PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Poll: IF disaster strikes, where do the Patriots end up?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Worst case scenario, where do the Patriots finish?

• 1-4 wins

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • 5-8 wins

Votes: 15 13.3%
  • 9+ wins, no playoffs

Votes: 23 20.4%
  • 9+ wins, early exit from playoffs

Votes: 37 32.7%
  • 9+ wins, legit contender in playoffs

Votes: 36 31.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
This team under BB won 11 games with Matt Cassel and I would argue an inferior defense to what they have now.

I don't see them falling off a cliff should disaster strike. With a lesser coach- probably. Not this coach.

I love this question!

I suspect this scenario and others like it are constantly being considered and game-planned by the Pats throughout the year.

TIME is precious in the NFL. Every additional week Jacoby gets under his belt hopefully makes him that much better. It certainly give the Pats more information on his progression. To date, I think they like him quite a bit!

In the past Bill Belichick has referenced how vital to success it is to have a good QB replacement. (Look how the Colts and Broncos were derailed the year they lost Manning.)

Perhaps they are in no hurry to trade Jimmy G between now and Draft Day, or even between now and training camp.

The Jimmy G "keep him or trade him" question is certainly intriguing. Neither action would shock me.

What counts is the delta. the difference between having Alladin vs Bisquick @ QB.
None of us have any serious inkling, but we do have opinions.
With JAG we go 11-5 with this team. I think he's a good, but game inexperienced NFL starter.
I'm assuming Hightower plays for us.
I'm assuming JAG is NOT made of glass and lasts 16 games.
With Bisquick, less experienced, we go 7-9 or 8-8 at best.
Neither brings us to the AFCG or SB
So, what's the point then? Trade JAG for what the market brings. *

* My assumption is that trading JAG gives us more than just one 2nd round pick
If the market for his services is that poor, keep him for insurance and a POSSIBLE 3rd pick in 2019

You guys are starting with the assumption that the Patriots are winning the superbowl with Brady or Jimmy G....That is not the correct assumption to make.

One of the X factors that's almost impossible to really weigh is the odds of either Garoppolo or Brissett improving as the season rolls on. As they are right now either one would be a huge questionmark, but players are not static things. If Brady stayed at the level he was when he first took over the team in 2001 he isn't winning any Superbowls. He improved monstrously as the season went on. Under this coach, I'd expect either Brissett or Garoppolo to develop significantly given a full season of playing time.

I think that's where a lot of us are seeing between 7-9 wins for Brissett -- not Brissett as he is now, that guy isn't winning anything but Brissett as he might grow to be when that poise and self confidence he put on display in Texas against a playoff level team is matched by improvements as a player and an offensive scheme built to play to his strengths.

The question is, could Belichick develop Brissett, and develop new offensive schemes tailored specifically around what Brissett can do, and make them good enough to allow Jacoby to struggle in the first few games but bring himself up to a Superbowl winning level by the end of the year? I think if anyone could do that it would be Belichick. I think there's no doubt about Brissett's work ethic. So I think it's actually possible, with a bit of luck.

One of the X factors that's almost impossible to really weigh is the odds of either Garoppolo or Brissett improving as the season rolls on. As they are right now either one would be a huge questionmark, but players are not static things. If Brady stayed at the level he was when he first took over the team in 2001 he isn't winning any Superbowls. He improved monstrously as the season went on. Under this coach, I'd expect either Brissett or Garoppolo to develop significantly given a full season of playing time.

I think that's where a lot of us are seeing between 7-9 wins for Brissett -- not Brissett as he is now, that guy isn't winning anything but Brissett as he might grow to be when that poise and self confidence he put on display in Texas against a playoff level team is matched by improvements as a player and an offensive scheme built to play to his strengths.

The question is, could Belichick develop Brissett, and develop new offensive schemes tailored specifically around what Brissett can do, and make them good enough to allow Jacoby to struggle in the first few games but bring himself up to a Superbowl winning level by the end of the year? I think if anyone could do that it would be Belichick. I think there's no doubt about Brissett's work ethic. So I think it's actually possible, with a bit of luck.

Agreed.

Brissett would not be good in Brady's system. In his own system he would be much better. Just like Cassel was atrocious in Brady's system until it was changed to suit his own game. Whether Brissett's system is good enough to win a title is not known but I have no doubt he would be better than we saw him in 2016.

We not only have the GOAT QB, we also have the GOAT head coach (in my opinion) and that's never a bad thing.

I think the timing wasn't there for Brissett in his games early this year. He barely had any time to practice with his receivers, a TC and some preseason games is more or less it. I think it takes longer than that to really develop rapport and chemistry between a quarterback and his receivers, especially if that quarterback plays a different style from the main guy.

Garoppolo might have had less trouble, but he'd had more than a year of practices with his receivers and I still think the timing and the ability of the receivers and quarterback to know what the others are thinking get better for Jimmy G if he has a full season to be the headline guy.

With Brissett he hadn't even had a chance to practice with these guys all that much -- and still went out there and won a couple football games. Personally I think he's got some sneaky potential and we haven't really had the chance to see yet.

Please kill me know

the ninnies will continue this until JG gets shipped off.......his presence represents a threat
Nice conspiracy theory bro.

It's a legit question, especially if we are going to wind up dealing Jimmy G for whatever reason. Personally I think if we do move Jimmy G on we're going to be winding up acquiring a professional backup for a year, just in case. I don't think Brissett is ready to be above the third string yet, at least not at the start of this season. We'll see what he looks like in practice.

Nice conspiracy theory bro.

It's a legit question, especially if we are going to wind up dealing Jimmy G for whatever reason. Personally I think if we do move Jimmy G on we're going to be winding up acquiring a professional backup for a year, just in case. I don't think Brissett is ready to be above the third string yet, at least not at the start of this season. We'll see what he looks like in practice.

Sure....and I have not said I would never trade him.....I'm just not into the idiotic 'sell low' mentality

To me there's no value in trading him unless you get either multiple 1st rounders or a 1st and even higher number of 2nds/3rds

The need to actually trade him (or lack of) makes it perfectly ok to keep him rather than taking on random unknowns in the form of draft picks and the difference between what u get now and next year is worth it to me....unless the ROI is insane

From what I've seen of Brissett, I'd say 9 or 10 wins. Maybe 11.

At that level, playoffs v. no playoffs depends on tiebreakers, but I think the Pats would get bounce pretty early.

I've seen more of JG, including live practice. I'd think legit contender in the playoffs, but I wouldn't go so far as to predict AFC Champs, though it seems possible.

Sure....and I have not said I would never trade him.....I'm just not into the idiotic 'sell low' mentality

To me there's no value in trading him unless you get either multiple 1st rounders or a 1st and even higher number of 2nds/3rds

The need to actually trade him (or lack of) makes it perfectly ok to keep him rather than taking on random unknowns in the form of draft picks and the difference between what u get now and next year is worth it to me....unless the ROI is insane

And the only problem with that mindset to me is that some otherwise intelligent people are using that to assume we will get that kind of haul for Garoppolo, which is absurd on the face of it.

Please kill me know
Absolutely not!
No one gets off that easy. You are stuck visiting this Board until Training Camp or you are Banned For Life. Take it or leave it. Ian's taking attendance and he's writing down names.
Real Fans respond to the Threads they have, not the Threads they want.

And the only problem with that mindset to me is that some otherwise intelligent people are using that to assume we will get that kind of haul for Garoppolo, which is absurd on the face of it.

then JG has more value to the pats than anyone else and will make sure that some other team out there will still suck

Absolutely not!
No one gets off that easy. You are stuck visiting this Board until Training Camp or you are Banned For Life. Take it or leave it. Ian's taking attendance and he's writing down names.
Real Fans respond to the Threads they have, not the Threads they want.
So, how do I get banned for life?

...just, um, curious.

What if

1. JAG gets shipped out this offseason
  2. Brady gets injured week 1 and is lost for the season
  3. Jacoby is forced to start the full season
  4. A stiff of a veteran brought in as backup
  5. All players currently here, and all veteran additions, play within reason, better or worse, compared to last season
  6. No drafted player becomes a rookie stalwart
  7. Top drafted players become legit role players

Where do you think the Patriots would finish? Think carefully. 2018 draft position, after a "disaster" season, is on the line here!
19-0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick