PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pro Days 2017

DT from Albany State Grover Stewart.

I'm sensing a new binkie! I was so disappointed when Vita Vea didn't declare this year, but Stewart looks like he has similar size and athleticism. I vaguely remember hearing positive reports from the Collegiate Bowl, but those numbers are crazy. I'll have to go back and watch more of him.

I'm seeing 5.1 on other sites, though, for his 40. That makes more sense to me. Stewart impresses NFL scouts at Albany St. pro day

Weigh in results from the NFLPA Collegiate Bowl:

Grover Stewart DT Albany St. 6042 347 34 8 5/8 80 1/8

A couple of his games:

Looks pretty quick out there in the DB clips, but there's no way his playing weight was over 315, and probably closer to 300. His build looks like a leaner Jarron Jones. If hes weighing in the 330-340 range now, that is a strong offseason workout regime.

I am all in on a late round DT, so the more guys like this, the better.

Looks pretty quick out there in the DB clips, but there's no way his playing weight was over 315, and probably closer to 300. His build looks like a leaner Jarron Jones. If hes weighing in the 330-340 range now, that is a strong offseason workout regime.

I am all in on a late round DT, so the more guys like this, the better.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. He looked fairly trim in those videos. Too bad the competition isn't better; he just throws guys around because he's that much bigger and stronger. No technique at all.

He said in an interview during the season that he was 335, and he weighed in at the Collegiate game at 347, but then was back down to 334 at the pro day. So who knows. He did measure 6045, so he is closer to Branch than most tackles in the draft. All I want is a long-term Branch understudy. That guy is a monster, and he'll be hard to replace. Stewart's technique isn't very refined, but he has the frame, athleticism, and mindset (reportedly). Bring him in late and see what happens.

Yeah, I was wondering the same thing. He looked fairly trim in those videos. Too bad the competition isn't better; he just throws guys around because he's that much bigger and stronger. No technique at all.

He said in an interview during the season that he was 335, and he weighed in at the Collegiate game at 347, but then was back down to 334 at the pro day. So who knows. He did measure 6045, so he is closer to Branch than most tackles in the draft. All I want is a long-term Branch understudy. That guy is a monster, and he'll be hard to replace. Stewart's technique isn't very refined, but he has the frame, athleticism, and mindset (reportedly). Bring him in late and see what happens.

I am all for it. We need at least 4 big uglies on our roster, so having one developmental makes sense when our starters are set.

I'm also just nervous enough a out Valentine's back to make it a draftable priority. If VV went down, it would be all on branch's shoulders, which is a to ask at this stage.

Outstanding short shuttle for Biegel. That'll get BBs attention.

I really like him as a coverage type with the ability to also occasionally rush the passer. There's not a lot separating him from Watt, honestly, when I watch them side by side.

Looks better than Watt.
Knocks on my mocks.
Possibly another edge hit in the 4th round.

BB personally worked out Zach Cunningham today at the Vandy pro day.

Would be interesting to see him within our linebacker corps, possibly here at 32 if we get our picks?

Also the latest Mock Drafts have us getting a fair few picks so... we may end up with a lot more than we thought!

Would be interesting to see him within our linebacker corps, possibly here at 32 if we get our picks?

Also the latest Mock Drafts have us getting a fair few picks so... we may end up with a lot more than we thought!

I was getting quite comfortable with the picks as they were. Confused about the direction we might go at 32 now. EDGE, LB, CB? I have no clue.

Isnt Cunningham bad tackler?

Needs to do a better job of wrapping up. He reminds me of a cross between Jamie Collins and Alec Ogletree; explodes downhill like Collins has the range of Ogletree and Ogletree's length. I'd say he's a compliment piece to someone like Hightower. I'm not sure I'd base my defense around him.

Just saw this for Zach Cunningham. It's about as smooth as I've seen the bag drill run.

I mean, when we say he needs to do a better job of wrapping up, it's because of stuff like this play. If this were a rare occurrence, I wouldn't care, but I see it over and over again in his games. He stays super upright and just lunges and grabs, and hopes that he'll get the guy down. Drives me crazy. Just make a normal tackle!

Earlier from the same game, he has a CLEAR shot at an easy tackle, and just throws his shoulder instead of squaring his hips, wrapping up, and driving through the tackle. As I said, I wouldn't mind a few like this, but it's multiple instances in every single game.

It's not just against Kamara, who has good balance and shiftiness. He tries to arm tackle way too much.

Last edited:
I mean, when we say he needs to do a better job of wrapping up, it's because of stuff like this play. If this were a rare occurrence, I wouldn't care, but I see it over and over again in his games. He stays super upright and just lunges and grabs, and hopes that he'll get the guy down. Drives me crazy. Just make a normal tackle!

Earlier from the same game, he has a CLEAR shot at an easy tackle, and just throws his shoulder instead of squaring his hips, wrapping up, and driving through the tackle. As I said, I wouldn't mind a few like this, but it's multiple instances in every single game.

It's not just against Kamara, who has good balance and shiftiness. He tries to arm tackle way too much.

Just been watching him and I have to say, the positives outweigh the negatives for me. He takes on OL blockers for fun - very physical. He's about on a par with Collins in coverage, attacks the gaps in the run game and has sideline to sideline range. I would be very comfortable with him at 32, a perfect compliment to Hightower. He does need to go lower in the tackle though.

thnx reamer, just as i thought. Another decoy from BB

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back