PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pre-Free Agency 2023

What I'm saying is.. we were dam good on defense last season.. heck we dam near scored more than our offense at times.

A lock down corner and another LB is what we need defensively

However on offense if we got just not 1 but, 2 impact WRs we'd be in the conversation again.
We looked really good against crap Teams and QB's last year on Defense. This year is a way more Tougher schedule hoping for injuries by our opponents.

So, your position is that it would cost us $20M or more to get a Tier 1 OT, CB or WR,

I agree.

We need all three plus a top safety (in addition to Peppers).

So, do you think that we should pay $20M, $20M, 20M and a bit less for a safety?

My solution is that we should
1) use our 1st for one of these needs, specifically one of the top 3 OT's.
2) trade for a WR
3) re-sign Jones
4) re-sign Peppers
5) Sign a mid-level WR (with a wish and hope of success)
6) Sign a mid-level S (Belichick has been very successful here)
We largely agree with minor quibbles.

I'm not in the market for a safety replacement. It should come in house. Mills or Phillips.

1. Partially agree on OT. I'd try to sign a CB or OT in the FA market and focus on shoring up the other position in the draft.
2. Sign Tremaine Edmunds to $15m a year
3. WR like Josh Downs in the 2nd UNLESS
4. If we don't land a top FA CB or OT, take the top CB then trade a 2nd and 3rd up to take one of OTs Harrison, D Jones or Wright
5. Anyone willing to trade their WR at this point does not have a WR worthy of the trade value. In other words, WRs are coveted and I don't see top guys as being available.
6. Sign Jakobi for $12-$14m per.
7. DE in the draft is a must. Deatrich Wise needs backup and an heir apparent. We are thin at DE.
8. Backup OL is a must, guards, tackles, centers.
9. THIS MAY BE THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR OF ALL: Renew Onwenu and Dugger. Let Uche play on his final year contract and revisit after the season.

PREFERRED DEFENSIVE TARGETS (hopefully they will sign a couple of these guys)

CB: Resign Jones
Add Bunting or Sutton (filling CB needs in FA will allow them to wait on CB in the draft until rd 3/4)

LB: Edmunds($$$) or Pratt

S: Resign Peppers
Add Bates or Gardner-Johnson (both $$$) to replace McCourty OR go thriftier route with
Thornhill or Rapp

DT: Saunders (6', 325, 5.01 forty)

DE: Davenport($$), Jones($$) Allen (BC alum)

We looked really good against crap Teams and QB's last year on Defense. This year is a way more Tougher schedule hoping for injuries by our opponents.
That's true, when we faced teams with good WRs we struggled.. in the secondary.. it's also mind boggling to Me that we see Allen 2x a season and we still can't beat the bills..

Took the bills years to finally get a QB.
If you look at the Jets and Bills, it took them 45 years and 14 1st and 2nd round draft picks collectively spent on QBs in order to find a top NFL QB. So far, all that effort has only yielded Josh Allen.

This is why I think chasing the QB dream is foolish. If Mac Jones can't play at a significantly high level (midrange of the league) he needs to be replaced. But don't chuck him over hoping for a top 5 stud. That's a foolish chase.

Look at these names:

Todd Collins
Drew Bledsoe
Rob Johnson
Geno Smith
Mark Sanchez
JP Losman
EJ Manuel
Trent Edwards
Browning Nagle
Kellen Clemens
Geno Smith
Christian Hackenburg
Sam Darnold
Zach Wilson

BTW, the Dolphins are no better.

If you look at the Jets and Bills, it took them 45 years and 14 1st and 2nd round draft picks collectively spent on QBs in order to find a top NFL QB. So far, all that effort has only yielded Josh Allen.

This is why I think chasing the QB dream is foolish. If Mac Jones can't play at a significantly high level (midrange of the league) he needs to be replaced. But don't chuck him over hoping for a top 5 stud. That's a foolish chase.

Look at these names:

Todd Collins
Drew Bledsoe
Rob Johnson
Geno Smith
Mark Sanchez
JP Losman
EJ Manuel
Trent Edwards
Browning Nagle
Kellen Clemens
Geno Smith
Christian Hackenburg
Sam Darnold
Zach Wilson

Ummmm…..why are we talking about former Jets and Bills QBs. Can we stick to the free agent period That starts in 53 minutes?

Spoiler for today and the next few days: Pats will make no moves and people will be fooled by twitter posts more than ever now because anyone can have blue check mark

Others have already mentioned him but signing Jessie Bates longterm makes sense. He plays a position that is devalued league wide but is valuable in the pats cover 1 defense. They’d also be adding an elite player that doesn’t cost any draft picks. Reiss has been hinting at him as a potential splash signing so who knows.

Look at these names:

Todd Collins
Drew Bledsoe
Rob Johnson
Geno Smith
Mark Sanchez
JP Losman
EJ Manuel
Trent Edwards
Browning Nagle
Kellen Clemens
Geno Smith
Christian Hackenburg
Sam Darnold
Zach Wilson

I'll agree, awesome information BTW. I'm so eager for this season as I want to see how it all comes together. I feel like Mac can play loose, express his leadership more and continue to grow as a qb. I think we all can agree we are happy to see that there is some structure back on offense.

JP Losman remember that QB lol wow. If we can have the 2021 version of Mac with this defense we could suprise alot of people

Spoiler for today and the next few days: Pats will make no moves and people will be fooled by twitter posts more than ever now because anyone can have blue check mark
Your post was rendered void in 11 minutes. LOL

Ummmm…..why are we talking about former Jets and Bills QBs. Can we stick to the free agent period That starts in 53 minutes?
He was just trying make a point in wich he did very well explained...

Look at these names:

Todd Collins
Drew Bledsoe
Rob Johnson
Geno Smith
Mark Sanchez
JP Losman
EJ Manuel
Trent Edwards
Browning Nagle
Kellen Clemens
Geno Smith
Christian Hackenburg
Sam Darnold
Zach Wilson

Jannu Smith traded to falcons!!!

So, your position is that it would cost us $20M or more to get a Tier 1 OT, CB or WR,

I agree.

We need all three plus a top safety (in addition to Peppers).

So, do you think that we should pay $20M, $20M, 20M and a bit less for a safety?

My solution is that we should
1) use our 1st for one of these needs, specifically one of the top 3 OT's.
2) trade for a WR
3) re-sign Jones
4) re-sign Peppers
5) Sign a mid-level WR (with a wish and hope of success)
6) Sign a mid-level S (Belichick has been very successful here)
Bravo Cousin MG.
Breakfast to start "NFL holy week" was Finnish Pancake with syrup. berries and bananas coffee and OJ.

I think you still go LT Donovan Smith. He can sign right now. He's only 29. He doesn't miss many games (missed only 8 games in 8 years) . He is serviceable if not spectacular. In 2022 PFF had him at 84.7% pass blocking or 2nd.

Now you might consider a CB in the first Round after trading down. I have targeted the Saints. IMO I give them pick #14 for their pick #29 and their second Round pick #40. We'd have to throw Comp pick #135 toward the deal to make the numbers work. I might try one more Trade.

That one more Draft trade. The LA Rams need a QB (perhaps Levis). Swap pick #29 for their pick #36 and pick #77 in the 3rd they just got from Miami (poetic justice). Now we send pick #77 to Arizona the get WR Hopkins...(more poetic justice).

Resign Jones CHECK
Resign Peppers CHECK

Sign this kid FA Julian Love from the Giants for replacement to McCourty at Safety (2nd tier type pick) CHECK
Sign FA Drue Tranquil (2nd tier type pick) for move OLB

Now the "blue chip" signing.....OBJ .....Hopkins and OBJ? Ransey can't cover both of them. We did not have one player on the offense that Other Teams had to game plan for. If make can't get double his pas stats this year then he is NOT the guy. I am not the biggest fan of OBJ but who do you cover?

Now at picks #36, #40 and #46 in the 2nd you can go best CB, best WR and best OT (or DT) and still have #76 in the 3rd so four picks in the top 100.
I am going:
Bryan Bresee DT Clemson
Rashee Rice WR SMU
Cam Smith CB South Carolina

#76 in Round 3
Dawand Jones OT Ohio State or Tucker Kraft TE S.D. State

Thoughts?
DW Toys

Others have already mentioned him but signing Jessie Bates longterm makes sense. He plays a position that is devalued league wide but is valuable in the pats cover 1 defense. They’d also be adding an elite player that doesn’t cost any draft picks. Reiss has been hinting at him as a potential splash signing so who knows.
Good target Cousin,
Bates would do well here or the Kid from the Giants ....Julian Love.

Now if the Pats really had cajones they would make either of these outrageous moves. Not a slight of Mac Jones but BB is going to be 72. Does he want to keep baby sitting Jones or does he want to win on his way out the door? Jones might be the guy or might not be.

How to melt down the NFL:

Plan A-Put an offer on the table for Lamar that the Ravens can't match. We have a way to pay him. We can create the CAP room.
Then get Josh to pay up a #1 for Mac. We are talking 2-3 games last year to make the playoffs. We were a couple fumbles and a bone head play to pick up those three games. We had a crap offense last year. Would Lamar win 2-3 games more in 2023 Cousins? You can give me your answer. Mac is now a mystery because of 2022.

Plan B-Sign Jimmie G. He wants $25mm per year +incentives. Doable He's only 31 and when healthy is a winning QB. Can he get those two or three games? Can we get a #1 for Mac? Bucs, Colts. Ravnes if Lamar goes, Rams because Stafford is done (no #1) , Packers...Love? Nyet. Washington? Even SF if they give up on Lance. You still have Zappe.

The League would melt and twitter would explode!

DW Toys

Hargrave to Niners....man that D is loaded...

Good target Cousin,
Bates would do well here or the Kid from the Giants ....Julian Love.

Now if the Pats really had cajones they would make either of these outrageous moves. Not a slight of Mac Jones but BB is going to be 72. Does he want to keep baby sitting Jones or does he want to win on his way out the door? Jones might be the guy or might not be.

How to melt down the NFL:
Plan A-Put an offer on the table for Lamar that the Ravens can't match. We have a way to pay him. We can create the CAP room.
Then get Josh to pay up a #1 for Mac. We are talking 2-3 games last year to make the playoffs. We were a couple fumbles and a bone head play to pick up those three games. We had a crap offense last year. Would Lamar win 2-3 games more in 2023 Cousins? You can give me your answer. Mac is now a mystery because of 2022.

Plan B-Sign Jimmie G. He wants $25mm per year +incentives. Doable He's only 31 and when healthy is a winning QB. Can he get those two or three games? Can we get a #1 for Mac? Bucs, Colts. Ravnes if Lamar goes, Rams because Stafford is done (no #1) , Packers...Love? Nyet. Washington? Even SF if they give up on Lance. You still have Zappe.

The League would melt and twitter would explode!

DW Toys

No thanks.

1.) Lamar would help us...but his cap hits would not allow us to field any offensive skill position players...so we would be relying on Lamar's runs.

2.) Two first round picks? That would also hurt a lot.

3.) Jimmie G? The man cannot stay upright for 17 games...possibly 18 games in the near future.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back