PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-Free Agency 2023

If we have the space for at least one first day FA, it would be the DT from DC, DRon Payne. Next to Barmore and with Godcheax and guy there for run stopping, you'd have the makings of a VERY dangerous pass rush with Judon Wise and Uche coming from the outside. Perhaps one of the best in the league.

If I could get him and resign JJones, Peppers, McMillan, Cardona, Harris, and McDermott and maybe Wilson. I think our choice is going to keep Meyers or Jones. I don't see keep both and if I had to choose I'd keep Jones.

THEN in the draft I'd go CB, WR, OT with my first 3 picks and go from there. At 14 you will likely get a top 3 CB prospect with a good combination of speed and size. Then with Mills and Jack Jones you'd have 3 guys you'd be happy to have in boundary coverage and have JJones concentrating in the slot and be solid depth on the outside. Assuming DMac is retiring, I'd move Phillips to the FS (or Mills might be a choice) hand have Bledsoe, Dugger, and Peppers playing the inside roles

At 46, in the mocks I've seen you will still likely have a choice of a very good OT prospect or a very good WR prospect. There were also a number of solid TE prospects at 46 as well.

We have a lot of picks this year 5 in the first 4 rounds IIRC and 5 in the last 3. (I've see both 10 and 11 used as the number of pick we have) At any rate we will be well set up to do some serious dumpster diving in this year's draft.

A fine plan. I also would choose to re-sign J Jones, Peppers, McMillan, Cardona, Harris, McDermott and maybe Wilson. (I would add Ekuale the list, but that is minor.
================
THE QUESTION IS WHAT TO DO WITH WHATVER IS LEFT.
================
We would be short a starting WR, a starting OT and some backups and 2nd tier contributors.
================
I think that we need much more than a prospect at OT and an OK WR from wherever. You choose Payne. I suspect that Payne money would be enough for a top WR ort OT plus a 2nd tier of the other. Both would probably be by trade.

If we have the space for at least one first day FA, it would be the DT from DC, DRon Payne. Next to Barmore and with Godcheax and guy there for run stopping, you'd have the makings of a VERY dangerous pass rush with Judon Wise and Uche coming from the outside. Perhaps one of the best in the league.

If I could get him and resign JJones, Peppers, McMillan, Cardona, Harris, and McDermott and maybe Wilson. I think our choice is going to keep Meyers or Jones. I don't see keep both and if I had to choose I'd keep Jones.

THEN in the draft I'd go CB, WR, OT with my first 3 picks and go from there. At 14 you will likely get a top 3 CB prospect with a good combination of speed and size. Then with Mills and Jack Jones you'd have 3 guys you'd be happy to have in boundary coverage and have JJones concentrating in the slot and be solid depth on the outside. Assuming DMac is retiring, I'd move Phillips to the FS (or Mills might be a choice) hand have Bledsoe, Dugger, and Peppers playing the inside roles

At 46, in the mocks I've seen you will still likely have a choice of a very good OT prospect or a very good WR prospect. There were also a number of solid TE prospects at 46 as well.

A fine plan. I also would choose to re-sign J Jones, Peppers, McMillan, Cardona, Harris, McDermott and maybe Wilson. (I would add Ekuale the list, but that is minor.
================
THE QUESTION IS WHAT TO DO WITH WHATVER IS LEFT.
================
We would be short a starting WR, a starting OT and some backups and 2nd tier contributors.
================
I think that we need much more than a prospect at OT and an OK WR from wherever. You choose Payne. I suspect that Payne money would be enough for a top WR ort OT plus a 2nd tier of the other. Both would probably be by trade.

I have been screaming to sign Payne. I also want Edmunds added with Payne versus resigning Jon Jones + Myers. Lastly Trent Brown is $12M, so release him and for $5M more we can have McGlinchey.

That leaves us short #1CB, LT and #1WR. Round #1 at 14 solves CB, Round #2 at 46 solves LT. Why CB and LT instead of WR? Because the Pats are great at drafting CB (except Round 2) and LT. After that in Round 3 and 4 take WR, OT, WR and 3rd Down Back. I think that would build a great team. Free Safety has to be addressed, so maybe FS in Round 4, and 3rd Down Back later.

I also agree on resigning the lower level players you mentioned. Payne is a DT so not that expensive, Edmunds is good but not great so he does not break the bank (and makes Tavai a backup). In 2024 if we release Jonnu, we have $169M in cap space so no reason to be cheap in 2023. Lots of important guys to resign in 2024, but the Pats can decide what direction to go in with so much cap space in 2024.

Last edited:

We have a lot of picks this year 5 in the first 4 rounds IIRC and 5 in the last 3. (I've see both 10 and 11 used as the number of pick we have) At any rate we will be well set up to do some serious dumpster diving in this year's draft.
I'd add.. along with those options if we traded for ,signed somehow attained a lock down corner that would solidify the secondary.. allow us to be more multiple with our fronts..

On offense the sense I'm getting is we'll be sniffing around the Allen lizard types at WR..

I'd add.. along with those options if we traded for ,signed somehow attained a lock down corner that would solidify the secondary.. allow us to be more multiple with our fronts..

On offense the sense I'm getting is we'll be sniffing around the Allen lizard types at WR..

Lazard (the non-reptile, haha) would be a waste of cap space, in my opinion. Doesn’t represent an upgrade over what they already have.

Lazard (the non-reptile, haha) would be a waste of cap space, in my opinion. Doesn’t represent an upgrade over what they already have.
Haha, typo yes Lazard.. well if we brought him in, and still attained a Game breaker, along with the pieces we already have...

We have something on offense teams are going to have to deal with... just having a good OC alone can make all the difference.. instead of being predictable, we will be able to dictate what we want to do to opposing defenses..

Jonnu combine results seem closer to Kelce . Can we move Jonnu more to slot and have him do more as a receiving option rather than using him as a blocker foremost.

Roll out the dice for final time on Jonnu. Technically this is his last year on a big contract and he would be more eager to break the shackles and show some production.

Either Witherspoon or Broderick would be great if we are able to snag at 14.

Else better to trade down to 30s , get an additional mid round pick and draft Darnell wright, Ringo and Darnell Washington and possibly downs for the slot WR.

I have been screaming to sign Payne. I also want Edmunds added with Payne versus resigning Jon Jones + Myers. Lastly Trent Brown is $12M, so release him and for $5M more we can have McGlinchey.

That leaves us short #1CB, LT and #1WR. Round #1 at 14 solves CB, Round #2 at 46 solves LT. Why CB and LT instead of WR? Because the Pats are great at drafting CB (except Round 2) and LT. After that in Round 3 and 4 take WR, OT, WR and 3rd Down Back. I think that would build a great team. Free Safety has to be addressed, so maybe FS in Round 4, and 3rd Down Back later.

I also agree on resigning the lower level players you mentioned. Payne is a DT so not that expensive, Edmunds is good but not great so he does not break the bank (and makes Tavai a backup). In 2024 if we release Jonnu, we have $169M in cap space so no reason to be cheap in 2023. Lots of important guys to resign in 2024, but the Pats can decide what direction to go in with so much cap space in 2024.
Wow a 169 million in 24!

Jonnu combine results seem closer to Kelce . Can we move Jonnu more to slot and have him do more as a receiving option rather than using him as a blocker foremost.

Roll out the dice for final time on Jonnu. Technically this is his last year on a big contract and he would be more eager to break the shackles and show some production.

Either Witherspoon or Broderick would be great if we are able to snag at 14.

Else better to trade down to 30s , get an additional mid round pick and draft Darnell wright, Ringo and Darnell Washington and possibly downs for the slot WR.
Cousins,
Had a hearty Sunday breakfast of Finnish Pancake, which is made in a deep pan with a soft crust and custard pie type consistency filling. It is delicious. I added raspberry infused maple syrup. Then I complimented that with pan fried fresh smoke ham slices rolled and lightly browned. For an add, I had a couple of mini apple strudel bites. Completed the meal with a hot cup of vanilla flavored coffee.

The Smith move to Slot is noted. He played 148 snaps for the Titans in the slot his most successful year. We tried to make him an on line blocker. Think of Jeremey Shockey or Jimmy Graham far as talent applications go. Big slot receivers who could get in the way but not block. Playing Smith on the line was not a good idea.

Someone said the other day that our problem was we do not have "blue chip" players. This is true. The two Team playing today have those. Name ours?......Nyet!

This is very important. We have not one player an opposing Team has to account for. We had been blessed with many in the past. Brady, Moss, Gronk, Welker, even JE and more, or on the defense guys like Richard Seymour, Ty Law, Revis and others. The opposition today can play it straight with us.

Is it against our religion to get a high profile guy or two? I will give you five moves that I think will increase the Patriots wins by 20% in 2023 (should be playoffs), We have to investigate Teams with CAP issues and be willing to trade our 11 picks Draft class.

Let's start with the one guy who can keep the DC coordinator to stay a little late prior to meeting the Pats, I propose a two-fer with the Saints. My first got to have I mentioned a few times is Alvin Kamara.....for slot WR! Let's call him #1a. He's only 27 but the Saints have used him up a bit. He can still have a few plays at RB to take the pressure of of Strevenson but he is by far the best receiving RB in the NFL. A 'blue chip " guy. Now give him some room in the slot and his make you miss after the catch can be devastating. His versatility could help in the WR and the RB rooms. The next player would be 28 year old RT Ryan Ramczyk. At $9mm for Kamara and $14mm for Ramczyk we can afford it. The Saints are last in the League at a negative $60mm. Now the Saints can use two players to trade prior to the June 1 salary CAP designation trade date and still benefit. Why would the Saints do this? They considered trading Kamara at the 2022 Trade deadline last year because he still has value. It is almost half of the negative $60mm CAP and allows them a few moves to get a QB in Carr. They have CAP issues and need a QB. We get two young players who are plug and play.

For #1b there is no doubt Hopkins from the Cards is a WR who can make a difference here. He is the same age that Moss was when he arrived. If he stays healthy he is a top ten WR in the NFL and definitely your #1 WR. "BLUE CHIP" guy. My back up plan is Hopkins does not get here is Paris Campbell whom is overlooked, He's bigger and has 4.31 speed (we need that) He has been hurt but now healthy and had a superb last half on 2022. He was better than McLaurin at Ohio State.

Now for my third "blue chip" guy, can we still afford CB Jalen Ramsey? $17mm is tough but it goes toe $14 in 2024. He's young. He's feared. He's playing in the wrong Defense with the Rams who are in major CAP hell as well.

Still need a cover LB because we have none. Drue Tranquill. Former Safety he had 148 tackles and 5 sacks for the Bolts. He should be reasonable.

Resign Peppers and Cardona helps the cause. McDermot was a worth while swing Tackle pick ip. At $16mm I'd say thank you to Meyers for his service but no. Jonathan Jones would be my main keeper.

Then you grab Donovan Smith is the cash strapped Bucs can't keep him for your LT and you can release Trent Brown.

So three major trades for the "Blue Chippers", We sprinkle in a couple of these other kids and you are pretty solid on paper.(note: on paper)
If we got those three "Blue Chippers" I trust we gain 20% in wins in 2023.

Would Kamara, Hopkins and Ramsey bring us to the next level? The first two BOB will love. Can we get Smith to produce?

Thoughts and threats?
DW Toys

Last edited:
Cousins,
Had a hearty Sunday breakfast of Finnish Pancake, which is made in a deep pan with a soft crust and custard pie type consistency filling. It is delicious. I added raspberry infused maple syrup. Then I complimented that with pan fried fresh smoke ham slices rolled and lightly browned. For an add, I had a couple of mini apple strudel bites. Completed the meal with a hot cup of vanilla flavored coffee.

The Smith move to Slot is noted. He played 148 snaps for the Titans in the slot his most successful year. We tried to make him an on line blocker. Think of Jeremey Shockey or Jimmy Graham far as talent applications go. Big slot receivers who could get in the way but not block. Playing Smith on the line was not a good idea.

Someone said the other day that our problem was we do not have "blue chip" players. This is true. The two Team playing today have those. Name ours?......Nyet!

This is very important. We have not one player an opposing Team has to account for. We had been blessed with many in the past. Brady, Moss, Gronk, Welker, even JE and more, or on the defense guys like Richard Seymour, Ty Law, Revis and others. The opposition today can play it straight with us.

Is it against our religion to get a high profile guy or two? I will give you five moves that I think will increase the Patriots wins by 20% in 2023 (should be playoffs), We have to investigate Teams with CAP issues and be willing to trade our 11 picks Draft class.

Let's start with the one guy who can keep the DC coordinator to stay a little late prior to meeting the Pats, I propose a two-fer with the Saints. My first got to have I mentioned a few times is Alvin Kamara.....for slot WR! Let's call him #1a. He's only 27 but the Saints have used him up a bit. He can still have a few plays at RB to take the pressure of of Strevenson but he is by far the best receiving RB in the NFL. A 'blue chip " guy. Now give him some room in the slot and his make you miss after the catch can be devastating. His versatility could help in the WR and the RB rooms. The next player would be 28 year old RT Ryan Ramczyk. At $9mm for Kamara and $14mm for Ramczyk we can afford it. The Saints are last in the League at a negative $60mm. Now the Saints can use two players to trade prior to the June 1 salary CAP designation trade date and still benefit. Why would the Saints do this? They considered trading Kamara at the 2022 Trade deadline last year because he still has value. It is almost half of the negative $60mm CAP and allows them a few moves to get a QB in Carr. They have CAP issues and need a QB. We get two young players who are plug and play.

For #1b there is no doubt Hopkins from the Cards is a WR who can make a difference here. He is the same age that Moss was when he arrived. If he stays healthy he is a top ten WR in the NFL and definitely your #1 WR. "BLUE CHIP" guy. My back up plan is Hopkins does not get here is Paris Campbell whom is overlooked, He's bigger and has 4.31 speed (we need that) He has been hurt but now healthy and had a superb last half on 2022. He was better than McLaurin at Ohio State.

Now for my third "blue chip" guy, can we still afford CB Jalen Ramsey? $17mm is tough but it goes toe $14 in 2024. He's young. He's feared. He's playing in the wrong Defense with the Rams who are in major CAP hell as well.

Still need a cover LB because we have none. Drue Tranquill. Former Safety he had 148 tackles and 5 sacks for the Bolts. He should be reasonable.

Resign Peppers and Cardona helps the cause. McDermot was a worth while swing Tackle pick ip. At $16mm I'd say thank you to Meyers for his service but no. Jonathan Jones would be my main keeper.

Then you grab Donovan Smith is the cash strapped Bucs can't keep him for your LT and you can release Trent Brown.

So three major trades for the "Blue Chippers", We sprinkle in a couple of these other kids and you are pretty solid on paper.(note: on paper)
If we got those three "Blue Chippers" I trust we gain 20% in wins in 2023.

Would Kamara, Hopkins and Ramsey bring us to the next level? The first two BOB will love. Can we get Smith to produce?

Thoughts and threats?
DW Toys

BOB and Hopkins worked together - they split because they do not like each other. I do not agree with much here. Maybe Kamara but I am always worried about older RBs, they fall off a cliff quickly. Tranquill is an interesting idea - that might work.

BOB and Hopkins worked together - they split because they do not like each other. I do not agree with much here. Maybe Kamara but I am always worried about older RBs, they fall off a cliff quickly. Tranquill is an interesting idea - that might work.
Feels like much of what I've been saying that past few weeks... Hopkins would be immense for us.. just his presence alone would command attention so others can do work..

I like Kamara he is phenomenal, but rham is the bell cow and proved he can be the the duel threat we need.. I'd like to see the young guys in harris and strong continuing to get opportunities..

In my humble opinion 2 slight moves would make all the difference hop on offense and Ramsey on defense..

In my humble opinion 2 slight moves would make all the difference hop on offense and Ramsey on defense..

There is the risk that Kamara and Ramsey are not what they used to be. We are not in SB or bust mode, so paying for older, maybe finished, FAs is a very risky strategy. The Pats have to be positive those guys will still be great in 3 years - if not better off with younger guys.

There is the risk that Kamara and Ramsey are not what they used to be. We are not in SB or bust mode, so paying for older, maybe finished, FAs is a very risky strategy. The Pats have to be positive those guys will still be great in 3 years - if not better off with younger guys.
I get what you're saying and that's true! However what we've always been made up of is a nice mix of veterans and young ascending players..

Now Kamara I know he's been banged up, Ramsey has been pretty durable save a think he had an ankle injury from my knowledge.

He is still young 27,28 in his prime..he's in the wrong system.. that doesn't allow him to properly utilize his talents.. same with judon he was qn older player when we signed him and he's been everything and more you could want in FA signing..

Definitely want to stay young, but we also need youth and experience as well.. as far as competing for SBs anything can happen.. Eagles had 4 wins one season and the next thing you know they are in the Super Bowl!

I love Daron Payne but he will cost a fortune. McGlinchey as well. If we can get those two, we're well on our way to improvement.
Our best shots at some other players will be from the cut downs and via trades. Just so many possibilities. Go all in Bill. Create some cap space. You only have about 2-3 years left, as does Bob Kraft. We just need to give Mac some time (OL help) and he'll make the plays with addition of a good WR.
The draft should net us a couple of good players (CB,WR but also need OT/C, LB and Edge guy, even though Uche had a good run this past year, there's no depth). We could also trade our future pick(s) for a solid vet(s).

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back