PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pittsburgh this week, then the bye

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriot Missile

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
Big game coming up this week against Pitt. I'm starting to think they should keep Talib and Kelly out for some more time to heal up.

If everything goes right and the healing process works out we could be looking at Kelly,Talib and Vereen back for week 11. No idea on Armstead. That would be a pretty big boost to this team going down the stretch. Definitely don't think it is worth it to rush anyone back for a game we probably should win(never a given in the Nfl) when they could get some added healing to aid them into backstretch and the playoffs.

Thankfully Pittsburgh looks like warmed over garbage this year.

Expect LeBeau to show something different from what they usually show. They may go into press man looks more with Polamalu showing blitz at the line of scrimmage, only to drop back into coverage. The team should watch a little tape from the 2011 game where they threw out the kitchen sink just to beat the Pats.

Lets hope the Pats can play a step above that then next week. Maybe something like what we saw in the 2nd half yesterday.

Pittsburgh beat the Jets and the Jets beat the Patriots. Resting players because you take the opponent lightly is a great way to lose games you should win.

Only rest guys if they can't currently be more effective than the alternative or if there is an increased risk of aggravating the injury. Otherwise they've got to play. Other than Tampa every game so far has been a struggle, and only two of our opponents have winning records.

Pittsburgh in my eyes is not good, but not as bad as their record indicates. Won't be any easier than most of the previous games.

Pittsburgh beat the Jets and the Jets beat the Patriots. Resting players because you take the opponent lightly is a great way to lose games you should win.

Sure, it's a risk no doubt. But when Kelly is still seen limping last week and Talib's hip Being what is I think it may be more of a reward for a couple more weeks of healing. No I'm not a doctor, just speculating.

Sure, it's a risk no doubt. But when Kelly is still seen limping last week and Talib's hip Being what is I think it may be more of a reward for a couple more weeks of healing. No I'm not a doctor, just speculating.
If they cannot play then you aren't 'holding them out'.
Your post, given that you have no medical knowledge of the players status, suggested even if they are OK hold them out anyway, and you cited a reason as 'a team we should beat anyway).
If they are not ABLE to play there is no reason to start a thread stating you think we should hold them out.

2013 Pittsburgh Steelers Statistics & Players - Pro-Football-Reference.com

The Steelers look a lot like the Patriots - stout defense and struggling offense.

The Steelers are 4th in yards allowed defensively and 1st in TD passes allowed. I see a low-scoring grinder in Pittsburgh coming.

I wouldn't sleep on Mike Tomlin and the Steelers. Roethlisberger is completing 66% of his passes when he's not getting sacked. The Patriots pass rush should be able to get to him, but the Steelers usually have a good game game plan against the Patriots, and this is a huge game for them in the AFC and because it's the Patriots.

The most telling stat on the defensive chart at pro-football-reference is that the Steelers have 10 sacks to their opponents 27 - ouch! At least the Patriots are getting to the opposing passer at about the same rate that Brady is getting sacked. But Brady is getting sacked a lot and that doesn't get better with the loss of Vollmer.

I would like to see Talib on the field this week if he can go. It comes before the bye and if he can do his thing against Antonio Brown who is having a stellar season (56 receptions for 630 yards through 7 games), the Patriots will have a better chance of surviving week 9.

They way we've been playing, I wouldn't sell anyone short.

BTW, the Jets are saying 'Happy Monday'

They way we've been playing, I wouldn't sell anyone short.

BTW, the Jets are saying 'Happy Monday'
The Jets who lost 49-9? You really think that are having a Happy Monday?
I swear to God people around here use not being undefeatred as the proof of sucking.

A win over Pitt combined with the schedule the rest of the East faces next week would give the Patriots a great cushion heading down the home stretch, as they would be 7-2 with a 3 game lead in the East. 4-3 the rest of the way would essentially lock up the division.

That said it won't be easy, nothing for this team is or will be the rest of this season. Alot of growing pains this season, but imo it will all pay off and next year's team is going to be really really good.

If our offense be it Brady or McD decides the plan is to throw to Gronk even when triple teamed then we may very well lose to the Steelers. With heavy Gronk coverage, SOMEBODY else has to be open.

If our offense be it Brady or McD decides the plan is to throw to Gronk even when triple teamed then we may very well lose to the Steelers. With heavy Gronk coverage, SOMEBODY else has to be open.

I honestly don't think this offense is that far away from real improvement. Amendola should be feeling much better in another week (I thought they used him more as a decoy yesterday than the way they intend to use him going forward). Gronkowski will have the rust shaken off and Dobson is starting to figure it out and gain some confidence. The Vollmer injury sucks but they are pretty deep on the OL and will weather it. I expect to see the offense start to click in coming weeks and think they will be a much better team offensively by December.

It will seem like pie in the sky optimism to soem but imo many of the pieces are in place and they aren't that far off from getting their act together.

The way we've been playing, i don't see why can't lose to Pittsburgh, heck i don't see why we can't lose to the Jaguar lol. This offense is unconscious, like a comatic stage.We're leaving on the edge, its all great until we get that wake up call loss.

I honestly don't think this offense is that far away from real improvement. Amendola should be feeling much better in another week (I thought they used him more as a decoy yesterday than the way they intend to use him going forward). Gronkowski will have the rust shaken off and Dobson is starting to figure it out and gain some confidence. The Vollmer injury sucks but they are pretty deep on the OL and will weather it. I expect to see the offense start to click in coming weeks and think they will be a much better team offensively by December.

It will seem like pie in the sky optimism to soem but imo many of the pieces are in place and they aren't that far off from getting their act together.

IF Amendola was a decoy, and given Gronk had 2 and sometimes 3 guys on him (3rd being another safety close enough to arrive with the ball) there HAD to be someone or even some two open. What happened to the QB who read the coverages and dumped the ball to the open guy? Brady won rings throwing to nobodies. I swear that 2007+ as the over reaction to Caldwell in 2006 ruined this team.

No matter how good the Pittsburgh defense has been over the years Brady has generally fared very well against them

The Jets who lost 49-9? You really think that are having a Happy Monday?
I swear to God people around here use not being undefeatred as the proof of sucking.

No, the Jets that ripped us a new butthole a little over a week ago! :mad: The Jets that everyone here were mocking in the week leading to that game. :mad:

Probably the same idiots who now mocking the Steelers.... Christ :rolleyes:

IF Amendola was a decoy, and given Gronk had 2 and sometimes 3 guys on him (3rd being another safety close enough to arrive with the ball) there HAD to be someone or even some two open. What happened to the QB who read the coverages and dumped the ball to the open guy? Brady won rings throwing to nobodies. I swear that 2007+ as the over reaction to Caldwell in 2006 ruined this team.
Agreed 100%. Maybe Dobson emerging in the 2nd half yesterday will spur some confidence in Brady looking his way instead of at a double or triple covered Gronk.

The way we've been playing, i don't see why can't lose to Pittsburgh, heck i don't see why we can't lose to the Jaguar lol. This offense is unconscious, like a comatic stage.We're leaving on the edge, its all great until we get that wake up call loss.

Couldn't agree more. Every week we play on a brink of a cardiac arrest, and yet people are downplaying opponents as if we were the Broncos, demolishing everyone.

A little modesty and a good dose of reality check for good measure, wouldn't hurt here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back