PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

QB of the future

The serious concern with Finley is the lack of arm strength and how that will affect him in the pro game.

Watching Herbert early against Stanford and I thought he was a beast! Then the Oregon center got got brain damage and really made it into a game.

Based on the tape, Herbert has to be considered the best draft eligible qb in the country.

Overall though, the kid from Georgia and the lefty from Alabama are franchise type qb’s if they land in the right system.

Ps: Making a move up the qb list is this Lawrence from Clemson.

The serious concern with Finley is the lack of arm strength and how that will affect him in the pro game.

Watching Herbert early against Stanford and I thought he was a beast! Then the Oregon center got got brain damage and really made it into a game.

Based on the tape, Herbert has to be considered the best draft eligible qb in the country.

Overall though, the kid from Georgia and the lefty from Alabama are franchise type qb’s if they land in the right system.

Ps: Making a move up the qb list is this Lawrence from Clemson.

Which Georgia QB? Fromm or Eason?

Just checking out Fromm right now, and he reminds me an awful lot of Jimmy Garroppolo, ironically. Unsure about that arm strength though.

Eason was a bit more prototypical as I recall, which is why I asked the question (thought you might've been referring to him, but he transferred).

Which Georgia QB? Fromm or Eason?

Just checking out Fromm right now, and he reminds me an awful lot of Jimmy Garroppolo, ironically. Unsure about that arm strength though.

Eason was a bit more prototypical as I recall, which is why I asked the question (thought you might've been referring to him, but he transferred).

Yes fromm is the real deal.

KJ Costello is looking pretty good this season.
Feleipe Franks looks horrific.

Costello might be on par with Finley in terms of intangibles and whatnot, but he's superior in terms of tools, making Costello perhaps the better prospect.

The main thing that bugs me about Costello is how much he hesitates before throwing. He always has to take like two crow hops before throwing anything. If they could drill this tick out of him and get him to throw immediately, he'd be a lot better off.

Lewerke hasn't looked that good either. His tape in 2017 was better (watch the Northwestern game as an example). His release is slower and his arm strength is weaker in 2018. That is to say nothing about decision making and accuracy, which have been up and down. I'm wondering if he has an upper body injury that is causing this. That, or he took bad advice from a coach.

Kyle Kempt has been injured, but he looked okay in his one game.

Nate Stanley looks like he's taken a small step up, going from 55% to 62% for his completion percentage. Stanley has excellent size, pretty good mobility, and a good arm. This is another 'riser' in my opinion. With the Iowa uniforms, it's kinda hard not to think you're watching Big Ben at certain moments (I mean that in a good way, but I'm pretty critical of Big Ben himself).

Easton Stick looks pro-ready but I have to wonder about his decisions sometimes, and he's too robotic in his movements. Sometimes you see great arm strength, and sometimes he floats it into coverage.

1. Stanley
2. Costello
3. Finley
4. Stick
5. Kempt
6. Mayes

Not sure where to rank Lewerke because I don't know what's up with him.

Last edited:
Caught Trent Dilfore analysis of young QB's on Dan Patrick the other day. When he saw a couple of 10th grade kids he knew they would play in the NFL (Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen). He stated there are high school qb's that are better then he was (ok, he was an NFL QB). One of the last things he said was that supply will exceed demand. I thought his take was interesting considering our situation.

Caught Trent Dilfore analysis of young QB's on Dan Patrick the other day. When he saw a couple of 10th grade kids he knew they would play in the NFL (Sam Darnold, Josh Rosen). He stated there are high school qb's that are better then he was (ok, he was an NFL QB). One of the last things he said was that supply will exceed demand. I thought his take was interesting considering our situation.

I agree with this at the NFL level. A lot of guys, who are barely top 10, could have been legends 10 years ago. A lot of guys, who are barely top 20, would've been real household names not so long ago either. The envelope has been pushed.

That being said, the old codgers still lead the pack. Guys like Brady, Brees, Rodgers, and Rivers (yes, still) are still a bit above the rest, no matter what the numbers say. You can't trust numbers anymore, really. Sure, Mahomes is playing great, but put another QB on that team... don't they play just as well? Look literally to last season, and Alex Smith was doing the same thing for spurts.

That being said, I hope Mahomes does become the next Rodgers.

Watching the games today and saw a little of Grier and it was pretty impressive. He still holds the ball too long and that will get him killed in the nfl. But the throws look good and the accuracy looks good. His arm will never be confused with the bills allen’s, but his decision making and accuracy are light years ahead of allen’s.

Based on what I saw today, my new qb rankings are:

Herbert (1st round very early off the board)
Grier (1st round top 20 off the board)
Finley (late first or early second off the board)

The best two qb’s in college are Lawrence of Clemson and Tua of Alabama, but neither are draft eligible,

Week 6 college qb ranking for the draft

1.) Herbert is still head and shoulders the best in this class. Which means he will be long gone by the time we pick.
2.) Grier is still the runner up. He threw a couple picks today. The overall accuracy is good not great. Nice day two pick who someone might over draft on day one.

3.) Findlay is still the third qb off my board. The powderpuff arm is still the only detriment to his game, although he had a couple picks as well today. Day two pick in my book.

Fast riser is Thorson of northwestern. They have no running game as most of their running backs are injured and he is carrying the whole load. Definitely someone who could be had in day two or three of the draft and sit and develop like jimmy g did. He and jimmy might have similar ceilings.

Nate Stanley wasn't perfect for Iowa today, but he looked great. Watch the highlights...

You can go back and forth over what his actual potential is. Is he mediocre or great or somewhere in between? Regardless, that's a starting quarterback in the NFL. That's what they look like.

Couldn't be happier for Stanley. Think I helped start that train & he's been up/down all year. Hopefully he stays on the right track.

Ideal size. Plenty of arm talent & strength. Isn't afraid of the moment but has to improve his pocket awareness/presence. Seems like he's a lil better there. Has been avoiding the rush when it's upfield/coming straight at him. Has to "feel" it faster. Works from UC, Gun, can move a lil bit.

Few guys on Iowa that might work here

Ty @BelichickFan I thought it was genius too

Last edited:
It's very possible Herbert stays at Oregon. He doesn't have a ton of experience as he was hurt some of last year. He'll have about 29 starts (if healthy all year). That's barely OK these days (still less than most like Trubisky and Maholmes and way less than Mayfield) but still not a lot.

X Factor - his TE, incoming Freshman, brother has committed to Oregon

Gut feeling says Herbert stays in Eugene.

Doubt he comes out, but he’s eligible. Ian book. Love this kid. Brian Kelly finally has a kid who can throw in his passing offense. He’s accurate. Makes reads and has quick feet/good footwork

It's very possible Herbert stays at Oregon. He doesn't have a ton of experience as he was hurt some of last year. He'll have about 29 starts (if healthy all year). That's barely OK these days (still less than most like Trubisky and Maholmes and way less than Mayfield) but still not a lot.

X Factor - his TE, incoming Freshman, brother has committed to Oregon

Gut feeling says Herbert stays in Eugene.

ThAts way more than trubisky. Didn’t trubisky only have 13.

To me Herbert has nothing to gain by staying at Oregon.

Doubt he comes out, but he’s eligible. Ian book. Love this kid. Brian Kelly finally has a kid who can throw in his passing offense. He’s accurate. Makes reads and has quick feet/good footwork

Good/bad news: he's 6'0".

Trubisky played in 31, it could be that only 13 were starts.

Ask the McCourtys what Herbert has to gain. For legit prospects I think QB gain from more college starts. Many other positions, especially RB, I think the opposite.

Herbert is dangerously similar to Josh Allen. Again today, he was 18-32 for 200 yards against one of the bigger opponents on their schedule. How can you claim to be a big time QB when you do nothing in big games?

Has nobody mentioned Dwayne Haskins yet? He's playing incredibly well. He's accurate, he doesn't make mistakes, he has the arm strength, and he has loads of mobility. He has a beautiful deep ball and a quick release. The only negative is the strength of schedule and the relative strength of the Ohio State team. Urban Meyer doesn't have the best track record with QBs, but I don't see anything overly simplified for him. He's making pro type throws in a spread offense, which is a slight limiter, but the NFL is going the way of the spread anyways.

He's now #1 on my list.

Last edited:

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back