PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post Game Thread- Pats beat the Bears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do I have this feeling that a lot of the argument around the Devlin play is results-based? I may have missed it, but I don't recall this much argument over the insane Edelman catch in SB51 or the incompletion to Bennett just before the White winner that same game, both plays featuring dangerous throws by Brady. There's appears to be a passion involved here in calling out Tom that I suspect is due the turnover.

Or it's typical "I must win the internet argument no matter what" that goes on here. Anyway, carry on.

Regards,
Chris

Oh, I agree that Develin should have caught it.

But that in no way absolves Brady of throwing it. There was no need to throw such a risky pass -- and to throw it that badly -- in that game situation. And if you're going to say Develin should have caught it you should also say the first defender there should have pick-sixed it before it even got to Develin.
tenor.gif

"The defense is getting worse, when it should be getting better."

- Greg Bedard

Even if the Patriots shut out the Bills, they will still be on pace to give up the most points of the Belichick era. And that's not just because of the new rules.

- Greg Bedard (paraphrased)

Ehhhh...the Brady throw to Develin wasn't a bad decision - it was the right one. The pass floated and could have had a lot more on it, so it looked particularly bad. But the causation here is being confused, as in Brady didn't make a bad decision or throw a risky pass. I don't think it's fair to suggest the ball should have been intercepted prior to Develin catching it, as we'd sure have a large number of interceptions using that criteria. It's not like it bounced off a defender's hands.

This is turning into the Welker Super Bowl drop. On that play, it wasn't perfectly placed but should have been caught by an NFL receiver who is normally capable of adjusting to such a small margin of error (and it seemed Welker was late turning around considering how much open space he had). On this play, the ball had a little too much loft, but Develin is an NFL player and needs to make that catch, or at the very least there's no reason that would normally be on the spectrum of risky passes that are more likely to be intercepted.

Even if the Patriots shut out the Bills, they will still be on pace to give up the most points of the Belichick era. And that's not just because of the new rules.

All due respect to Bedard, but even before this hypothetical shutout against the Bills, the Pats are 20th out of 32 teams in points allowed per game. So if this is the most points allowed in the BB era, but there are 12 teams WORSE, how is it NOT about the new rules?

Defense needs to be better, but Bedard is off here IMO.

EDIT: I just re-thought this a bit, and I now disagree with myself. I'll leave it here for a bit of shame factor, but just know I acknowledge some flawed logic.

All due respect to Bedard, but even before this hypothetical shutout against the Bills, the Pats are 20th out of 32 teams in points allowed per game. So if this is the most points allowed in the BB era, but there are 12 teams WORSE, how is it NOT about the new rules?

Defense needs to be better, but Bedard is off here IMO.

EDIT: I just re-thought this a bit, and I now disagree with myself. I'll leave it here for a bit of shame factor, but just know I acknowledge some flawed logic.

Bedard talking out his ass again.. Not surprised. Gotta love when the press just automatically thinks that the Patriots are going to give up 25+ points to teams like the Jets, Bills and Dolphins in 5 of their last 9 games.. SMH..

Bedard talking out his ass again.. Not surprised. Gotta love when the press just automatically thinks that the Patriots are going to give up 25+ points to teams like the Jets, Bills and Dolphins in 5 of their last 9 games.. SMH..

They probably (hopefully) won't, which will inflate their PPG ranking. Kind of like how people around here pimped the defense for being fifth in points last year.

not exactly science but at least adds some context to the stats and confirms general D decline (for obvious reasons)

CHI still #1D after allowing 24 to NE O
NE #18

not exactly science but at least adds some context to the stats and confirms general D decline (for obvious reasons)

CHI still #1D after allowing 24 to NE O
NE #18

IIRC, the Patriots D was ranked 31 this time last season.

Well I think it’s safe to say that If Andy and I are not going out of our way to defend this D then it’s probably underperforming.

I don't mind the criticism of the defense but when it neglects to account for the offensive and ST miscues I find the criticisms overdone.

Bottom line:

Terrible decision to pass instead of run when Killing the Clock was Job #1. A toss sweep to Barner or a jet sweep to Patterson should've been the call. That's McD's fault, and Brady's too for not over-ruling it at the LOS.

Protection breakdown forced Brady to make a bad decision to throw a bad pass to a covered, off-balance former Defensive player-turned-Pro Bowl FB.

And we all lived happily ever after...The End.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents