PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre Game Thread - Pats @ Bills

Status
Not open for further replies.
why are we being negative here? We can't help it who we're playing against. We have no control over that. Let's take that negativity out of this thread please. This is a warning.
Thought I was being informative. Like you said, can't control who the opponents start. The game outcomes are what they are.

I have no interest in hoping the Bills rest their players. If we want to be a playoff team let’s beat the full Bills squad, not try to back door our way in.
Here here! If they can beat the Bills fair and square and go to the final minute with the Bengals, then they sort of look like they belong there. If Pats vs. starting Bills is an impossible feat, then a playoff berth doesn't mean much. IMO.

The unfortunate thing is that the Bills know how to beat the Patriots.

Throw short to RBs and slot guys.

The Bills more than anyone take advantage of Bentley and Tavai.

The Phins were moving the ball using that strategy.

Baltimore did the same thing to us. I don't know why so many NFL teams got away from killing us short but I've yet to see us defend a 5 yard pass.

Bentley and Tavai had horrible issues with the Phins yesterday. The Bills have run those plays 3x against us to great effect.
I don't think this is some secret BBs defenses have been this way basically the whole time few teams have the skill and patience to exploit this area. And when they do Bill usually just counters with what's needed. When they don't advantage D.

I don’t think that was trashing at all, but you’re the boss!!!!!!!!!!!
You missed the other 5 or 6 posts that he made, but they're gone now.

You missed the other 5 or 6 posts that he made, but they're gone now.
You’re a smart cookie. In a former life I was a seventh-grade English teacher. I spend half the year on there/they’re/their and it’s/its among other troublesome words. English is crazy. Like a gray squirrel on crack.

I don't think this is some secret BBs defenses have been this way basically the whole time few teams have the skill and patience to exploit this area. And when they do Bill usually just counters with what's needed. When they don't advantage D.
While I agree with this, Bill has always appreciated LBs who can cover. Roman Phifer, Jerod Mayo, Donte Hightower, they all had the speed to cover.

I'm sure Belichick would love some LBs like this.

I also think Tavai and Bentley were so badly off yesterday that it wasn't by design at all. It was just very bad play from the two of them.

Bentley, no; Tavai, yes.

Bentley is more than a plodding run stuffer. Tavai obviously has the coaches good graces, works hard, is physical, and follows instructions. But he’s limited. I don’t think he’ll ever be an every down player. That’s why I hold out hope for more Raekwon McMillan and bemoan the loss of McGrone.

This is the best I got (on the positive side of things)...

Beat Buffalo and secure the 7th seed at 9-8. I'm not interesting in any scenario of backing in and ending the season with an 8-10 record. I can stomach 9-9 with a week 18 win over Buffalo and a respectable showing in the wild card.

Here's how the Patriots can beat Buffalo:

1. Win a lopsided turnover battle. Buffalo has the 2nd most turnovers and the Patriots have the 2nd most takeaways so this is very doable.

2. Patriots are averaging 6.4 penalties per game, which 6th worst in the NFL, but they'll need to be nearly penalty free in this one. So disciplined football, especially no pre-snap or post-whistle penalties.

3. Run the ball and control the TOP. It's cliché and boring but absolutely necessary. Buffalo doubled the Patriots in rushing and TOP in the week 13 matchup... anything close to that happens again and the result will be the same. Get Stevenson (4.8 Y/A) and Harris (4.5 Y/A) going early and often.

4. Folk needs to be perfect on FGs and Marcus Jones needs to clear concussion protocol. MJ has been huge in the return game and we'll need a big game from him in this one to at least help with field position (taking one to the house would be nice too). MJ also burnt Buffalo for a TD on his first ever offensive snap in week 13 so we probably could use another spark there too.

It's completely odd to me how the NFL schedules these games w/o any regard to how they impact playing effort for other teams. The WC made sure to have teams play at the same time to avoid sandbagging games.

If you're going to have two games on Saturday, it shouldn't be the ones they picked. Jags should've gotten a full weeks rest given the Titans played on TNF. Jags, Pats, Phins, Steelers, Chiefs & Bengals should all play at the same time. You could still have the Chiefs play at 4:00 on Sunday and it wouldn't affect much given the odds of these games. And why aren't there any NFC games on Saturday? The whole thing is bizarre or money related.

Yeah the jags got shafted there. has to be some financial advantage here, theres no need for games on Saturday. Just like having 7 teams in the playoffs or 17 game seasons (even though we could benefit from this). The quality/ fairness is never the priority

Some Tyquan stats: I think he's going to be a mainstay for years to come here:

Very encouraging performance. I was starting to get a little impatient but this was a great game to build off of. I think he should have had 2 tds yesterday, was open for the last td but mac was a little behind him. Mac made up for it on the next play though. Lets hope he continues this next week

I think they should try something VERY different on offense this week. Completely unexpected would be for them to start throwing deep crossing routes and emphasize the vertical passing game.

Going to need the punter to actually punt the ball further than he has been. Another poor performance yesterday.
Going to need to get KB involved early and often. He had a great half versus the Raiders then didn't see the field too much yesterday. Mind numbing.
How about a statement game from Mac? No tantrums, no dirty hits, no missing open receivers and not taking sacks to push them out if FG range??

I don't think the Bills will be resting their starters.

I think they should try something VERY different on offense this week. Completely unexpected would be for them to start throwing deep crossing routes and emphasize the vertical passing game.
I don't disagree with you Sam, I just wonder with their O-line, if that's something that's possible. RT is a major weak link now and Brown has been disappointing at LT.....

why are we being negative here? We can't help it who we're playing against. We have no control over that. Let's take that negativity out of this thread please. This is a warning.

He's trolling...it's what he does best. Then he backs off and says "I was being informative!" He picks fights with people and then he acts like he did nothing wrong. His last sentence "I'm sensing a trend" says it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents