PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-Game Thread- Bills @ Pats (Thursday Night)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Byron Leftwich should be available soon.

His play-calling during the OT period was a ****ing Disgrace... Almost totally bereft of runs, even during shorter-yardage situations... Sickening.

Not for HC, but McD wants Caley, the Tight Ends coach. It’s why he didn’t get a shot at OC, supposedly.

Couldn't Caley have still been made OC here, regardless of McD's desire to include him on his Vegas staff?

Couldn't Caley have still been made OC here, regardless of McD's desire to include him on his Vegas staff?
Yes, but the report said Caley only has a year left on his contract and refused to extend it unless his role on the staff was made clear (I take that as named OC). The report also said that Bill was afraid that even if he named Caley OC, he’d still lose him in a year.

Personally, I think that’d be a better situation than we have now, but shows how Bill is apprehensive of any more brain drain on his coaching staff.

Yes, but the report said Caley only has a year left on his contract and refused to extend it unless his role on the staff was made clear (I take that as named OC). The report also said that Bill was afraid that even if he named Caley OC, he’d still lose him in a year.

Personally, I think that’d be a better situation than we have now, but shows how Bill is apprehensive of any more brain drain on his coaching staff.
So his plan is to hire people not suited for the job in the hopes that people won't hire a another more qualified guy away?

move-lets-see.gif

With Wynn/Lose being out again OT Yodny Cajuste is getting valuable game experience. He's a guy I would probably try to lock up on the cheap if I was HC/GM BB.

Last edited:
With Wynn/Lose being out again OT Yodny Cajuste is getting valuable game experience. He's a guy I would probably try o lock up on the cheap if I was HC/GM BB.
Yeah, I think he could potentially be a good "swing tackle". We're obviously going to have to focus on the OT position during the offseason, but signing him for the cheap would be a good start.

That is the projected rumor which fits the talking point of some posters.
What Bill did is put someone there who he trusted and who has an intimate knowledge of how offenses attack defenses and how defenses attack offenses. He did not trust Caley to take over.

I totally understand Bill's thinking. However, Patricia is showing deficiencies in his ability to take advantage of space on the field and to design plays where his QB has obvious second options which he can get to quickly.

There's no way Bill could've known ahead of time that Patricia would either not be up to the task or else need a much longer learning curve. (Here comes the argument that assistants shouldn't flip sides when that has happened often with success in the past. Even when talking of the OL, Scarnecchia was a defensive coach who jumped to OL in his 50s).

Again, Patricia presided over #1 defenses in New England. He was really good here and obviously has a fine football mind, was always well liked as an assistant by players. But his transition to offense has not gone well.

What Bill did is put someone there who he trusted and who has an intimate knowledge of how offenses attack defenses and how defenses attack offenses. He did not trust Caley to take over.

I totally understand Bill's thinking. However, Patricia is showing deficiencies in his ability to take advantage of space on the field and to design plays where his QB has obvious second options which he can get to quickly.

There's no way Bill could've known ahead of time that Patricia would either not be up to the task or else need a much longer learning curve. (Here comes the argument that assistants shouldn't flip sides when that has happened often with success in the past. Even when talking of the OL, Scarnecchia was a defensive coach who jumped to OL in his 50s).

Again, Patricia presided over #1 defenses in New England. He was really good here and obviously has a fine football mind, was always well liked as an assistant by players. But his transition to offense has not gone well.
Fat Matt gets too conservative in the RZ we don't take TD shots when we get there. Settling for three might work against inferior Teams but it wont work against our upcoming opponents. We will not win against the Bills - Cardinals and Raiders kicking FG's.

Cajuste is just c-awful.

We need 2 OTs drafted next year, one who can immediately step up as a RT and one who can backup the LT.
Yeah I have seem some terrible plays from Yodny Cajuste but I have seen some good ones too of him mirroring Defenders I think he can improve some.

Cajuste is just c-awful.

We need 2 OTs drafted next year, one who can immediately step up as a RT and one who can backup the LT.
Yeah I wouldn't mind us double dipping at Offensive Tackle next year that's after making LB a priority.

Fat Matt gets too conservative in the RZ we don't take TD shots when we get there. Settling for three might work against inferior Teams but it wont work against our upcoming opponents. We will not win against the Bills - Cardinals and Raiders kicking FG's.
I see the exact opposite. We try for homerun plays like end arounds and reverses, zone runs and tosses, when we should be pushing the ball down the field. The constant holding calls which put us at 3rd and 15 don't help either (and I doubt 1/2 of those holding calls are legit anyway). Our red zone troubles are more the product of penalties and low % plays than anything else. Make short passes, break a tackle, run the ball and gain yards, break tackles, get closer to the end zone: that's how you score TDs. End arounds, reverses, long passes on 3rd and 15, that ain't going to cut it.

I see the exact opposite. We try for homerun plays like end arounds and reverses, zone runs and tosses, when we should be pushing the ball down the field. The constant holding calls which put us at 3rd and 15 don't help either (and I doubt 1/2 of those holding calls are legit anyway). Our red zone troubles are more the product of penalties and low % plays than anything else. Make short passes, break a tackle, run the ball and gain yards, break tackles, get closer to the end zone: that's how you score TDs. End arounds, reverses, long passes on 3rd and 15, that ain't going to cut it.
I totally agree with that with emphasis on the low% plays everybody in the stadium know what's coming. Our TE's especially H Henry should be more effective in the RZ I mean that's the reason we are paying Jonnu Smith all that $$$$$$. :rolleyes: I see no back shoulder throws' to Parker who has the ability to bring those in. I hope they figure it out it won't get any easier from here on out we are playing Teams vying for their Division and Playoffs ie...Buffalo -Cincy and Miami. All Three Teams can take us on any given Sunday.

There is still plenty of time left I just think Fat Matt needs to be a little more creative. You have a guy like T Thornton on the field we should be doing more with him. Another thing Mac runs decently why don't we use him on more RPO's close to the RZ? I think it would add a new dimension that's what makes Allen so great.

There is still plenty of time left I just think Fat Matt needs to be a little more creative. You have a guy like T Thornton on the field we should be doing more with him. Another thing Mac runs decently why don't we use him on more RPO's close to the RZ? I think it would add a new dimension that's what makes Allen so great.
There are not enough plays to take advantage of the defense stacking the box, especially in the RZ. For someone who is supposed to understand things from the defensive perspective, MP has not figured out that running up the middle against a 9 man front is fruitless.

TE screen pass to Jonnu Smith on the first Patriots snap of the game.

Play more Raekwon and less Jahlani.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick