PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thread - Pats @ Steelers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remember when we mocked the Colts for giving up 200 yards to Jonas Gray? Good times. I wonder how Gray would do against this teams run defense. :confused:

The defense was horrendous yesterday. If that was the Chiefs or Saints it would be a lot more than 14....
That's true. While I have no hopes of winning a SB this year, I hope Texans lose one and we can stil manage to get #2 seed. With one home playoff game, may be we can at least make it to AFCCG.

That's true. While I have no hopes of winning a SB this year, I hope Texans lose one and we can stil manage to get #2 seed. With one home playoff game, may be we can at least make it to AFCCG.

That’s the best kind of winning... one that you have no hopes to win. Giants in 07 didnt look wonderful in December either and faced a road of 3 road playoff games and we know what happened after that. Hopefully we have a run like that in us.

The Steelers WRs made some ridiculous catches on perfect throws in tight coverage, not much can be done about that. What bothered me more than anything about yesterday's game were our WR drops in important situations (Edelman and Gordon) and their rookie RB looking like an all-star in the absence of Conner. Also the Pats running game getting more or less stuffed. It was a winnable game for us but Pittsburgh earned it. Just goes to show that more often than not in the NFL, the team that NEEDS to win usually does.

It all goes back to Bill’s refusal or inability to draft top quality defense in the first round. Leyton Van der Esche was selected 4 picks ahead of Wynn. Why can’t Bill trade up?
I loved LVE prior to the draft.

Can someone answer me why we’re forcing the ball to Rex Burkhead when Josh Gordon and James White are still healthy, active members of this team?

I don’t understand it. Your best offensive weapons and you’re not using them. Idiotic.

Checked out of curiosity. Last night was the only time all season Brown & Smith-Schuster combined for under 100 receiving yards. Thielen/Diggs also had their worst production of the season vs. the secondary.

That’s just frustrating knowing the front seven is preventing great defensive play. It’s the inverse of some past defenses.
That's BBs game plan. Take away what you do best and beat us another way, I think they did what they planned the offense didnt.

Thinking more about this, while we should have won both of the last games, I am more okay with our current situation for a number of reasons.

1) I think this record is more realistic to what we are--if we had won and were 10-3, we'd have an unrealistic assessment

2) some will say this is defeatist thinking, but given our limitations, it would be less crushing to lose as a third seed than if we had gotten to a 1 or 2 and been stunned in our first game, perhaps at home to a WC team (since either WC team will have a decent chance to advance). Given who the WCs will be (any number of possibilities are all good), that would close to as likely to happen then (if we were rated higher) as it would be now for us

3) if we get to the AFC championship and lose, it will be less upsetting now than it would have been if we were 13-3.

4) I'm torn on this one, but I think maybe it would be better to not get to the SB than to lose in a SB. If we lost, all the talk about how TB is basically .500 in the big one would come out (never mind that he had to play lights out to even make it to at least a couple of those, not to mention the same for many conference championships). HOWEVER, it we got there by being 11-5 and lost, that would temper it some from getting there at 13-3 and losing.

Someone else mentioned that as a three seed, we'd face a home 2nd WC and be likely to go to Houston next, with a chance of someone else bumping whoever wins the West out before then. In some ways I like that better than us playing the either a top WC (either SD or KC) or a division winner in our first game after a bye (though obviously if it was Houston, it would be better to play them at home).

Last edited:
As it turns out, the consequence of having only one good player on your defensive line is a historically bad run defense. Totally whiffing on both Shelton and Clayborne has really bit the team in the ass.

I've mostly defended Bill the GM in the past but it's difficult to justify some of the decisions that led to the roster as it currently stands.

Last edited:
Something else to consider: nearly every other team riding high in recent weeks has just as much reason to be reticent as we do (except perhaps teams like Baltimore who are riding high after thinking they were pretty much done). Look at the Rams, for goodness sakes. I suppose the Bears are an exception, but everyone can see what their limitations are. The Chargers are hitting their stride, BUT could just as easily have lost to Pitt and/or KC, and might lose games like that if they are in them again. Certainly KC is starting to think, oh no, here we go again. Houston is feeling solid, but once again ,theyve gone from ambivalent to confident (and even they did struggle against the jets).

Seattle was become many people's darling, and they lost to a bottom 3 or 4 team. Pitt did not look particularly good in breaking a 3 game losing streak, and they have a road game against NO. We saw what Dallas did yesterday, and they played their tails off to win a couple of recent games (NO and Philly) that would have changed the narrative considerably had they lost one or both.

I suppose NO is playing pretty well, BUT the loss to Dallas does let them know that their offense is not unstoppable, and they did let the Rams overcome a 21 point deficit at NO a few weeks ago (though NO went on to win). Even yesterday against TB was more of a struggle than would have been expected.

In short, all of the teams except maybe Chicago for which people had reason for high expectations a couple of weeks ago now have much room for dobt, just like pats fans do. The fanbases feeling best right now are those of some of the WC teams who have moved up during the course of the season (Indy, Baltimore, even though they are a long shot to get in, Cleveland, maybe Philly, who would have been flabbergasted at the beginning of the season if you told them theyd be where they are right now, but all of a sudden are feeling hopeful given the ways things are playing out). I'd put TN in the same group. BUT, the fact that these are all WC-area teams despite their optimism tells you they very much have some shortcomings that could be majorly exposed, even though they have done exceptionally well in minimizing them in recent weeks.

In short, while we can certainly see our significant flaws, I think we see them no more so than most of the other good teams. And because I wouldn't count any of them out, I won;t count us out, either. especially as expectations start to lower--and a LOT of what has doomed us recently, if cleaned up, could make a big difference in the play offs.

Last edited:
Remember when we mocked the Colts for giving up 200 yards to Jonas Gray? Good times. I wonder how Gray would do against this teams run defense. :confused:

You already know the answer to that.

I've mostly defended Bill the GM in the past but it's difficult to justify some of the decisions that led to the roster as it currently stands.

And if the media questions him, he’ll give some sarcastic answer like “nobody died” or something...

The Patriots could still put together a string of really good games and win a Superbowl. That possibility does exists. However, based on the sloppy and inconsistent play, it is an unlikely possibility.

The defense has had stretches where it looked really good against top competition and the offense has had stretches where it looked really good against top competition...sadly, the inverse is also true.

The Miami game pissed me off royally - you can always lose games like yesterday, which is why you do not give won games like Miami away. Having said that, I feel strangely confident about this team. The back end on defense is getting much better - which is crucial in today’s pass dependent game. I think the rush D problems were partly bad play and partly what we were focusing on. I think we will improve in coming weeks. The offense needs to get a rhythm, but we have talent. I will predict now this team wins at least 2 playoff games.

Better hope Houston stumbles or we get the Dolphins in round one. Indy and Baltimore won’t be easy.

14 penalties and the Steelers only scored 14. This game was rigged, I never say that, win or lose, I always thought the games were pretty well done. This game reeked of the officials being biased

I want to hear the people who disagreed /laughed at you give their excuses as to why Parry told Brady that they were calling the game tighter when it was clear that the tighter was ONLY for the Patriots and not the Steelers.

- Fictitious DPI on Jones
- Fictitious holding call on Malcolm Brown
- Fictitious holding call on Shaq Mason
- the Bogus illegal man downfield call on Van Noy
- the lack of holding calls on Pitt O-line and on Antonio Brown despite them doing the same thing Trent Brown did.
- the lack of DPI/Illegal Contact in the End Zone on Pitt despite them treating the Pats WRs like bumper cars.

The RZ offense is the worst in years

That's completely on McDaniels and Brady, imho. With Gronk, Edelman, White, Gordon, Patterson, Allen, and Hogan, there is no shortage of weapons. And yet, there seems to be no imagination with the plays. And so opposing teams clamp down on Gronk and we go nowhere.

That's completely on McDaniels and Brady, imho. With Gronk, Edelman, White, Gordon, Patterson, Allen, and Hogan, there is no shortage of weapons. And yet, there seems to be no imagination with the plays. And so opposing teams clamp down on Gronk and we go nowhere.
Its befuddling for sure.

I've been thinking the same about yours for years bro, but I dont really call out others. I can name 5 guys right now who love the attention and you're in that 5.

Go away and remove me from your feed, no hard feelings on my end but I dont need countless replies from you with your personal opinions of me.

You should follow your own advice. RW brings 1000 times what you do to the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes