PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Playoff Scenarios

I don't agree. I think every team goes into the season with the hopes of making the playoffs and winning the SB. For me, I'd rather lose in the playoffs than not get in. I keep saying "you have to be in it to win it". You never know, maybe a turnover here or there, a key injury etc can change a game.
Meh, every team goes into the season hoping to make the playoffs but nobody goes into the season wanting to make the playoffs just to get blown out the first game which is what craw said. I'd rather miss the playoffs than get blown out by buffalo again in the wildcard. Which again, was the point he was making I'm pretty sure.

Meh, every team goes into the season hoping to make the playoffs but nobody goes into the season wanting to make the playoffs just to get blown out the first game which is what craw said. I'd rather miss the playoffs than get blown out by buffalo again in the wildcard. Which again, was the point he was making I'm pretty sure.
Honestly, worse than getting blown out by BUF would be to get blown out by KC. Can't stand those damn tomahawk chops. Loved it when they were silenced in the 2018 AFCCG. But Ash is right, once you're in, anything can happen.

I don't agree. I think every team goes into the season with the hopes of making the playoffs and winning the SB. For me, I'd rather lose in the playoffs than not get in. I keep saying "you have to be in it to win it". You never know, maybe a turnover here or there, a key injury etc can change a game.
I want them to get in. We both agree on that. I just don't want to witness a repeat of last season's wild card. I don't think a 8-9 season and another wild card loss (meaning 8-10) does anything for the confidence heading into the offseason.

I want them to get in. We both agree on that. I just don't want to witness a repeat of last season's wild card. I don't think a 8-9 season and another wild card loss (meaning 8-10) does anything for the confidence heading into the offseason.
Who would be the team that you wouldn't want the Pats to face in the 1st round, if we make it? KC?

I think we match up better with Cincy. Buffalo even though it's a division rival, is tough to deal with because of Allen, so a gun to my head, I would prefer to play Cincy. Just curious if other people agree.

Who would be the team that you wouldn't want the Pats to face in the 1st round, if we make it? KC?

I think we match up better with Cincy. Buffalo even though it's a division rival, is tough to deal with because of Allen, so a gun to my head, I would prefer to play Cincy. Just curious if other people agree.
Yeah, none of those teams are ideal opponents. I honestly think KAN and BUF give us a close to 0% chance of winning. So I would have to say Cincinnati is "preferable." But I'm only giving the Patriots about a 20% chance in that one... I think that's fair, if they played 10 times, the Patriots could squeak out 2 wins.

Patriots defensively have consistently slowed down the Kansas City offense with Mahomes other than a game or 2. I'd rather face Kansas City

Patriots defensively have consistently slowed down the Kansas City offense with Mahomes other than a game or 2. I'd rather face Kansas City
This a different KC team than in the past. They're relying more on the run than before. They have a top 5 OL. Mahomes has the 3rd lowest sack rate (4.0%). Our pass rush would need to get to him to have a chance. Allen's sack rate is 5.5% (#9) and Burrow's is 6.5% (#15) plus they lost their starting RT. We already faced them recently, so to me no question CIN would be a better opponent. I still think they would win but we'd have a better chance.

Unfortunately, I think it'll be KC. The only good thing about facing KC is their defense can be had but with our anemic offense not sure it matters much.

20221227_131222.jpg

Assume we beat Mia and lose to Buf. LV plays SF and KC, so they’ll lose at least one of those. Pitt is at Baltimore this weekend, which should be a loss (then they finish with Cle at home). I don’t see the Jets winning at Sea, but that’s more questionable than the other assumptions above.

Given all that, our playoff hopes would boil down to whether the Jets can win at Miami.
Jets would screw us over and get wrecked like they did in 2002 and 2008.

Interesting thought on KC, who would you not want to face Buffalo?

You never know.

Sometimes the #2 teams get upset by teams they blew out. You never know what'll happen. Like the Jets and Patriots in 2010

You never know.

Sometimes the #2 teams get upset by teams they blew out. You never know what'll happen. Like the Jets and Patriots in 2010

Yeah, true.... But the jets were actually pretty good that year. These patriots.......Well, yeah. I think the chiefs or bills would have to choke like they've never choked before to lose to this team. I'm talking turnovers and busted coverages galore.. And the thing is, I think that could happen and they could still win. We'll see tho.

Yeah, true.... But the jets were actually pretty good that year. These patriots.......Well, yeah. I think the chiefs or bills would have to choke like they've never choked before to lose to this team. I'm talking turnovers and busted coverages galore.. And the thing is, I think that could happen and they could still win. We'll see tho.
Well, the Jets lost to the Patriots 45-3, which is worse than any loss the Bills have recently delivered to the Patriots.

The Giants lost to Green Bay 35-13 in '07 and beat them 23-20. It happens.

In fact, it's shocking how many 6 seeds have won that first game, how many teams with byes have gone down in their first games. Tennessee upset New England in 2019 and should have gone to the SB if not for their QB

Last edited:
321990190_213546961131539_7043375907560594078_n.jpg

Assume we beat Mia and lose to Buf. LV plays SF and KC, so they’ll lose at least one of those. Pitt is at Baltimore this weekend, which should be a loss (then they finish with Cle at home). I don’t see the Jets winning at Sea, but that’s more questionable than the other assumptions above.

Given all that, our playoff hopes would boil down to whether the Jets can win at Miami.
if jets win in seattle then a win in miami and a pats loss puts the jets in the playoffs ? i see that as a possiblity because jets winning in seattle is more possible than pats beating a full strength bills team...IF we get past the dolphins

if jets win in seattle then a win in miami and a pats loss puts the jets in the playoffs ? i see that as a possiblity because jets winning in seattle is more possible than pats beating a full strength bills team...IF we get past the dolphins
There’s other variables but if the Jets win out and we split, they end up with the better record.

List of the contenders and the pretenders. Amazing how much JAX has improved. Not good to be amongst the teams with 0 wins.

People who seriously value moving up 4-7 picks in the draft (especially for a team that typically moves back and in a league whose draft has produced All-Pro players in every single round) over a playoff berth absolutely baffle me.

People who seriously value moving up 4-7 picks in the draft (especially for a team that typically moves back and in a league whose draft has produced All-Pro players in every single round) over a playoff berth absolutely baffle me.
Every person will look at this differently. I'm not sure there's a right or wrong answer. I found it interesting to listen to Jason McCourty who spent 3 seasons inside the building, and paraphrasing he said: Just lose. Being in that building, the goal is to win a SB. Nobody in that building is trying to sneak into the playoffs to be one and done. This isn't a SB team.

Playoff experience, even a bad loss, is better than not having it ... I think. I agree that we most likely go out in the first round, if we get in. BUT, it's not inconceivable that we win a game or two. I think of the 2007 Giants at 9-7 killing our perfect season. Get hot at the right time. We showed we can hang with Cinci. We seem to do better than most with KC. and we did beat buffalo last year (albeit the circumstances). I still think Bill can come up with a game plan now and then that is amazing.

Every person will look at this differently. I'm not sure there's a right or wrong answer. I found it interesting to listen to Jason McCourty who spent 3 seasons inside the building, and paraphrasing he said: Just lose. Being in that building, the goal is to win a SB. Nobody in that building is trying to sneak into the playoffs to be one and done. This isn't a SB team.

He thinks finishing 7-10 and missing the playoffs is better than finishing 9-8 and making the playoffs as an underdog.

What a (literal) loser mentality.

I guess the Pats wasted 13 of their 19 Brady era seasons where they didn't win the Super Bowl, should have just got the higher draft pick.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back