PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question: Would you ever root for an AFC East rival if they were in the SB?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Would you ever root for an AFC East rival in the SB?

• Total voters
I rooted for the Bills against the Cowboys both times, and against the Redskins too. I just wanted to see my fellow Virginians suffer for throwing in my face how much the Pats sucked.

It would depend. I could see pulling for the Bills...maybe Miami...but the Jest? No ****ing way.

If the opponent was the Saints, especially Sean Payton/Drew Brees, then I'm 100% pulling for the Saints against any non-Pats AFC team.

Ian forgive me and do not ban me but I rooted for AFCE rival Bills in the 90s, so yes if the Williams made the SB I'd possibly root for them. Doubt I'd ever root for Miami and I know I'd never root for the Jetes.

I rooted for the Saints & Brees vs the Clots and if the Seahawks were in vs not the Pats I'd root for my man Russell Wilson.
I would find it easy to root for Detroit & Matty P vs not the Pats.
And...I'm hesitant to go there and face the wrath of Ivan, but I'd root for JAG and SF vs not the Pats.

"Root for" is a strong term. I usually have a preferred or favorite team in non-NE super bowls but don't particularly root for them. Usually situational, like I preferred the Seahawks and Panthers when playing the Broncos, but could see myself preferring the Bills if they we up against either.

I’d be OK with the Bills winning (still feel a bit sorry for them for losing 4straight) - but that’s it.

Miami - no chance.
The Jete - not in a million years.

It’s rare that I root for any team in the SB when we’re not in it, to be honest - apart from whoever is playing against Pittsburgh, Denver or Baltimore...

Bills... I could root for them.

Fins... I guess it depends on who they were up against, but I tend to think not. You know, Shula and everything.

Jets... well...

Mrs. Rover is a Long Guyland girl... used to root for the Jets... I converted her to Patriotism (LOL)... but she still roots for the Jets when they're not playing the Patriots.

Her whole family is full of long-suffering Jets fans, who have been wonderful to me despite my rabid Pats-fan-ism. LOL Out of compassion for Mrs. Rover and her family... and them ONLY...

I would have to root for the Jets.

So I say to you all, now... pre-emptively... if that day ever comes...

giphy.gif

Last edited:
I have 4 times, but only the Buffalo Bills. I rooted for them in every Super Bowl they lost. (I had, and still do, a lot of respect for Jim Kelly and Marv Levy)

I'd root for the Bills over many NFC teams - but not against the Saints, Lions or 49ers.

I'd root for the Dolphins over the Giants, Panthers, and Cowboys.

I'd root for the Jets against NO-ONE!

I think this is an interesting hypothetical discussion to have during another Pats SB bye week.

Michael Irvin, he of the Dallas Cowboys, has said that he is going to be rooting for the EAGLES in the Super Bowl. Not only that but he added the hashtag #FlyEaglesFly to his Tweet, which naturally caused all of Cowboy Nation to come through with the pitchforks and torches.

Mind you, Eagles fans cheered back in the day when this happened...

View attachment 19423

And he isn't the only one. I know a few Cowboys fans who I work with who absolutely hate the Pats (you know, CHEATRIOTZ.) and don't want them to win #6 since the Cowboys have 5 championships. I could certainly understand that logic. But to then root for the EAGLES?? Who as of this posting have 0 SBs? Which means bragging rights for Cowboys fans??

So, imagine for a moment if the Jets (HAHAHAHAHAHA) the Bills (ROFLLLLLLLLL) or the Dolphins (HEHHEHEHEH) were in the Super Bowl. I said imagine it!!!! ;)
Now, would you root for them in the SB? What would have to be the circumstance for you to do it if you did it?

If the Pats are not in it I would root for a good game, regardless who is in it. Sometimes I think it is good for a fan base to get "in on the fun" for the first time, but then they become annoying after the win and think they are going to become the next Pats

If the Pats are not involved I am generally "rooting" for the NFC team. Was pulling for the Niners against the Ravens. There are probably a few exceptions to this as I can't stand the Seahawks or the Packers. I did however root for Seattle against Denver/Manning as did 99% of Pats fans. I would root for the Bills but doubt I could ever root for Miami and the Jets are completely out of the question. Thankfully we won't be facing any of these hypothetical situations anytime soon!!!

It all has to do with the likability of the players on the team, the different story lines, etc.

I mean, if it was a Bills-Giants Super Bowl this year of course I would root for the Bills.

I wouldn’t root for the Jets. A Jets vs Giants Super bowl is my worst nightmare.

Right, and to make your nightmare worse, imagine if the Giants came into the game with an undefeated record. You would root for the Jets by default, right?

Only Buffalo....They are good fans and I do feel for their 4 straight SB losses. I cannot imagine that.

I have nothing but ill will towards the cheating Jets and the Dolphins aren't too far behind, the latter mainly because they have no fans down there. They're bandwagoners.

Years ago lots of people rooted for the Bills when they played Dallas in the Super Bowl (and got crushed both times), myself included. I did not, however, root for them when they played the Giants as my boyfriend (now my husband) was from Long Island and was a big Giants fan (in fact, loving Parcells was the reason we got Patriots season tickets when he came aboard). Not sure if I could root for the Jete or Miami if they made it that far, but the Bills somehow don't offend me as much. (And I managed to convert that Giants fan to a Pats fan!)

At least we know who wears the jersey in your house.. :D

As for Irvin... Patriot Fatigue and he admits it. Understandable.

It’s amazing though that this is such a thing. This is more like Patriot exhaustion! I don’t remember people getting tired of the Bulls, at least not like this. Maybe it’s that the league sold them parity and it hasn’t quite panned out that way...

People felt sorry for the Bills. Four SB losses in a row. Ouch. Even I felt................. no nevermind......Buhahahahaaha

Right, and to make your nightmare worse, imagine if the Giants came into the game with an undefeated record. You would root for the Jets by default, right?

Yeah if that was the case I'd be praying for a meteor/natural disaster that didn't hurt anyone but destroyed the stadium. Just ew upon ew.

I rooted for buffalo all 4 times they made it...

You know I did as well (because of the Cowboys) but after the Bills kept getting worse with each successive Super Bowl appearance I was pretty pissed off at and very sick of that Bills team. I certainly was not rooting for them to go to the Super Bowl each year in any of those seasons.

Hard to root for the Bills now. I did in the 90's when they played the Cowboys. Their fans are some of the worst folks in the league. Very hard to root for that team.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back