PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Bears

Status
Not open for further replies.
I stopped reading this mess a sentence after you still can't see the obvious bad decision by Brady and blame the FB for not catching that throw.

Pointless to read the rest if you can't see even the obvious.
A qb isn’t supposed to predict that a receiver drops a pass he should catch into the hands of a defender.
You may the only person in the world with your view on this play.

They’re not young fans. That’s the thing. It used to be that the defensive stats were otherwise bad but we could hang our hats on the POINTZ statistic, but we can’t even do that so far this season. As for the personnel being the issue or not? Time will tell. The play at CB2 has been hit or miss at best. Jones is ideally a nickel corner but has had to see time outside due to instability at the position. DT play has not been consistent at all thus far. Same with the safety play outside of Chung (though you may be able to point to the newer role for Devin on that side of the ball). The LBs have improved as Hightower has come along but it still isn’t what you would call consistently good, either.
Nah you're right they don't know what they're talking about but I was just tryna be nice :)

You recognize that they don't have the personnel to be a shutdown performance but expect them to cover up Offensive and ST miscues.

The Pats defense was on the field save for a few seconds from 7:34 left in the first quarter until 9:46 left in the second. Why put an average defense in that position?

Chicago's drives during that time frame:

1. Started from their 37. FG
Patriots Fumble on the KR
2. Started from NE's 24. TD
Patriots Fumble after 3 plays
3. Started from NE's 26. TD
Patterson returns a Kick for a TD
4. Started from their 25. Punt

Chicago did not score any points on drives that started on their 25 or less.

They had one start at their 37 and one start at their 42 - both of which went for six plays and a TD. They also moved the ball 6 plays for 34 yards and 8 plays for 51 yards before Trubisky went full Trubisky. That attempt to Miller was an ugly throw that wasn't impacted by pressure. He just made a bad throw. Furthermore, it's the defense's responsibility to swing those short fields by 8 points. They failed there as well.

I stopped reading this mess a sentence after you still can't see the obvious bad decision by Brady and blame the FB for not catching that throw.

Pointless to read the rest if you can't see even the obvious.

I wouldn't read the rest either. But you're the only person who thinks it was a bad decision because it was spoon fed to you by Lazar. Had that throw been completed and held onto, that's a new set of downs. Had he taken a sack, it would have made the FG attempt even longer. Brady completed the ball, Devlin had it in his hands, and then he didn't. To blame that on the QB is as moronic as it gets.

It was punched out by Adrian Amos after Develin had secured it and turned upfield.

I didn't think it looked like Develin had it fully secured, but you might be right. In any event, I'm not sure how that's Brady's fault.

Now now, you should know by now that any bad outcome resulting from Brady doing something wrong needs to be blamed on some other player or other unit. Get with the program! (Too many people in this forum behave just like Goober in his postgame press conferences.)

Stick to cheerleading. That's what you're good at.

Nah you're right they don't know what they're talking about but I was just tryna be nice :)

Yeah, I think that's obvious. The worst part is that they seem to know that the defense hasn't been great, and they're usually smarter than that, but for whatever reason they still feel the need to try to excuse that.

A qb isn’t supposed to predict that a receiver drops a pass he should catch into the hands of a defender.
You may the only person in the world with your view on this play.

I am pretty much surrounded by most of the beat guys and analysts on that.

But whatever I guess throwing a risky ball where you are being hurried, are not set and therefore can't put enough juice on it or aim it low enough to minimize the chance for it to be picked to your goddamn fullback in the flat is fine for some. It is lousy situational football at best (up 2 scores, on the verge of FG range) and then blaming your FB for not catching a less than optimal throw is funny.

But whatever I guess throwing a risky ball where you are being hurried, are not set and therefore can't put enough juice on it or aim it low enough to minimize the chance for it to be picked to your goddamn fullback in the flat is fine for some. It is lousy situational football at best (up 2 scores, on the verge of FG range) and then blaming your FB for not catching a less than optimal throw is funny.

LOL, I don't think you'd have an opinion or original thought on your own if it wasn't spoon fed to you by guys like Lazar and Chatham. There was nothing wrong with the throw or decision. It hit Develin in the hands, he had it, then he lost it. That's not on the QB and is just another example in a laundry list of them for why Lazar should avoid assigning blame for a given play because he really doesn't know what he's talking about. But let's revisit your idea - take the sack. You realize that had a good chance of knocking New England out of FG range - yes? Meanwhile, had Develin done his job and held on to the ball, we have a new set of downs and better field position.

It hit him in his hands.
If you blame the decision then you blame the decision to call a pass. Brady executed it properly.

The league has changed since 2003-2004. It’s no longer “defense wins championships.” There’s a reason why Bill has invested in more star power on the offensive side of the ball. Yes, the D has to play better but it doesn’t have to be at the 2003-2004 level. Out of all the contenders, only the Rams have a good defense - KC, NO, NE and Philly do not.

The resources are still pretty evenly invested on both sides as i can see (draft, FA, extensions, cap). The thing that people like to ignore is that the resources on a team that is relentlessly around the top of the league for two decades are extremely limited (esp. COMPARED to ALL the others). Also BB is one of the most responsible, patient people i know of so while he is always willing to deal and upgrade he is never willing to mortgage the future (not for himself not for anybody else) - even if it means fielding the defence that by the insatiable standards of some fans & media - sucks..

He will also mostly choose smart&tough + character over other more coveted and tangible qualities. That proves to be more sustainable in this sport.

btw - Rams defence sounds good by names but it still has a lot to prove on the field. They played arguably one of the easiest schedules so far yet in 4 games vs decent opponents they allowed 400 yds on average..

There are few defences that are playing good football at the moment (and w/o too many “stars“ like Ravens, Seahawks..) but not close to dominance that we used to see not long ago - as you said..

I didn't think it looked like Develin had it fully secured, but you might be right. In any event, I'm not sure how that's Brady's fault.

Not necessarily Develin's, either. Sometimes and opposing defender simply makes a great play. If we can praise JC Jackson for his pick, it seems to me that we can afford to throw some props at Amos.

There are two teams on the field. Not every outcome on every play is determined solely by the Pats.

But let's revisit your idea - take the sack. You realize that had a good chance of knocking New England out of FG range

The Pats were on the CHI-35. not quite "gimee" FG range, although the odds are that Gost would've made it.

The INT was returned to the CHI-37. Brady had taken a short drop, so he wasn't much further back than that. If he dives forward and turtles, it doesn't lengthen the FG by much, and it takes another 40 seconds off the clock, or costs the Bears a timeout. At worst, Ryan Allen has an opportunity to pin the Bears deep.

The Pats were on the CHI-35. not quite "gimee" FG range, although the odds are that Gost would've made it.

The INT was returned to the CHI-37. Brady had taken a short drop, so he wasn't much further back than that. If he dives forward and turtles, it doesn't lengthen the FG by much, and it takes another 40 seconds off the clock, or costs the Bears a timeout. At worst, Ryan Allen has an opportunity to pin the Bears deep.
Where was he diving forward to? That pressure came right up the gut. He didn’t have time to dive. He made the right play. The ball was in Develin’s hands which is all the QB can do in that situation. Develin just wansn’t able to hang on. Putting that result on the QB is asinine.

FWIW I was there and hated that damn play sequence that ended in the INT off the stone hands of the flippin FB. I thought they got too cute. They almost blew the game because of these poor play calls. They could have closed it out but didn't.

FWIW I was there and hated that damn play sequence that ended in the INT off the stone hands of the flippin FB. I thought they got too cute. They almost blew the game because of these poor play calls. They could have closed it out but didn't.
I don’t think that play was originally designed to go to Develin.

Where was he diving forward to? That pressure came right up the gut. He didn’t have time to dive. He made the right play. The ball was in Develin’s hands which is all the QB can do in that situation. Develin just wansn’t able to hang on. Putting that result on the QB is asinine.

I'm not "putting the result on the QB". I don't have any emotional investment here, so I have no motivation to put the blame on any player or unit.

"Stone hands?" It looked to me like Develin caught the ball well and had spun around facing upfield made a great defensive play by punching the ball out.

Well, f**k this sh it. Even otherwise great posters appear to have totally lost their objectivity and perspective in this thread.

I'm out.

I'm not "putting the result on the QB". I don't have any emotional investment here, so I have no motivation to put the blame on any player or unit.

I'm not inferring that you are. The original post that sparked this entire discussion was blaming Brady.

He’s 14th in completion percentage. All his numbers say he’s a mediocre to poor QB. That’s on planet NFL where he’s compared to his peers.

Gotta love J0hnnycomelately's who can't actually be bothered to comprehend things.

The numbers I quoted were BEFORE Trubisky played the Pats. The number's you're quoting are from AFTER. But god forbid you stop and think about that. Just because he ran into one of the best pass rushing defenses in the league that forced him to throw 50 times (nearly 25% of his total so far) doesn't mean he is mediocre to poor QB . That's imbecilic talk.

I think I agree with kontra in that Develin should have had that one.
Oh, I agree that Develin should have caught it.

But that in no way absolves Brady of throwing it. There was no need to throw such a risky pass -- and to throw it that badly -- in that game situation. And if you're going to say Develin should have caught it you should also say the first defender there should have pick-sixed it before it even got to Develin.

At times people here seem to be more obsessed with how any game or throw affects Bradys legacy than with the games that are unfolding in front of them.
Absolutely. It's very annoying and Goober-fan-like. NE fans should be better.

Oh, I agree that Develin should have caught it.

But that in no way absolves Brady of throwing it. There was no need to throw such a risky pass -- and to throw it that badly -- in that game situation. And if you're going to say Develin should have caught it you should also say the first defender there should have pick-sixed it before it even got to Develin.
You don’t need to be absolved from making a throw that should be caught for a first down. The defender was nowhere close to being able to pick off the ball, until devlin Bill Bucknered it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes