Possible matchup with KC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's what would be ideal for us

Texans beat Colts
Chargers beat Ravens

Pats beat Texans
Chargers beat Chiefs

We host AFCCG and I think we can handle chargers MAINLY because we are at home and our defense plays well at home.

I get that playoffs are meant to be tough and most folks here would like to see Pats beat teams like ravens and chiefs to go to superbowl. Personally, I would like to them make it to SB. I don't care how they get there. Getting there is more important. Ravens are fearless when they play in foxboro. They've always caused us troubled in playoffs.

If they get to SB, it'll most likely be Saints/Bears/Rams. They can beat Rams and Bears but Saints will be the tought opponent in my opinion.

That's just an ideal scenario in my view. Now don't crucify me :D
I love this scenario! However if the Colts end up beating the Texans that would then give us the winner of the Chargers/Ratbirds game in the Divisional round! I definitely give the Colts more than a puncher's chance @ KC to pull off the upset! It would most definitely be a high scoring shootout between Mahomes and Luck!

I love this scenario! However if the Colts end up beating the Texans that would then give us the winner of the Chargers/Ratbirds game in the Divisional round! I definitely give the Colts more than a puncher's chance @ KC to pull off the upset! It would most definitely be a high scoring shootout between Mahomes and Luck!

I think Ravens have a better shot at beating the Chiefs at arrowhead than Colts. Colts haven't won many, if any, meaningful playoff games on the road in the past few years. Ravens on the other hand are used to playing playoff games at Gilette, Pittsburgh etc. Also Ravens seem to be peaking right now and with their #1 overall defense, they can limit KC's offense while Lamar Jackson and their running game can run all over the chiefs.

How do you feel about our chances in a potential rematch with KC? We haven’t won in arrowhead since 2004 I believe and haven’t won a road playoff game since 2006. Despite all of this, KC seems to choke in playoff games in recent years. There’s a good possibility of this matchup assuming we take care of business at home.

Arrowhead does not scare me at all. All these fans act like its dungeon of doom.

...and how many playoff games has Mahomes won and how many has Fat Andy mismanaged?

KC has a ton of talent but they are by no means a shoo-in.

Arrowhead does not scare me at all. All these fans act like its dungeon of doom.

...and how many playoff games has Mahomes won and how many has Fat Andy mismanaged?

KC has a ton of talent but they are by no means a shoo-in.

I completely agree with you! Nobody scares me this year. That doesn't mean that NE is going to beat whoever they play just because they're NE, we're going to have to play well to win because all of these teams are here for a reason. What I mean is, they're all beatable. With TB 12 and BB, you've always got a darn good chance. KC has an outstanding offense, but their defense is almost equally as bad the other way. If we get past the divisional round and end up playing them, we've got a darn good shot imo.

I completely agree with you! Nobody scares me this year. That doesn't mean that NE is going to beat whoever they play just because they're NE, we're going to have to play well to win because all of these teams are here for a reason. What I mean is, they're all beatable. With TB 12 and BB, you've always got a darn good chance. KC has an outstanding offense, but their defense is almost equally as bad the other way. If we get past the divisional round and end up playing them, we've got a darn good shot imo.
We have a great shot. Quite frankly I think if the Pats get out of the AFC they are winning they whole freaking thing.

the Past is not relevant, just like the Pats winning road AFCCG games in 01 and 04 are note relevant.

The past is the only measuring stick for playoff success (it is hard to predict performance in the playoffs when you refuse to look at the past, since nothing you have watched this season was the playoffs). The head coach is the same one that lost the last two games at Arrowhead, and enjoys a 1-4 record with the Chiefs in the playoffs.

If you want present story, the Chiefs were 5-0 and the Pats beat them. Down the stretch, they were 3-3, and one of those wins should have been a loss at home if the Ravens picked up a fumble at Arrowhead. The only dominating win in those last 6 games was the Raiders yesterday. How is that for present fear factor, or is this season too much history and irrelevant as well? We could just ignore the season and stop worrying about any team as none has compiled playoff statistics so they are just teams on the schedule.

The Pats have not lost to any playoff team, and have beaten the Texans, Colts, Chiefs, and Bears. I will acknowledge this year's Pats team has warts, but no team is unbeatable - at any location.

As stated, Chiefs should not have survived the Ravens last round so I am not banking on running into them just yet. For those who say the Pats aren't as good as X, I say point to the team that is on the steady course to greatness. 7-4 and 3-3 - not exactly awe inspiring and that is the recent trend for the 1 seed.

Playing Mahomes in Arrowhead is by far the most concerning part of the Chiefs game. However, if we weren't going by any type of home field and assumed all teams were on a neutral field, I'd rank the Patriots toughest opponents in this order:

1. Baltimore
2. San Diego
3. Kansas City
4. Houston
5. Indianapolis

If the Chiefs win the Super Bowl, Mahomes rightfully deserves to be called the best quarterback in football (presently obviously) and this perhaps the greatest season ever by a QB. That defense is a total dumpster fire. He has good weapons, but much of it is his other worldly passing skills that maximizes everyone's talent. Arrowhead and Mahomes are the reason to fear the Chiefs; there are many reasons to be concerned about some other teams. I'd be really surprised if KC emerges from the AFC; if Houston beats Indy, KC would need to face either San Diego or Baltimore first. Both of those games are going to be really tough match-ups for the Chiefs. I could see the Ravens not just winning at Arrowhead but winning by a large margin.

Right. But KC never had an MVP-caliber quarterback those years. We’ll see what happens.

If you believe the Pats cannot match them (and I am not suggesting you are one of those viewing KC as predestined for Super Bowl glory) after beating them once (at home, I agree), then explain how the team with the MVP caliber quarterback went 7-4 since the 5-0 start and 3-3 in the last 6 games of the season.

The Pats went 8-3 and 4-2 down the stretch over that same period (and pretty much every loss was painful to watch). I like Mahomes as a QB, but he has yet to play a playoff game and has lost games that mattered against playoff caliber opponents to close out the season (not saying he played horribly, but for a team without a defense he needs to be near flawless if the other team can score). Any prediction on what he will or will not do is just speculation until he does it.

If you believe the Pats cannot match them (and I am not suggesting you are one of those viewing KC as predestined for Super Bowl glory) after beating them once (at home, I agree), then explain how the team with the MVP caliber quarterback went 7-4 since the 5-0 start and 3-3 in the last 6 games of the season.

The Pats went 8-3 and 4-2 down the stretch over that same period (and pretty much every loss was painful to watch). I like Mahomes as a QB, but he has yet to play a playoff game and has lost games that mattered against playoff caliber opponents to close out the season (not saying he played horribly, but for a team without a defense he needs to be near flawless if the other team can score). Any prediction on what he will or will not do is just speculation until he does it.

Very interesting how KC only lost to playoff teams while New England only lost to non-playoff teams. Not sure what this means for the future, if anything

I’m certain that KC and NE will both have their hands full in the divisional. Hopefully they can meet in the AFCCG. It’s shocking that NE has played in that game every year since 2011 and the KC franchise has been there ONCE since 1970.

It feels more like the “New England Invitational.”

No doubt it will be tough to beat them in Arrowhead but KC hasn’t managed to win many playoff games in recent memory and, even this year, lost some prime time matchups. It wouldn’t be surprising if they choke their first matchup and fail to even make it to the AFCCG.

There is zero chance the Pats will play the colts in the AFC divisional.
Exactly correct.

Remember, the #1 seed plays the lowest remaining seed and the #2 seed plays the other remaining seed.

If #3 beats #6, that means the winner of #4 vs. #5 will be the lowest remaining seed. So #1 plays #4/#5 and #2 plays #3.

If #6 beats #3, that means #6 is the lowest remaining seed, so #1 plays #6 and #2 plays #4/#5.

In the divisional round it is impossible for #1 to play #3 and impossible for #2 to play #6.

In other words, we (IMHO) really really want HOU to beat IND.

This thread reminds me of the Steelers last year looking to their Patriots match up before they played the Jaguars.
It would totally remind me of that if the people in the thread were NE players.

We have a great shot. Quite frankly I think if the Pats get out of the AFC they are winning they whole freaking thing.

Nobody in the AFC scares me. KC is way overrated. Horrible D. I think LAC are a tougher matchup.
NO is the only really tough matchup in the playoffs. But they have flaws too. Just fewer than everyone else.
I think it's a NE/NO SB and anything can happen.

The chargers could not beat the ravens at home so I’m not sure how they’re going to do it in baltimore....

The only thing that should scare the pats is staring at them in the mirror

should be at Gillette and mia game probably will cost them another trip to the SB...all I got to say about that

Chiefs haven’t won a home playoff game since 1993. Joe Montana was their QB.
They are 1-10 in their last 11 playoff games

Under Reid they are 35-16 at home and 31-19 on the road.
I’m not understanding the idea that Arrowhead is a great HFA.
Meaningless IMO..Mahomes is the real deal and their offense is scary good

I can't recall a more even field than this year's AFC teams, and I think the chances are remote that we ever see KC. There are no safe picks, every game will be a tossup. Indy's red hot but the Texans & Watson are formidable, and they're division rivals so anything can happen. Chargers-Ravens is a great matchup, LA's balanced and motivated, but the Ravens are worrying everyone. KC will get upset by Balt, LA, or Indy in the division round, and we have no gimme's either. Not like other years, no clear path to the AFCC game for anyone,

I won’t lie, I don’t love our chances if it comes to a matchup at Arrowhead. We lost 5(!!!) road games this season, against (much) worse teams than the Chiefs. Say about them what you want, but they’re really explosive. They torched our defense at Gillette, so what makes you confident that they won’t do the same - and worse - in their own stadium?

I do think though that we can beat anybody at home. No one wants to go to Gillette, that still holds true. But I unfortunately don’t trust our Pats on the road. Hoping they prove me wrong of course, but I wouldn’t expect much going into Arrowhead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST