PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-Game Thread- Bills @ Pats (Thursday Night)

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many more weeks do we give in order to "work things out" in the Redzone and offense in general. At this point they are what they are. A team that can't score TD's and makes mental mistakes leading to penalties. Diggs and Allen alone will be enough to win this game on TNF. Tell me I'm wrong please.
You’re wrong! :)

Teams can evolve and get better; the past isn’t always prologue in football. So they can get better in the red zone and reduce the mental mistakes.

Allen and Diggs weren’t enough to beat the Jets a few weeks ago, so why should they be enough to beat the Pats?

Tre White's return changes all that.
A little. The rest of that secondary is banged up or been letting up 65+% of passes thrown their way. Elam and Johnson (former Edleman stopper) are letting up like 70%. Dane Jackson is at like 65% but teams routinely pick on him.
Why THE **** for? Because he DARED not praise your Dear Leader enough for your liking?

Calling-out the ****ing chuckle-head who CONTINUES to **** up drafts, and who by the way hired The Most ****ing Unqualified OC & QB Coach duo IN THE ENTIRE ****ING LEAGUE is now considered WrongSpeak in your world and is therefore Verboten?

FTFY.
You tell her. Hey @ashley1992 leave @captain stone alone and stop picking on the poor guy :)
One would think if there was a good opportunity and time to beat that team, this would be it. The question is are we ready?
Definitely. Their secondary is either wounded or picked on. Even if White comes back, we have a lot of options to go to. Rn it seems more than they have guys who can cover. Hopefully we see more Agholor in the slot and Parker is healthy bc he's been our most explosive playmaker at WR. Averaging like 20 per clip in a lot of the games he's played in.
Of course Meyers will be Meyers, our 3rd down savior. I'm guessing we're not seeing Bourne bc of his rr. I can't see it being anything else.

I suspect Judon and Wise will both have big days feasting on Brown. Who has real trouble in pass pro and just can't handle nuanced rushers. Particularly guys like Judon who's really good at switching up stride length on certain rushes but also someone who's really good at ruching inside. Obviously Wise has that quality as well. Tough power rusher that will fight you all day long. Uche too. Hopefully he's truly been unleashed once and for all. Quessenberry has real trouble in pp too. I could see Bill scheming up a lot of 5 on 5 looks to make them all have to protect with no real help from each other as he's known to do from time to time.

I think people *****ing about the play calling only watch the Pats. I've said this before bc if they watched other teams and more football they'd know how many teams deal with these issues. Bills fans, like ours, in certain situations. Have been frustrated with spacing issues on offense. Once that happens, it's easy to see how his INT # up. Knox #'s don't look terrible for your average TE but probably should be involved more with how athletic he is. Allen doesn't have a real safeties blanket after Diggs. Who's wonderfully, maybe the best in the league but Davis and Knox have been a little hit or miss. Knox only has two TD and two games over 50 yards I believe. Definitely missing Beasley a little bit .

Bills still have a ton of potential but have cooled off a lot lately on both sides. I'm definitely NOT underestimating them. Just think it's probably a little closer than some think.

Lots of people hated MacDaniel's when he was here.

Now, they want him back.
It's bizarre.
Offensive Coordinator has to be the most second guessed, hated, toughest coaching position on a team. McDaniels was always getting criticized, now Patricia I think is even more hated than him. I don't remember if BOB was as hated when he was here, probably so though.
O'Brien was only here for a short time and he wasn't given the title of OC until 2011, so he probably didn't take much heat aside from Super Bowl 46. But his claim to fame was getting in a yelling match with Tom on the sidelines over Tiquan Underwood. Weiss probably got some heat as well, but those people were probably in the minority. He was my favorite OC during BB's tenure. The hate for Patricia is warranted as he doesn't have experience. Bill's staff in the early 2000's was 2nd to none.
Brings back memories of Ernie Zampese smoking up a storm.
An then Pats fan NEM who waxed ballistic at every Charlie Weiss OC move in every post.|
Good times.
Zampese took a lot of heat, especially in 1999 after the MNF disaster against the DC who ended up being the Pats HC for 23 years. It didn't help that NE's running game was non existent which you have to have in order to survive in that era. OL was deteriorating, Coates was getting older and they had no promising young players on the offensive side of the ball.

Last edited:
Lots of people hated MacDaniel's when he was here.

Now, they want him back.
I'm definitely guilty. I thought McDaniels was too conservative. Now that I'm watching the Patricia train wreck I realized how good McDaniel was.

I like Bill O'Brien as a future OC too, the offense was really fun with Gronk and Hernandez when he was the OC so I have no doubt he'd be better than Matt.

Yeah, right now, the way the Bills are playing, they cannot look past anyone. I hope they do on Thursday. The Pats could use the win.
Big "look past" difference between the Lions and the Patriots.

Patriots are going to have to beat the Bills by playing their best football, not by counting on getting a subpar performance out of them.

I felt that way too when he was signed...but he has made plays at LB. I think he is valuable there against "some" teams / schemes.
He's an early down run support LB on a team that sucked in run defense last year that has improved this year...but he's not an all-pro so he must be summarily taken out behind the bleachers and shot.

I continue to be surprised by the fact that there is no understanding of roles in NFL football. Out of the 30+ odd players that get consistent snaps in a given game how many of EVERY franchise in the league are legitimate five tool, every down players? 20% 10%? Less?

This isn't saying that every team doesn't NEED those 10% to win - they absolutely critically do, but they need the role players just as much to fill other niches even the superstars may not. The Patriots last year couldn't stop the run...at all...few, if any, superstar QBs or WRs alone are going to be able to overcome that because the opposing team in that situation keeps them on the sidelines.

If the Patriots ask Tavai to consistently and constantly cover in space or in man...this will be a bad signing. If they ask him to run fill, deliver hard hits, and occasionally rush the passer, it's not crazy money for that niche.

Last edited:
How many more weeks do we give in order to "work things out" in the Redzone and offense in general. At this point they are what they are. A team that can't score TD's and makes mental mistakes leading to penalties. Diggs and Allen alone will be enough to win this game on TNF. Tell me I'm wrong please.
November is just an extension of the preseason.

Run no-huddle on 75% of the drives.

You completely missed the point of that post. That was genuine friendly advice. No one wants to actually see that button used on you.

I think your outside of the box content is valuable around here. For instance, your stuff on Tavai is thought provoking. It made me dig deeper into his film and really scrutinize his play to see if he is really as bad as you say he is. After thorough analysis, I have deemed that he is an absolute stud, one of the best LBs in Patriots history, and a top 5 player at his position in the entire league in 2022. But I never would have discovered those facts had you not pushed me to do so with your original content.

Just don't take it too far.

Sounds like he could be the next Lawrence Taylor?

Our coaches are mostly leaving to become head coaches or go with the ones becoming new head coaches. I don't think it has anything to do with pay.

Outside of Mayo, which teams would be interested in any of the coaches on this staff?

Outside of Mayo, which teams would be interested in any of the coaches on this staff?
Not for HC, but McD wants Caley, the Tight Ends coach. It’s why he didn’t get a shot at OC, supposedly.

I'm definitely guilty. I thought McDaniels was too conservative. Now that I'm watching the Patricia train wreck I realized how good McDaniel was.

I like Bill O'Brien as a future OC too, the offense was really fun with Gronk and Hernandez when he was the OC so I have no doubt he'd be better than Matt.
The Gronk and Hernandez 2 tight end offense was, when they had a little experience in the league and were healthy, my favorite offense, except possibly the 2007 offense. When they were both on the field and the defense played straight up, the passing game could not be beat. When the D rolled out extra defensive backs, the running game could not be stopped.

It seems to be clear that BB prefers to promote from within, or at least coaches who had previous experience with the Pats. The times that they have brought in coaching stars from other organizations things did not go well. In the old days there was a deep bench of coaches who were experienced and proven. In my opinion the number of coaches who have left over the past few years has drained the pipeline to the point where BB felt he needed to try to fit a couple of round (one very round) pegs into square holes on the staff.

Plan A for Mac & the offense this season was I'm sure to retain McD... But when he left for LV and took what seemed like half the offensive staff with him, then Plan B was reportedly to bring back BOB... When that failed - for whatever strange reason - Plan C should never, Ever, EVAH have been to re-hire PM & JJ in their current instead of former roles... More like Plan X, or Z...

I don't know what happened between them in Miami, but old friend Chad O'Shea was Flo's OC his first year there; he's the Brownies' WRs coach now, and I would've very strongly considered offering him the OC job here after McD & BOB were no longer in the picture, if for no other reason than to provide some small measure of familiarity...

If not O'Shea, then someone from outside the organization should've been brought aboard until the younger coaches gained more experience... What we have now is a Worst Case scenario, similar to what happened to our QBs vs da Bears, which I suppose should not have come as much of a surprise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back