PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Putting things in proper perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.
some of the least hideous unis since the abomination that is the Flying Elvis came out

Pats belong in red......with Pat Patriot on their helmets....

Not quite sure, maybe it's like authentic and replica? Aliexpress has them listed just as a Color (as a Canadian I want to spell it Colour, lol) Rush jersey.

Which did you get?

I grew up with the Queen's English. Love the blue colour, makes it look menacing. And with brady back under centre, he'll be playing lights out for his honour.

some of the least hideous unis since the abomination that is the Flying Elvis came out

NO THEY DONT!!! I am an original Boston Patriot fan from 1960, grew up with the old unis. They looked cool, but even as a 7-year-old fan, I knew that RED was the color of the enemy of the original Boston Patriots-the REDCOATS! The Continental Army wore BLUE! So it made NO historical sense for the Patriots to wear RED unis. Would be like the IRA wearing black and tan. A WRONG was RIGHTED when the Pats chnged to blue.

They were nice but, it's a tragedy they weren't the inverse (red unis with blue stripes).
The U.S. Ryder Cup team is wearing red, so I guess that means they represent the Russians, Redcoats, Romans...:rolleyes:

NO THEY DONT!!! I am an original Boston Patriot fan from 1960, grew up with the old unis. They looked cool, but even as a 7-year-old fan, I knew that RED was the color of the enemy of the original Boston Patriots-the REDCOATS! The Continental Army wore BLUE! So it made NO historical sense for the Patriots to wear RED unis. Would be like the IRA wearing black and tan. A WRONG was RIGHTED when the Pats chnged to blue.
...for the billionth time, Pat Patriot is dressed in historically accurate blue, and when Samuel Adams and Paul Revere dressed and had their portraits made in red, it didn't make them redcoats...

...and none of the other franchises in the AFL/NFL have jerseys our color red

s-l1600.jpg

Given the Patriots earned a convincing win over the talented and up and coming Houston Texans through exceptional coaching, which allowed a rookie 3rd string QB to flourish, and which showcased solid play in all three phases of the game, it understandable that we allow are selves to get distracted with those story lines.

But please, lets all acknowledge that those uniforms they wore the other night were f'ing hideous
Best of any of the color rush uniforms. Didn't bother me at all.

I was a youngster in '67, and afterward I thought it didn't make sense that the season was so celebrated when we lost the World Series. You can hear it in Tim McCarver's voice, he and his teammates never respected the Junior-Circuit Red Sox, and don't understand how Boston reveres them. Things were so dismal in the sixties on the field, and decrepit Fenway was like a crumbling ancient ruin...but a thousand fans greeting the team at the airport returning from a summer road trip? And down the stretch, every day and night, every radio in New England was tuned in see what would happen. It was Boston's baseball renaissance, and it does not matter that we lost. I get it.

When I was a little tyke, I was infuriated when told adamantly on the way to the London Zoo, that there would not be a push me-pull you there. Why would all the other animals in Dr. Dolittle be real except for one? It made absolutely no sense.
th

There are many crucial factors in sorting out the Patriots' uniform issue, but I will finish this post with:

Logic is the beginning of wisdom............-Spock, The Undiscovered Country

If you truly believe we'd be a universally loved and respected team right now if we still had Pat Patriot, or that Deflategate, Spygate and all the other crap that's happened is because of Flying Elvis, then you're simply gone.
That's silly about "universally" etc., but there's something similar to Kraft's deference to Orthwein, and then Goodell - "Sure, sounds good, great" - as opposed to, "That may not work". Invariably, teams remaking their logos and uniforms are using a bush league gimmick to try and drum up interest or establish a new identity. In the Patriots' case, that made sense only to ignorant out-of-towners who knew nothing of, let alone experiencing, thirty-three years of local football competition and history. They followed the media's song and dance focusing exclusively on negative aspects, including only losing records, along with exaggerated and made-up nonsense to support the fiction that the Patriots were downtrodden to an exponentially greater extent than any other franchise. The NYJFL was not created by the change in '93, but the team's world-wide following, from casual to intense fans, took a major hit. It was insulting to loyal fans and corroborated the notion that the team was not worthy of respect, and whatever history there was belonged in the trash. It did open the door wide open to fans who wanted a winning team and neither knew nor cared about the team's past or identity; I've said before it would have been totally appropriate for Orthwein/Kraft to simply rename the team. Kraft cannot have it both ways; you can't take a dump on your heritage and origins, and then try to celebrate and honor it at the same time. Had he taken the opportunity to restore us in '02 it would have been immensely easier than now. Orthwein, Parcells and finally Bledsoe were gone, and we were obviously on the verge of a historical run, to those paying attention. But today, all this great football has been played, wearing this. What, because we once had a home game in Birmingham, we have to forever look like we moved there?!

Red, white and blue were the team's primary colors, in arguably the most American of team names and logos. Blue was and remains a common color for several pro franchises. But no other team, in the pros or college, had this shade of red. Red is bright, unique and says good guys. Blue, in contrast, is common, dull and unspectacular. Otherwise, we'd call Old Glory the 'Blue, red & white'.

As I've pointed out a millions times, Pat Patriot IS dressed in historically accurate blue. And millions of Patriots fans the world over feel the same as we did when we booed the terrible proto-elvis out of the stadium. We simply don't feel we have any more control over a guy replacing our uni's with something stupid and ugly, than we did when John Y. Brown drove Red out of town.

Only the cabbie taking Red to the airport to his flight to meet Werblin in NY opened up his mouth and said, "Red, we love you, you belong here in Boston, this is your home, please don't leave." So, we got to see Larry Bird and Paul Pierce play their careers dressed like Celtics.

Obviously, nobody like that was around when Orthwein convinced Kraft that the media is all-knowing and that the Patriots have no fan base or history, and therefore Tom Brady's played his career dressed like Major Mudd.
You speak as if you are the voice of the fan, I have literally heard no Patriot fan complain about the uniforms like you do.

You speak as if you are the voice of the fan, I have literally heard no Patriot fan complain about the uniforms like you do.
The vast majority of those I've known over the years agree, but as in all sports, none of us feels we have any control over what teams do. It happens all the time (look at the Bruins-ugh). I suppose I might be just as nauseated if the Celtics ruined their regular uniforms, but the Patriots have always been special. The least we used to be able to do is at least watch and root for our team, and in '93 they took that away from us. No matter what happens on the field, they are dressed as the NFL Properties Proto-Flying Elvis Orthwein Marketing Team Spirits of St. Louis/Birmingham Americans of the Arena League/WFL, instead of the New England Patriots of the NFL:

The vast majority of those I've known over the years agree, but as in all sports, none of us feels we have any control over what teams do. It happens all the time (look at the Bruins-ugh). I suppose I might be just as nauseated if the Celtics ruined their regular uniforms, but the Patriots have always been special. The least we used to be able to do is at least watch and root for our team, and in '93 they took that away from us. No matter what happens on the field, they are dressed as the NFL Properties Proto-Flying Elvis Orthwein Marketing Team Spirits of St. Louis/Birmingham Americans of the Arena League/WFL, instead of the New England Patriots of the NFL:

I truly cannot understand why it matters so much. For goodness sakes, it's just a f**king uniform! You haven't been able to root for your team since 93? What the hell is wrong with you?

I truly cannot understand why it matters so much. For goodness sakes, it's just a f**king uniform! You haven't been able to root for your team since 93? What the hell is wrong with you?
Of course I (we) root hard, but it's embarrassing being in the company of the Denver Broncos, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (teams that just had to wreck their logos & uni's). So tacky and tasteless.

Full Disclosure!: I hated those bright red Santa Claus footie pajama bottom pants too.

Which did you get?

I grew up with the Queen's English. Love the blue colour, makes it look menacing. And with brady back under centre, he'll be playing lights out for his honour.

I got Edelman, as of my last check, they just had Brady, Gronk and Edelman.

Those reaching to justify F.E. want to refer to historical war by comparison. I agree, let's: This is professional football competition, full of history and rivalries and heroes and sacrifice by those on and off the field.
th
This is us, for 33 years yes, including the first one. Billy Sullivan took his young son Pat's advice and chose it in 1960, he simply didn't put him on our helmets until the following season. It's the best logo and uniform in the NFL and among the best in sports.

Robert Kraft saddled up his horse with James Orthwein, flying elvis, Roger Goodell and the NYJFL, and he's got the money, but owners come and go.

For all of us who saw the Super Bowl championship stolen from us on 12/18/76, and less than twenty months later saw one of our best young players needlessly paralyzed for life on the very same field at the very same venue, justice will not be served until we all see our team, with our real logo on our helmets, and in our real uniforms, celebrate a world championship, and a huge, red banner goes up the next Fall:
.__
th
__.
th

_____2 0 1 7_____

What the Dolphins wore last night...that was disgustingly fugly....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents