PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

[Pre-Draft Thread] NFL Draft 2020 - NE Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's my Patriots 7 round mock...used draft network mock machine...

23. Patrick Queen, LB LSU
87. Bradlee Anae, EDGE Utah
98. Albert Okwuegbunam, TE Missouri
100. Anthony Gordon, QB Washington State
125. Lynn Bowden, WR Kentucky
172. Geno Stone, S Iowa
195. Calvin Throckmorton, OT Oregon
204. Zach Shackelford, IOL Texas
212. Raequan Williams, IDL Michigan State
213. Dane Jackson, CB Pittsburgh
230. James Proche, WR SMU
241. Rodrigo Blankenship, K Georgia
I'd be very pleased if it came out this way. I'm hoping Kenneth Murray slides and we take him at #23, but if not, I'd be happy with Queen. I think they do go LB with the first pick if one of these two is available. I'm not sold on Zach Baun, who's another possibility. Wouldn't be surprised if they go OL, either, with Thuney future in the air and Cannon breaking down.

I'd like for them to double dip at the TE position so if a guy like Dalton Keene is available in the 5th, scoop him up. He went to my alma mater. Good quickness and speed for a bigger guy, tough/lunch-pail kind of kid who's strong as an ox. Decent hands.

I also love the Bowden pick. Speaking of my alma mater, he absolutely undressed VT in the Belk Bowl this year. Was put in at QB halfway through the year (they were down to like their 5th option), and he ran with it. Decent arm, but his running ability and vision were unreal. Put the entire team on his back and single-handedly won that bowl game. Bulldog mentality. BB type for sure.

I'd be very pleased if it came out this way. I'm hoping Kenneth Murray slides and we take him at #23, but if not, I'd be happy with Queen. I think they do go LB with the first pick if one of these two is available. I'm not sold on Zach Baun, who's another possibility. Wouldn't be surprised if they go OL, either, with Thuney future in the air and Cannon breaking down.

I'd like for them to double dip at the TE position so if a guy like Dalton Keene is available in the 5th, scoop him up. He went to my alma mater. Good quickness and speed for a bigger guy, tough/lunch-pail kind of kid who's strong as an ox. Decent hands.

I also love the Bowden pick. Speaking of my alma mater, he absolutely undressed VT in the Belk Bowl this year. Was put in at QB halfway through the year (they were down to like their 5th option), and he ran with it. Decent arm, but his running ability and vision were unreal. Put the entire team on his back and single-handedly won that bowl game. Bulldog mentality. BB type for sure.

When was the last time Belichick drafted a 229 pound linebacker in the early rounds of the draft?

So they are still having this draft thing tomorrow night? BSPN I assume?

Joe Klatt at Fox just released his final (and bizarre) draft. He has Tua going at 6 to the Chargers, and Herbert going at 18 to the Phins. The Pats get Cole Kmet at 23 (who I thought was a 2nd rounder)

Last edited:
Joe Klatt at Fox just released his final (and bizarre) draft. He has Tua going at 6 to the Chargers, and Herbert going at 18 to the Phins. The Pats get Cole Kmet at 23 (who I thought was a 2nd rounder)
I'd be fine with Kmet at 23. I don't care about rankings, it would fill a huge need.

When was the last time Belichick drafted a 229 pound linebacker in the early rounds of the draft?
It would be unconventional for BB but the game is changing. It's great to have the Hightowers of the world but I feel that the LB position is evolving where you'll see lighter-weight, lengthy, and rangey guys in the mold of Queen (and Myles Jack). He could still serve to gain 5-10 pounds which I think he can given he's only 21.

Queen is great in pass coverage, and is quick off the snap. Also supposedly has a high football IQ. He'll struggle against NFL sized lineman one on one and he'd have to rely on his athleticism to spring him free off the edge/through stunts but I think you really use him more in coverage. We'll see.

I tend to agree with everyone in this thread and appreciate all the different options you guys bring up...then my butthurt from back in 2001 that only exacerbated in following seasons has led me to throw up my hands in surrender and acknowledge that Bill is trading out of the 1st round...and will probably attempt to make this another 3rd/4th round extravagnaza...with the obligatory trade outs for picks next year.
Sorry...he's just burned us so many times I've become Pavlovian in my response

I tend to agree with everyone in this thread and appreciate all the different options you guys bring up...then my butthurt from back in 2001 that only exacerbated in following seasons has led me to throw up my hands in surrender and acknowledge that Bill is trading out of the 1st round...and will probably attempt to make this another 3rd/4th round extravagnaza...with the obligatory trade outs for picks next year.
Sorry...he's just burned us so many times I've become Pavlovian in my response
I think not having a 2nd rounder might make it even more likely BB trades out. This draft is said to be very deep, where you can get some studs in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. I wouldn't put it past BB to trade the 23 overall for a 2nd and a 3rd. Thanks, Sanu.

With that said, I think if somebody like a Murray, Chaisson, or one of the stud OT's drops that they'll select them. Will be awesome to watch it all unfold.

If we do kick out of round one and say it's for a 2nd and 3rd, Friday night will be a big one for the Pats and for the Pats future!! That's 5 picks that night and then Sat morning opening up with two 4th round picks. Yum.

If we do kick out of round one and say it's for a 2nd and 3rd, Friday night will be a big one for the Pats and for the Pats future!! That's 5 picks that night and then Sat morning opening up with two 4th round picks. Yum.
The pent up excitement and subsequent let-down of no pick on Thursday will only push me to drink even more on Friday/Saturday. Speaking of, need to hit the mart to stock up. Going to be an awesome weekend

The non-Volin Patriots reporter for the globe had an interesting thought about the Pats taking Winfield Jr. in the first. 23 is too early but if they traded down into the last few picks of the 1st (or the first few picks of the 2nd) that type of player would be a classic surprise pick by Belichick. I wouldn't hate it, either. The kid is a player.

My final Pats 7 Round Mock
23. Kenneth Murray LB Oklahoma
87. Adam Trautman TE Dayton
98. Bradlee Anae EDGE Utah
100. Van Jefferson WR Florida
125. Solomon Kindley OL Georgia
139. Lynn Bowden WR Kentucky
172. James Morgan QB FIU
195. Dalton Keene TE Virginia Tech
204. Tyler Bass K Georgia Southern
212. David Woodward LB Utah State
213. Tanner Muse S Clemson