the question. Thankfully we won't be facing any of these hypothetical situations anytime soon!!!

The Seahawks will forever hold a special place in my heart for the absolute thrashing they put on the forehead. Saints too, plus they’re our Gatebros.

Besides the Patriots Super Bowls, watching Manning choke was the next best thing.

For most of my 57 years as an AFC fan I always pulled hard for the AFC over the NFC and was as happy as can be when the Jets and Chiefs won back to back SBs. That has since changed.

New Jersey - I stopped rooting for them when they interfered with Tuna Crap during our 96 SB run. It has only become worse since.
Miami - I stopped rooting for them when Don Shula became the original Asterjerk in 2007. His pettiness and lack of respect for the accomplishments of our team then was totally unacceptable and something Bill Belichick would never even think of doing.
Indy - The dislike started when Irsay left Baltimore and took the name and logo with him. It has since been enhanced by the NYFL's placing them in an all expansion division for PEDton and their part in Defamegate.
The Ravens - I think it started when Suggs was seen posing with a Brady poster and laughing at his injury in 2008. It was also enhanced by all of the crying and whining since.
Pitt - Even though they started as an NFC team I'm not sure if I hate them or pity them more. For a team with such a hard-ass reputation they cry an awful lot.

I'd pretty much pull for all the other AFC teams to win.

Speaking of the AFC winning. If the Pats are lucky enough to win this SB they'll even the all-time series at 26-26 and will have erased a 13 straight run for the NFC in the 80's and 90's.

Mind you, Eagles fans cheered back in the day when this happened...

View attachment 19423
Good for the Eagles fans; I cheered too.

The ONLY AFC East team for whom I would EVER...possibly...wish to win the SB
is Barfalo; the Doofins & JETE? No feckin way.

Edit: Never say Never, I suppose, if the Doofins or JETE were facing the Vagiants, the Cowboys, the Seahags, the 49ers, Scam Newton's team, and maybe the Cardinals if the Bidwells still don't recognize the Pottsville Maroons as the 1925 Champions.

Last edited:
Oh boy, I did kinda feel bad for those Bills teams in the early 90s, 4 straight SB losses, man that's painful. Would've been nice to see them win once. Miami, I did like Dan Marino back in the day and Curtis Martin when he was with the Jets. But honestly since the Brady/Belichick era, all of our divisional opponents have been near-insufferable. Miami is probably the most likely one I'd cheer for but even they have some players that I would struggle to cheer for. No way for the Jets, and almost next to no way for the Bills. Unless they played the Giants then I'd abstain from cheering for anyone lol.

Tall order.

I often visit their forums and message boards, and the only thing I see is pure hatred towards us. So it would take some really extraordinary circumstances to root for them, if they ever go back to SB.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back