PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Playoff Scenarios

Not every game is a high scoring Qb duel though. If the game turns into a QB duel then the Pats have no chance. If the Pats can muck the game up and make it a defensive rock fight they absolutely have a chance.

These Dolphins aren’t exactly world beaters otherwise they wouldn’t be only a game ahead of the Pats and sitting on a 4 game losing streak.
True, however we are depleted at CB, Waddle, hill and gaseki are match up nightmares. We just cannot garner enough offense, we put so much pressure on the D.. it's almost like the defense is on the field more the offenses TOP.. Miami has shown they can be run on however.. it's going to be up to the offense line to create lanes for the backs.. difference is Last few games it's been Tua reverting back into Tua that's cost then games..

He always seems to play well against us.. that trend expects to continue

Please explain. So I can poke a 1000 holes in it.
It’s obviously not likely but it’s not completely unreasonable.

Pats, Jets, Chargers and Dolphins all finish 8-9 then Pats and Jets get the last two spots. If Pats, Jets and Dolphins all finish 8-9 Pats are the 7th seed.

Basically if Pats beat the Dolphins then the Jets beat the Dolphins the week after Pats are in even with a loss to the Bills.

If the Dolphins lose to the Pats and Mike White is ready for week 17 that scenario doesn’t seem unreasonable to me.

Here is espn playoff scenario generator for you to double check my info ESPN.com's 2022 NFL Playoff Machine - Simulate Matchups and Scenarios

True, however we are depleted at CB, Waddle, hill and gaseki are match up nightmares. We just cannot garner enough offense, we put so much pressure on the D.. it's almost like the defense is on the field more the offenses TOP.. Miami has shown they can be run on however.. it's going to be up to the offense line to create lanes for the backs.. difference is Last few games it's been Tua reverting back into Tua that's cost then games..

He always seems to play well against us.. that trend expects to continue
hopefully Mills and Jack Jones are healthy enough to play because you are right they will be needed. Pats would absolutely need to force Tua into some mistakes to win.

So our path to Glendale is this:

MIA, @BUF, @BUF, @KC, and likely one of @CIN/@JAX/@BAL/@LAC….

Then probably one of Eagles/Niners for all of the marbles!!!

LFG!!! That would be goddamn epic….and no one would be allowed to b!tch about Patricia anymore!!!

hopefully Mills and Jack Jones are healthy enough to play because you are right they will be needed. Pats would absolutely need to force Tua into some mistakes to win.
Yes, those guys would be a huge boost, it has been Jon Jones and all purpose Marcus Jones, this guy has changed the game, you'll start to see teams covert players like Marcus jones.. with our pressure we put on QBs I see us forcing him into some errant throws

Pats, Jets, Chargers and Dolphins all finish 8-9 then Pats and Jets get the last two spots. If Pats, Jets and Dolphins all finish 8-9 Pats are the 7th seed.

Basically if Pats beat the Dolphins then the Jets beat the Dolphins the week after Pats are in even with a loss to the Bills.

If the Dolphins lose to the Pats and Mike White is ready for week 17 that scenario doesn’t seem unreasonable to me.

Here is espn playoff scenario generator for you to double check my info ESPN.com's 2022 NFL Playoff Machine - Simulate Matchups and Scenarios

It’s possible but theres a few others that need to happen. Steelers and raiders have to lose another game. Titans have to lose both (think i saw a scenario where they got in over us somehow at 8-9). Jets have to lose to seattle so they dont finish 9/8. I might be missing more. Nothing too crazy but its just a lot of things needing to happen.

EDIT: Titans would only need to lose to the jags. I think all these outcomes are quite likely except the jets beating miami, which is still very possible. But everything going according to plan overall would have a low probability

Last edited:
So our path to Glendale is this:

MIA, @BUF, @BUF, @KC, and likely one of @CIN/@JAX/@BAL/@LAC….

Then probably one of Eagles/Niners for all of the marbles!!!

LFG!!! That would be goddamn epic….and no one would be allowed to b!tch about Patricia anymore!!!
Very true, lol, but I have a feeling they'd still find a way to complain.

Our fans and media talk about how rough the season has been, as if we've absolutely been going through it, yet the team controls their own destiny for the postseason and have a 7-8 record. Looking around the league, 7-8 is pretty middle-of-the-road. The vast majority of teams are +/- 1-2 games around .500.

It's almost like we're a bit spoiled and things aren't as bad as many would have you think they are.

Not to say the offensive coaching is good enough, but a 7-8 season isn't a dark-age.
7-8 isn't terrible for a team with fewer coaches than any team in the NFL, no coordinators and no OL coach.

I at the very least hope that week 18 matters.

Only 2 times during the Belichick era (2000, 2020) have the Patriots been eliminated before the final week of the regular season.

Any scenario that includes the Chargers losing three straight to IND, LAR and DEN we can laugh right off the table.

I'm discounting any scenario that requires the Patriots beating a motivated Bills team.

I'll consider anything else but I think most other scenarios are remote at best.

Very true, lol, but I have a feeling they'd still find a way to complain.
Oh no ash... Plenty to ***** about MP.. do u see any recievers in motion? Any creative play calling? Any spacing with the routes? It's like Patricia thinks he's calling defense still.. lol.. it's nice to think we have a path.. do you feel confident that we can actually make it?

Oh no ash... Plenty to ***** about MP.. do u see any recievers in motion? Any creative play calling? Any spacing with the routes? It's like Patricia thinks he's calling defense still.. lol.. it's nice to think we have a path.. do you feel confident that we can actually make it?
lol, definitely plenty to complain about offensively, bad O-line, bad play calling, bad qb play, no separation, too many fumbles, too many drops, you name it. The thing though is even with all these issues, we should have won quite a few more games, bad calls by refs and untimely turnovers etc. Our team doesn't quit or give up, we are supremely well prepared and make changes in game when necessary defensively as evidenced against the bengals. We're bound to eventually get one call or two going forward and have the ball bounce our way!!!!! Fingers crossed RF 02!!!!!!

Any scenario that includes the Chargers losing three straight to IND, LAR and DEN we can laugh right off the table.

I'm discounting any scenario that requires the Patriots beating a motivated Bills team.

I'll consider anything else but I think most other scenarios are remote at best.
I agree, although I think they are horribly coached, no way I can see them losing 3 straight to that schedule.

lol, definitely plenty to complain about offensively, bad O-line, bad play calling, bad qb play, no separation, too many fumbles, too many drops, you name it. The thing though is even with all these issues, we should have won quite a few more games, bad calls by refs and untimely turnovers etc. Our team doesn't quit or give up, we are supremely well prepared and make changes in game when necessary defensively as evidenced against the bengals. We're bound to eventually get one call or two going forward and have the ball bounce our way!!!!! Fingers crossed RF 02!!!!!!
The team does fight!! they are in every single game save the Buffalo game. That game was over after the first snap.. it's just mind blowing that all of our losses are do to self inflicting mistakes. That is in the DNA of bad undisciplined teams.

The team isn't a dumb team however they've made dumb mistakes. We have a practice squad offense, with a Non -ALL PRO championship caliber D..

The next 2 weeks probably the toughest they've faced all season. I'm not expecting anything on offense, so hope the D can get subbed in and out to stay fresh, along with some good punting and Big kick Nick!

Would you sign Brady in 2023 if he wants to come back? and let BB focus on coaching defense and special teams. I think they are both in a phase where they need each other.

I would, but I don't think brady wants to come back and even more so I don't think belichick wants him back. I'd be shocked if it happened.

It blows my mind to realize that if the Patriots beat the Dolphins but lose to the Bills, and if the Jets beat Seattle and then the Dolphins, the Jets get the final playoff spot.

I can easily see both scenarios happening.

Chargers clinched a spot in the playoffs. Only remaining seeds are #4 (JAX-TEN) and #7. Chargers could get as high as #5 but probably no lower than #6 given their schedule (LAR/DEN).

MIA w/o Tua are in trouble and could go 1-1 to end at 9-8. Pats could also go 1-1 and end at 8-9. Jets could beat SEA and lose to MIA to end at 8-9 or beat MIA and end at 9-8.

Everything revolves around MIA since they control their own destiny.

This is how I see the final standings: Bills, KC, JAX, LAC all win out. CIN & BAL go 1-1. Pats go 1-1. Then MIA goes 1-1 and are in.

Screenshot_20221227_025218_Firefox.jpg
KC proceeds to demolish MIA & Tyreek (could've been us). Bengals throttle the Ravens. JAX puts up a fight but falls short to Chargers. Bills roll over Chargers. Bengals beat Mahomes, again. Buffalo beats Bengals for 2nd time in 5 weeks and go face the Eagles in the SB where they finally win one and their fans become even more unbearable.

It blows my mind to realize that if the Patriots beat the Dolphins but lose to the Bills, and if the Jets beat Seattle and then the Dolphins, the Jets get the final playoff spot.

I can easily see both scenarios happening.
Better win out then ;)

Chargers clinched a spot in the playoffs. Only remaining seeds are #4 (JAX-TEN) and #7. Chargers could get as high as #5 but probably no lower than #6 given their schedule (LAR/DEN).

MIA w/o Tua are in trouble and could go 1-1 to end at 9-8. Pats could also go 1-1 and end at 8-9. Jets could beat SEA and lose to MIA to end at 8-9 or beat MIA and end at 9-8.

Everything revolves around MIA since they control their own destiny.

This is how I see the final standings: Bills, KC, JAX, LAC all win out. CIN & BAL go 1-1. Pats go 1-1. Then MIA goes 1-1 and are in.

View attachment 48567
KC proceeds to demolish MIA & Tyreek (could've been us). Bengals throttle the Ravens. JAX puts up a fight but falls short to Chargers. Bills roll over Chargers. Bengals beat Mahomes, again. Buffalo beats Bengals for 2nd time in 5 weeks and go face the Eagles in the SB where they finally win one and their fans become even more unbearable.
Great projection, I feel cincy beats Buffalo. Buffalo's secondary isn't as good without Mycha hyde, tre white isn't right he doesn't look like the all pro he was before the ACL. Chase ,Higgins, Boyd are a formidable trio of deep threats.. I haven't even mentioned Mixon...

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back