PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pro Football Focus individual grades for Patriots roster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good info. I still don't understand PFFs goofy grading system

I'm guessing they're pretty much like every grading system - focusing on where a player lines up without giving much weight to the player's role within the general scheme, much less on a game-to-game/play-to-play basis. That would get really complicated really fast.

I'm guessing they're pretty much like every grading system - focusing on where a player lines up without giving much weight to the player's role within the general scheme, much less on a game-to-game/play-to-play basis. That would get really complicated really fast.
God forbid PFF has a realistic and comprehensive analysis.....

The only way I can evaluate how a player is performing is my eyes, some stats and understand how the player is being used in the system and even then my assessment might be wrong.

He hasn't lost a step. He was clocked as being the fastest ballcarrier in the NFL, this season, on that pick six vs. the Bills.

Obviously not in terms of "long speed". In terms of quickness on CoD (where "a step" is much more critical), he may have.

However, it may only have been critical earlier in the season when DMAC ended up in certain less-than-optimal coverage situations (he's not, strictly-speaking, playing "safety"). As JMAC has improved and Jackson has come along, he seems to been much more consistently effective.

God forbid PFF has a realistic and comprehensive analysis.....

The only way I can evaluate how a player is performing is my eyes, some stats and understand how the player is being used in the system and even then my assessment might be wrong.

Yeah. Ya kinda need to understand the general scheme and how the moving parts all fit together first.

I don't use PFF much anymore, because I won't pay for the subscription. Back when more of their stuff was free, I kinda used a mix of their analysis, plus Football Outsiders' various metrics, plus raw stats (in context) to "leaven" my eyeball test.

Even then, it's sometimes difficult to fully comprehend the value an individual player is contributing based on what the camera shows, when the player is consistently doing some "little thing" so well that the play goes away from him. A WR who's still running really crisp routes and blocking like a banshee when the ball is going to the other side of the field. A DE or LB who's consistently shutting down one edge and not getting many tackles as a result of plays going to the backside.

Yeah. Ya kinda need to understand the general scheme and how the moving parts all fit together first.

I don't use PFF much anymore, because I won't pay for the subscription. Back when more of their stuff was free, I kinda used a mix of their analysis, plus Football Outsiders' various metrics, plus raw stats (in context) to "leaven" my eyeball test.

Even then, it's sometimes difficult to fully comprehend the value an individual player is contributing based on what the camera shows, when the player is consistently doing some "little thing" so well that the play goes away from him. A WR who's still running really crisp routes and blocking like a banshee when the ball is going to the other side of the field. A DE or LB who's consistently shutting down one edge and not getting many tackles as a result of plays going to the backside.

Exactly...and there are a lot of "little things" in a football game that we don't see.

personally i would UPGRADE

Sony Michel - high quality
Malcom Brown - above average
Duron Harmon - above average

Exactly...and there are a lot of "little things" in a football game that we don't see.

Even the best of us.

And then, of course, there are those who don't even know to look for them, and others who only look for the things that confirm their bias.

and i would DOWNGRADE
Guy Clayborn and Shelton

These seem directionally accurate based on my uninformed, biased opinions.

eh. I think he's lost a step. He's also whiffed on a few tackles. He's ok. I like him for his veteran presence and the fact we're unlikely to have a bad defensive formation or blown coverage with him in their, but that's his experience talking, not his physical presence to the extent it did in the past.

Do you mean to say that Dmac is not Ed Reed or Rodney anymore?

'high quality' ?
sorry but that's too much...

Jurrell Casey led all DTs in tackles 2018 with 62.

Guy had 59, tied for second with Suh, Donald and Dalvin Tomlinson.

Linval Joseph had 57. Daron Payne had 56. Hicks and Kenny Clark had 55. Brockers had 54. Jarrett had 52.

Well, at least they showed Shaq Mason a little love, naming him the best guard in the NFL

RG – SHAQ MASON, NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
Second Team: Zack Martin, Dallas Cowboys

Unfortunately for Martin, the two highest-graded guards in the NFL both play on the right side. Mason, though, is one of the most dominant road-grading run blockers in the league today. What took his game to the next level this year was allowing a career-low 16 pressures.

It's PFF, so who cares? PFF grades and analytics aren't to be taken seriously.

Not all.

None of the Pats players are performing at an elite level except for Gilmore IMO.

I really have no idea how they come up with these grades.

Develin for example. Are they saying he is a sucky blocker?

Harmon plays a lot of deep zone so he MIGHT be in the vicinity of a player that makes a catch. Does that count against him?

What did Danny Shelton do to be above average? Clayborn?

Perhaps the players are graded vs others across the league?

In a down NT year Shelton is not so bad.

Jurrell Casey led all DTs in tackles 2018 with 62.

Guy had 59, tied for second with Suh, Donald and Dalvin Tomlinson.

Linval Joseph had 57. Daron Payne had 56. Hicks and Kenny Clark had 55. Brockers had 54. Jarrett had 52.

Yeah I have been trying to make the point that Guy is having a damn good year (for who he is) for a while now. Only to hear that he is mostly a JAG from others.

Him and KVN are maybe the players who made the biggest jump year-to-year on defense.

Personally I also liked Adam Butler when he was used specifically as an interior penetrator. I don't know what his overall grade ended up by I would assume the few games where he had to be in against the run while Shelton was inactive must have tanked it. Either way for a UDFA to be able to contribute on the interior is a pretty nice story.

so “above average” is not as good as “good”?when i was in skool, dey were teh same :rolleyes:

Yeah I have been trying to make the point that Guy is having a damn good year (for who he is) for a while now. Only to hear that he is mostly a JAG from others.

Him and KVN are maybe the players who made the biggest jump year-to-year on defense.

Personally I also liked Adam Butler when he was used specifically as an interior penetrator. I don't know what his overall grade ended up by I would assume the few games where he had to be in against the run while Shelton was inactive must have tanked it. Either way for a UDFA to be able to contribute on the interior is a pretty nice story.

Shelton was out for weeks 13, 14, & 15.

Butler's snaps actually dropped off for the first two games of that trio. He was back up against PIT in week-15, when Wise's snaps dropped off.

Probably a lot more experimentation going on with defensive personnel groupings through those three games than we realize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents