PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-Free Agency 2023

Please people stop trying to get blood from a stone when it comes on to Jonnu Smith he's not a good fit here plain and simple. Smith was only 50 yards better with a Real OC McDaniels. I think the Patriots would be foolish not to Draft TE in this upcoming Draft. Jonnu Smith and Travis Kelce in the same sentence is just ridiculous. :rolleyes:
But he might be a good fit with BOB as the OC. He made stars out of Gronk (the big bull) and Hernandez (the nifty HB) in their first years here. In a way Smith and Henry might be Gronk/Hernandez - lite. I have never liked what Smith has been asked to do while he's been here. He's a decent blocker who would fit the HB/FB/slot role that Hernandez did when his on field performance mattered.

Now you might ultimately be right, but I'd give BOB a chance to right this position schematically

But he might be a good fit with BOB as the OC. He made stars out of Gronk (the big bull) and Hernandez (the nifty HB) in their first years here. In a way Smith and Henry might be Gronk/Hernandez - lite. I have never liked what Smith has been asked to do while he's been here. He's a decent blocker who would fit the HB/FB/slot role that Hernandez did when his on field performance mattered.

Now you might ultimately be right, but I'd give BOB a chance to right this position schematically
ken I would love to give Jonnu Smith the benefit of the doubt but he just hasn't shown that much we are basically stuck with him and that contract. Could Bob turn him into a player? Maybe am I holding my breath? Heck no: that said I would bring in a Rookie TE from this Draft they're some really fine prospects available. I don't want us going into the season depending on him maybe he finds himself in that scenario. Either way Jonnu is going to an expensive Second or Third TE.

I don't get the hate for Carr? He's a capable NFL QB that is better than half of the league. Certainly even with Jimmy G.
Although Jimmy to LV makes a ton of sense.
And, I think Mayfield can surprise some team if it's the right fit (and he gets Aaron's mental guru to "fix" him this offseason)

Tamper away, fellas!

Doesn’t necessarily mean more money, could mean a little less salary but a lot of that salary is actually guaranteed, whereas his current deal is not at all and he would be essentially year-to-year. He could go to a new team and take less per year but actually expect to get more of that money because much of it comes in a fat signing bonus.

I don't get the hate for Carr? He's a capable NFL QB that is better than half of the league. Certainly even with Jimmy G.
And, I think Mayfield can surprise some team if it's the right fit (and he gets Aaron's mental guru to "fix" him this offseason)
I would love us to get Mayfield even on a one year prove it deal to beef up the competition around Mac.

He's burnt toast at this point. He shows all the signs of a QB who is done playing. Think about how Joe Flacco just nosedived well before his mid 30s. That's what I see in Carr. Just isn't with the program anymore. Just a chucker.

I think Juju made himself some Big bucks in FA could we sign him and put him in the Slot?? Juju Smith-Schuster is still in the prime of his career and is way better than J Meyers.

Cousin
JuJu might be decent but still an enigma.

Jerry Jeudy anybody? The Broncos have a problem for their new coach. They do not have a pick until the third round because of the Russ trade. #67 is there first pick. Bill has trade with Peyton for a WR before with moderate success....Cooks.

We all would agree Jeudy would be the best WR if he was in this class. He's only 23 and was Macs roomy at Bama. Jeudy in only on for $4.8mm this year that balloons to $12mm next year. That is his 5th year. The Broncos might still be in CAP hell then.

Would you trade the Broncos for Jeudy for our 14th pick in the first? They only have 5 picks this year and we should have 11 picks. They have $11mm CAP space so not great.

Don't send the torches and pitch forks for me.....I have one more trade. The Saints need a young QB and at 29 that would be a nyet chance!!!

At #14 perhaps NO can take someone(QB?) or a package can get them a QB. Imagine if we trade them our pick #14 and our second 4th rounder #134 for NO #29 in the 1st and their #40 in the second? The Draft trade points are the same. That give us three picks in the top 50.....but an avenue to entice Sean P to move Jeudy for say........ the #29 pick? Now he at least has a first rounder to use or move down and we get Jeudy.

Jeudy had almost 1,000 yards (972) and 1 67% catch rate. He only missed one game in 2022. He had 4.46 speed and is 6'1" and 193lbs. He is the 18th rated WR with a terrible QB situation (worse than our bad QB production year) in 2022. He is an elite route runner.

In full disclosure yes I actually would trade our #14 for Jeudy as long as we got their #67 or #68 back in the 3rd. We could take a vote???
DW Toys

I think Juju made himself some Big bucks in FA could we sign him and put him in the Slot?? Juju Smith-Schuster is still in the prime of his career and is way better than J Meyers.
He should stay where he's at in KC. He had a bounce back year, but no team is going to pay him to be a #1 target. He isn't quick enough to play slot. Pats need to get better slot receiver production as Meyers is just not quick enough - catches the ball and is immediately tackled.

Don't send the torches and pitch forks for me.....I have one more trade. The Saints need a young QB and at 29 that would be a nyet chance!!!
At #14 perhaps NO can take someone(QB?) or a package can get them a QB. Imagine if we trade them our pick #14 and our second 4th rounder #134 for NO #29 in the 1st and their #40 in the second? The Draft trade points are the same. That give us three picks in the top 50.....but an avenue to entice Sean P to move Jeudy for say........ the #29 pick? Now he at least has a first rounder to use or move down and we get Jeudy.
No. On the draft value chart, 14 alone is worth more than 29 and 40 combined, so why would we give them a late 4th as well?

For instance, in 2021, the Giants sent pick 11 to the Bears, who used it to select Fields. In return, the Giants received pick 20, fifth-round picks in 2021 and Chicago's first and fourth-round picks in 2022.

The Bears were willing to pay a premium in order to get their QB of the future, but your proposed trade doesn’t represent good value. In order to drop from 14 to 29, the Pats should expect a high 2nd plus a late day 2 pick OR a 2024 1st and an early day 3 pick this year.

Jeudy had almost 1,000 yards (972) and 1 67% catch rate. He only missed one game in 2022. He had 4.46 speed and is 6'1" and 193lbs. He is the 18th rated WR with a terrible QB situation (worse than our bad QB production year) in 2022. He is an elite route runner.

In full disclosure yes I actually would trade our #14 for Jeudy as long as we got their #67 or #68 back in the 3rd. We could take a vote???
DW Toys
NO. Again, that represents poor value, even if they receive pick 67 or 68. Last year, AZ traded pick 23 for Marquise Brown (who was coming off of a 91-1,008-6TD year) and pick 100. The difference in value between 14 and 23 is ~ 70 points on the draft value chart, which translates into pick 57-59 range…..so, if the Pats traded 14 for Jeudy, they should expect to receive not only a late 2nd but also a late 3rd, if one uses the Marquise Brown trade as a guide. I would say that Brown and Jeudy are in the same WR tier and had similar production entering year 4. In fact, overall Brown had been more productive years 1-3 than Jeudy.

If the Pats trade 14 for a WR, it has to be for a young WR1. That’s not Jeudy and pick 67 or 68 wouldn’t make me feel better about overpaying for a WR2. At 14 one of the top 3 CBs or OTs should still be there. Those should be the target positions. If they then want to get aggressive and trade back into later rd 1 in order to draft someone like Flowers, I’d be down with that.

Last edited:
Give Mac adams& waller he'd be borderline All Pro!!! What was carrs excuse?
Waller played in 9 games last year and Renfrow in 10 they were hardly on the field at the same time...That said Derek Carr is still an average QB.

If you go though the last ten years of the draft, the #14 pick is right on the border of where the blue chips end and the crapshoot prospects begin. I just look at Wikipedia and the pro bowl/all-pro stuff and you can see a big dropoff right around the middle of the first round. I think this is why they say the most value is at the end of the first/beginning of the second round. There's not a huge probability difference of success between the 20th pick and the 40th pick.

he had similar production compared to meyers, not in the last few years albeit... might be worth looking at if Meyers flies the coop in free agency
It's interesting you say that another Giant WR who's a also a free agent and Meyers clone Darius Slayton.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back