PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Poor drafting now biting the Patriots in the butt?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually like the Michel pick, I thought he could be in the David Johnson mold. Not saying he’d be as good as David Johnson, but thought he could play on every down, catch some passes, and really keep the offense flexible. Instead, in his limited chances at catching or running routes he’s been mediocre, so they trot him out there to only run. I DO think he’s been a victim of some awful line play, but I can understand the criticism on the pick for a two down back.
I didn't mind the Michel pick but am against WR/RB that early. Coming out it was hard to argue their was a better fit but again you can find them anywhere. Charger fans were cringing at the thought of Gordon coming back & messing up that chemistry.

It’s about weighing the draft as a whole. Keep putting words in my mouth though.

Brissett turning into Dorsett is a better draft pick than a Derek Rivers. There are degrees to a pick being a home run to a bust.
In the same way a D is better than an F.

If nothing else, getting so little out of Michel and Harry is killing us right now, yeah.

When you invest that kind of draft capital in skill position guys, and your skill positions ave as little depth as ours currently do, they absolutely have to perform.
Back to back first round picks played 11 snaps last night. Combine that with our second and third rounders as healthy scratches the only rookie contribution this year will be from Winovich.

Baltimore May have missed with their first pick, but their second pick they drafted the NFL MVP.

give it time......Mahomes already can't run like he used to......once Jackson gets a bum wheel, it will be like watching Kevin O'connell

give it time......Mahomes already can't run like he used to......once Jackson gets a bum wheel, it will be like watching Kevin O'connell
Yeah wait till he gets injured!!! Stupid Ravens!

Didn’t say that. He wasn’t a zero however. Just as Mitchell wasn’t either. The standards evaluating the 2014-2016 drafts are high IMO. The team would take them over the recent ones

The 2014 draft is a one player draft (White). The 2015 draft is a two player draft, one of whom is gone (Flowers, Mason), and a special teams guy. The 2016 draft is a 3 player draft, with 2 of those players being backup-level only (Thuney, Roberts, Karras). Even if you add JAG to the list, despite his being shipped out before his rookie deal was complete, and toss in Fleming as another backup-level player, that's still an inadequate stretch of drafting.

Quick!

Name all the BB era Patriots WR draft picks who busted in New England, but then went on to great careers elsewhere.

Yep, that's a great point. I mentioned it's definitely possible it's just bad scouting (drafting). It's crazy to think they are so consistently poor at drafting wr's, but the facts definitely support it. I wonder what it is they look for in their wr's that cause them to miss routinely?

The 2014 draft is a one player draft (White). The 2015 draft is a two player draft, one of whom is gone (Flowers, Mason), and a special teams guy. The 2016 draft is a 3 player draft, with 2 of those players being backup-level only (Thuney, Roberts, Karras). Even if you add JAG to the list, despite his being shipped out before his rookie deal was complete, and toss in Fleming as another backup-level player, that's still an inadequate stretch of drafting.

We probably agree more than we disagree. The UDFAs aren’t counted by some & I get it but it’s still the scouting department doing the work (JC Jackson is an exception as you’ve stated previously). Also not sure Flowers gone is relevant as he wasn’t worth $18 million a year. That pick was a homerun. Stork’s SB49 did happen as did Mitchell’s SB51. They should count as something IMO

In the same way a D is better than an F.

When a third round only has a handful of As & Bs than that can be relevant while weighing a draft class.

Last edited:
When a third round only has a handful of As & Bs than yeah that can be relevant while weighing a draft class.
I’m not looking for studs in every round but in the third I’m looking for a depth guy to role player/starter by the end of their first contract.

Yep, that's a great point. I mentioned it's definitely possible it's just bad scouting (drafting). It's crazy to think they are so consistently poor at drafting wr's, but the facts definitely support it. I wonder what it is they look for in their wr's that cause them to miss routinely?

I wish we could figure it out. BB's reported comments during the Julio Jones draft situation would have been a great place to start, if we'd ever gotten subsequent insider-type information to piece together with it.

Lots of opinion on Sony Michel ...
But one piece of evidence seems to be left out by his detractors.
He had a predominant role in securing a Super Bowl victory.
A pick in any sport that has a large imprint on a championship is not a bust.

That line of thinking is inane at best.
Just because he have won 6 ... does not diminish the value of the most recent.

RG3, Cam Newton......how many did they win?

let him win something first
Russell Wilson, Steve Young, Frank Tarkenton? Cam Newton was also an NFL MVP and led his team to a Super Bowl.

We probably agree more than we disagree. The UDFAs aren’t counted by some & I get it but it’s still the scouting department doing the work (JC Jackson is an exception as you’ve stated previously). Also not sure Flowers gone is relevant as he wasn’t worth $18 million a year. That pick was a homerun. Stork’s SB49 did happen as did Mitchell’s SB51. They should count as something IMO

1. UDFAs aren't counted specifically because they aren't drafted.
  2. I credited Flowers, while noting that he's gone.
  3. Stork's a pure bust.
  4. Mitchell's an injury-related bust. It's a shame, because it looked as if he might have worked out long term. But, for purposes of analyzing a draft, how do we excuse injury busts when the injury issue was known at the time of the pick? After all, we celebrate the pick of Gronk, who was only available because of his injures. It's really trying have it both ways.

Michel's been a bust. to date. Give him a "Yeabbut" asterisk, if you need to find a way to reconcile his short stretch last year.

Anyone confident on the 2020 draft will get us out of this trend :eek:

Michel's been a bust. to date. Give him a "Yeabbut" asterisk, if you need to find a way to reconcile his short stretch last year.
Disagree ... if he had a big imprint on a Super Bowl victory for any team
that has never won or not won in years he would be a hero for them - context works pro and con.
A draft pick or FA signing in any sport that helps a championship is generally reflected as good.
Some Patriots fans treat Lombardi's as candy ... lots of it ... other franchises they are a treasure.

He’s a JAG. Last years O-line was a steam roller. White, Michel, and Patterson all averaged at least 4.5 ypc. He’s good when the line is opening huge holes but what running back isn’t?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back