PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Poll: IF disaster strikes, where do the Patriots end up?

THE HUB FOR PATRIOTS FANS SINCE 2000

MORE PINNED POSTS:
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

Worst case scenario, where do the Patriots finish?

• 1-4 wins

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • 5-8 wins

Votes: 15 13.3%
  • 9+ wins, no playoffs

Votes: 23 20.4%
  • 9+ wins, early exit from playoffs

Votes: 37 32.7%
  • 9+ wins, legit contender in playoffs

Votes: 36 31.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
10-6, win AFC East and #4 seed, eek out a win in the wild card game, lose in the division round.

I would expect Brissett to start out as a reasonable don't-lose-it style QB like he was against Houston, and develop into a low-tier starting QB. That's enough to win a division that should have two solid teams and a stinker, but no great team, but it's not a serious Super Bowl contender.

Wow Deus, slow Sunday? Can I suggest a couple of hobbies? :)

I do like this poll pushing us to be transparent about our beliefs about Jacoby.

What if
  1. JAG gets shipped out this offseason
  2. Brady gets injured week 1 and is lost for the season
  3. Jacoby is forced to start the full season
  4. A stiff of a veteran brought in as backup
  5. All players currently here, and all veteran additions, play within reason, better or worse, compared to last season
  6. No drafted player becomes a rookie stalwart
  7. Top drafted players become legit role players
Where do you think the Patriots would finish? Think carefully. 2018 draft position, after a "disaster" season, is on the line here!

I would say with Jacoby starting at QB 3-5 wins. I choose 4 wins then.

Every one of the seemingly 9 million JAG threads has people screaming "What if Brady gets hurt?!", generally as some blanket insistence that JAG be kept. I'm letting people actually answer the question, as best they can. It's pretty illuminating, if you take a look at the responses:

• As of now (35 votes), not one person has said that the team would win 4 or fewer games.
  • As of now, 22 of 35 voters (63%) have said that the team would still make the playoffs.
  • As of now, 7 of 35 voters (20%) have said that the team would still be a legit contender in the playoffs.

I came late to the party I think they win 4 games if Jacoby is the starter. With your criteria.

However if the Pats kept JG I still think they make it to the playoffs 10-12 wins.. so without really knowing jack **** I say JG wins 11 games.

But without JG or Brady we are screwed 4 wins sounds about right.

10-6, win AFC East and #4 seed, eek out a win in the wild card game, lose in the division round.

I would expect Brissett to start out as a reasonable don't-lose-it style QB like he was against Houston, and develop into a low-tier starting QB. That's enough to win a division that should have two solid teams and a stinker, but no great team, but it's not a serious Super Bowl contender.

I would be shocked if Brisset won 8 games.

Lol why did the op get dislikes? Its just a question...

Wed miss the playoffs unless miami regreses considerably ( not out of the question). And im a brissett fan, just not this year.

Wed miss the playoffs unless miami regreses considerably ( not out of the question). And im a brissett fan, just not this year.

Emotionally fragile place here, regardless of the degree of success. Kind of like asking your family to vote in a poll about what Mom would do to satisfy her needs if Dad died. Logical, and would be an important question under those circumstances, but still...

Although I'm one that appreciates the ripples in pond, so I don't complain.

And a historically good defense. I really like ours but it falls short of that, at least for now.

Agreed re Cassel. In this scenario don't think JB would be in there for long if he was awful. And we are talking about the best coach that ever was. In fact put BB on the 2011 Curtis Painter Colts and I really believe they approach .500 instead of that hot dumpster fire they were. Plus the AFC stinks.

BB is great but not a magician. he had losing seasons at the Browns and Pats when the talent just wasn't there.

He played well for having no expectations but he was a quite a few notches below "outstanding".

Dream on son. You can't change history. Polo threw for over 5000 yards in college; started all four years and always completed over 60% of his throws. He three for over 70% completions in 2016, and had almost 300 yards passing in both games. He was in total control in both games.

Both points are speculation and a little wishful thinking mixed in there. If this team improves by trading JG (and if the price is right that will be the case) you make the deal every time.

You need quality depth at QB above all other places.

I'll be back to answer after seeing the Biscuit in some more preseason action this year. Unless I forget.

What if

1. JAG gets shipped out this offseason
  2. Brady gets injured week 1 and is lost for the season
  3. Jacoby is forced to start the full season
  4. A stiff of a veteran brought in as backup
  5. All players currently here, and all veteran additions, play within reason, better or worse, compared to last season
  6. No drafted player becomes a rookie stalwart
  7. Top drafted players become legit role players

Where do you think the Patriots would finish? Think carefully. 2018 draft position, after a "disaster" season, is on the line here!

High first-round draft picks are vastly overrated. They offer an opportuntity to pay a lot of dough for a prospect far more likely to disappoint than to exceed our wildest dreams (and they WILL be wild). The difference between the trade value of, say, the 12th pick and the 32nd pick with regard to trading down is MUCH more hostage to the ideosyncratic exigencies of a particular off season than it is the fruit of any "actual value" of the pick, ascertainable in advance.

The Pats obviously will not do as well as we might now hope under the scenario you lay out, but there is virtually NO chance they will play poorly enough to make a predictably important difference in draft value, in actual practice.

I don't even think he's going to end up being a regular/consistent NFL starter anywhere

I don't know where you got your opinion. Or is it your hope?

JB seems a fine young fellow. That and a perfect throw might get you a touchdown.

We have, at this point, virtually NO idea whether he is actually any good or not.

So, I agree with you, if I read you right.

If a meteor crashes in New England, I'd be okay with 9 victories
Heh. I guess whether you'd be "okay" has something to do with the size of the meteor and where it lands. I agree, though, that it would have to be a biga$$ meteor, well-aimed by a purely evil providence, to keep our Pats out of the playoffs, Jets being Jets and all, Bills being Bills, etc..

DI is the alpha male; he is Daddy. So the whole thing is Oedipal. They're after Mom.

The difference between "9+ wins, no playoffs and "9+, wins early exit from playoffs" requires additional predictions about how the Dolphins do and whether 9 wins would be enough to snag a WC if they don't win the Division, which, honestly, I just haven't thought about.

So, I'm going with "9+ wins, early exit" and answering the two underlying questions: what happens to the season and would they be competitive in the Playoffs under the scenario presented, without any real idea about whether they do or do not make the playoffs.

PS: also, another way of asking the question, "What happens if they get rid of Garoppolo, go with Brissett as backup and Brady gets hurt," without re-opening the discussion of whether they will/should keep JG and assuming that any available, "veteran QB," other than Romo (who doesn't want to backup anybody), is "a stiff" (with apologies to any Cutler fans out there).

Dream on son. You can't change history. Polo threw for over 5000 yards in college; started all four years and always completed over 60% of his throws.

Laughably irrelevant. Why should I give two craps about that? What does that have to do with Garoppolo in the NFL, this topic or my post?

He three for over 70% completions in 2016, and had almost 300 yards passing in both games. He was in total control in both games.

No he didnt. Stop making things up "son". He was good especially for having no expectations but several notches below "outstanding". Just like I said. You might not like facts but they are still facts.

You need quality depth at QB above all other places.

Quality depth could be as simple as a veteran backup. Not keeping a guy that you could sell high and get you a bunch of high draft picks that will help make the team better now and in the future.

JB seems a fine young fellow. That and a perfect throw might get you a touchdown.

We have, at this point, virtually NO idea whether he is actually any good or not.

So, I agree with you, if I read you right.

Thats right, no we don't...and the same is true for JG.

High first-round draft picks are vastly overrated. They offer an opportuntity to pay a lot of dough for a prospect far more likely to disappoint than to exceed our wildest dreams (and they WILL be wild). The difference between the trade value of, say, the 12th pick and the 32nd pick with regard to trading down is MUCH more hostage to the ideosyncratic exigencies of a particular off season than it is the fruit of any "actual value" of the pick, ascertainable in advance.

The Pats obviously will not do as well as we might now hope under the scenario you lay out, but there is virtually NO chance they will play poorly enough to make a predictably important difference in draft value, in actual practice.

High picks mean you get the best player at a key position for your team and your system lessening the chance of other teams taking them from you.

Every one of the seemingly 9 million JAG threads has people screaming "What if Brady gets hurt?!", generally as some blanket insistence that JAG be kept. I'm letting people actually answer the question, as best they can. It's pretty illuminating, if you take a look at the responses:

• As of now (35 votes), not one person has said that the team would win 4 or fewer games.
  • As of now, 22 of 35 voters (63%) have said that the team would still make the playoffs.
  • As of now, 7 of 35 voters (20%) have said that the team would still be a legit contender in the playoffs.
Pls see my post #56 a few posts above, which I wrote before I saw this. The only flaw in your question is that it requires predicting what the Dolphins will do and/or whether 9 wins would snag a WC.
I think the D and the raw talent on Offense are enough to win nine games, possibly, but not necessarily, one more (no 9--7 option), but I have no idea whether that's enough to make the playoffs, etc. I don't think they'd be competitive once they got there. That's my answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes