PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pittsburgh this week, then the bye

Status
Not open for further replies.
Expect LeBeau to show something different from what they usually show. They may go into press man looks more with Polamalu showing blitz at the line of scrimmage, only to drop back into coverage. The team should watch a little tape from the 2011 game where they threw out the kitchen sink just to beat the Pats.

They don't have the horses to throw the kitchen sink at anybody anymore. If the Pats play at any level above the ****-show they displayed against the Bengals they should be able to take control of this one. Not at all taking them lightly, I still envision a close game...I'd guess 23-13, something like that.

Offensively NE has to stick with the run, take their shots in the passing game (there's nobody in that secondary that Dobson/Thompkins can't outrun...whether the ball is accurate and/or caught is a different matter), and come up with a couple plays defensively. While the general sentiment seems to be to hope they steal a win and get to the bye week as healthy as possible, I think this is an important game to win. 7-2 would feel a lot better than 6-3, and this is a chance to kick a struggling team while they're down. That's what good teams do.

I say we play everybody, we can't afford to lose to the steelers at home. Also i want to see if this team can play offense.

Who the fck said we would have won the game had that call not made in the first place? The only thing certain was that we would have gotten the ball back for another chance. No one guarantees we would have reached FG range on the second attempt either. :rolleyes:

Yikes, you're so angry! It might help to take a deep breath and re-evaluate this whole argument, because you're kinda jumping the shark. I never said we WOULD win the game, I said we were still able (and IMO, had a very good chance) to win the game, despite the "butthole ripping" you have imagined we took. A division game on the road lost by 3 points in overtime isn't a butthole ripping for anyone. End of story.

I guess the ***** playing at Cinci was a divisional show off as well.... or the lead we lost (yet again) against the Saints at home was planned too....

Sure, or it could be that we lost to a 6-2 division leading team with a great defense on the road because, you know, the other guys get paid too. Oh, and we BEAT a Saints team who, last time I checked, hasn't lost to anyone else this year. But if you want to think playing close games to those teams is a failure be my guest.

Give me a fcking break. The offense this year is absolutely atrocious. Brady is off mark, receivers don't know the routes, dropping balls, the O-line performs at times like kindergartners, getting owned, and Brady sacked left and right.

The defense without Wilfork, Mayo, and Talib just looks like pure garbage (they do show some flashes, I'll give them that, but those are few and far in between).

The team you just described is 0-8, not 6-2, I don't care who you're playing. So now 17th in points per game and 18th in yards per game on offense is atrocious? You need some perspective.

....and you just take everyone for granted. Great. :rolleyes:

I haven't taken anyone for granted. That's not even a strawman argument, it's just flat out FALSE. In fact, my argument about losing division games to inferior opponents is the opposite. I take no one for granted, which is why I don't view an OT loss and a 10 point WIN as some sign to panic on this team.

I expect the steelers to play aggressively on D and not even worry about getting beaten over the top. That's the formula to shut down our passing game. Should be another nailbiter.

I say we do everything we can to win because this board would be insufferable during the bye week after a loss to the Steelers.

They still have a good defense and we just lost another lineman in a already struggling oline. Not a good recipe for this struggling offense. Have to develop the inside passing game.

I wanted to say this in my post, but couldn't word it the way you did. Pittsburgh definitely concerns me a bit. Also they are coming off a game they probably should've won but they shanked two gimme FG's and will be looking to bounce back.

Yeah, their last 3 games have shown definite improvement in some key areas, and they still currently hold the #2 overall pass defense and #4 total defensive rankings. Luckily they missed those 2 easy FG's on Sunday as they lost by 3 and would be battling us for a possible 4-4 record. Their loss took the momentum away from what was building, so we should be thankful there.

I realize they are 2-5, but it's hard for me not to see them as a game/maybe even two better at 3-4 or 4-3. Either way, I'm not quite as confident as some others that our team is currently in a place where they can head into the 4th quarter with a comfortable 14-17 pt lead this season. My fear is that we still need to gel within the next month or so to get there, if it ever happens this season at all.

I hope you are right, 7-2 going into the bye would be a great place to be sitting, especially if both Miami and the jets go down this week.

7-2 would be enormous in my opinion, particularly under these circumstances this season. I think we should kiss the ground if we win and head in at 7-2, because that shows that this team has played through adversity/challenges, while also getting some of the needed bounces throughout the season that are usually necessary.

Can this be the first week Ridley has over 20 carries, please?

In 5 of the 7 games he has played, he's had an avg carry between 4.5 and 5.6. He has 4 TD in the last 3 weeks.

Guy has yet to see more than 20 carries in a game and 5 of the games he has played in he has carried it less than 15 times.

Yet somehow is still a top 15 RB.

Can this be the first week Ridley has over 20 carries, please?

In 5 of the 7 games he has played, he's had an avg carry between 4.5 and 5.6. He has 4 TD in the last 3 weeks.

Guy has yet to see more than 20 carries in a game and 5 of the games he has played in he has carried it less than 15 times.

Yet somehow is still a top 15 RB.

I think pitt is going to shutdown the run and force us to throw. This is what they have done most of the time and brady has burned that zone blitz. Not sure he has the people around him to burn them this time so this is what pitt will try and do. BB usually goes with a all throw approach vs pitt. No point giving carries if its not working.

I think pitt is going to shutdown the run and force us to throw. This is what they have done most of the time and brady has burned that zone blitz. Not sure he has the people around him to burn them this time so this is what pitt will try and do. BB usually goes with a all throw approach vs pitt. No point giving carries if its not working.

Actually, it seems to be the other way around for PIT lately.

They currently have the #2 pass defense in the NFL, but are coming in at #27 vs the rush. Their pass defense is so strong that even despite their #27 ranking vs the run, they are still coming in at #4 in total defense overall.

We should be able to get some yards on the ground Sunday. My fear is what the passing game will do. It'd be a great situation to give Ridley the ball 20+ times, yet I somehow doubt it'll happen. Oddly enough, Bolden leads all our carriers this year in touches.

I like the Patriots in this game. The only reason I'm not going to expect a blowout is that I don't trust Amendola. Until I see him looking 100%, I don't really see a way to predict his level of play.

The Steelers can't run, and the Patriots just traded for a lardass who'll be tasked with keeping it that way. The Steelers offensive line is all sorts of banged up, and their high end rookies aren't ready to start. If New England can get on top of Pittsburgh early, this game could be over by the time the fourth quarter comes around.

I like the Patriots in this game. The only reason I'm not going to expect a blowout is that I don't trust Amendola. Until I see him looking 100%, I don't really see a way to predict his level of play.

I think they are still bringing him back slowly, as his reps seemed to be about equal the past 2 weeks since he returned from injury. Hopefully the bye week will do him some good and he can be much more of a weapon down the stretch of the post-Thanksgiving run.

To date, it's been an outright shame...just a shame. We saw some very good potential and talent in the first game and then the usual injury situation that so many were concerned with. On top of that they seem to have strayed from some of their quick timing passes inside of the numbers that focused on the slot position this year, for whatever reason. At this point, I wish it would return; especially with Thompkins having some struggles getting open the past couple of weeks.

If New England can get on top of Pittsburgh early, this game could be over by the time the fourth quarter comes around.

Let's hope so. I've had more than my share of pacing back and forth this season like a madman.

...On top of that they seem to have strayed from some of their quick timing passes inside of the numbers that focused on the slot position this year, for whatever reason...

I think it's been done out of necessity. Amendola's been out, and he looked lousy last game. Collie can't make a living inside, or he'll be back on IR in no time at all. Edelman, for all that people like to say that he's "just like Welker", is more of an outside guy who can play some slot than a slot guy who can play on the outside, in the sense that he's not really a guy who's consistently going to break open with his first 3-5 steps, which is what you really need a slot receiver to do in today's game. Gronk's been out, too, and neither Thompkins nor Dobson is worth a damn on the inside, because they can't be trusted.

My hope is that the offensive line will get it together, that Amendola will learn to play with that shredded groin, and that Brady's timing with Amendola and Gronk will improve and lead to the middle of the field being threatened consistently again. If they can accomplish that, the outside will end up with one-on-one coverage, and that will open up the entire field to Brady.

My hope is that the offensive line will get it together, that Amendola will learn to play with that shredded groin, and that Brady's timing with Amendola and Gronk will improve and lead to the middle of the field being threatened consistently again. If they can accomplish that, the outside will end up with one-on-one coverage, and that will open up the entire field to Brady.

I think it's pretty much needed to make a deep playoff run this year. Hopefully we see that develop rather quickly.

Actually, it seems to be the other way around for PIT lately.

They currently have the #2 pass defense in the NFL, but are coming in at #27 vs the rush. Their pass defense is so strong that even despite their #27 ranking vs the run, they are still coming in at #4 in total defense overall.

We should be able to get some yards on the ground Sunday. My fear is what the passing game will do. It'd be a great situation to give Ridley the ball 20+ times, yet I somehow doubt it'll happen. Oddly enough, Bolden leads all our carriers this year in touches.

yeah but they know they can load up to stop the run in this game as we have no pass threat unless we show it to them. Iam constantly worried about the pass protection as well and most of our passing game is via the play action which wont go anywhere if our oline continues to stink it up. Sure they cant hold forever but sometimes they are getting beat 1 on 1 flat.

I think it's been done out of necessity. Amendola's been out, and he looked lousy last game. Collie can't make a living inside, or he'll be back on IR in no time at all. Edelman, for all that people like to say that he's "just like Welker", is more of an outside guy who can play some slot than a slot guy who can play on the outside, in the sense that he's not really a guy who's consistently going to break open with his first 3-5 steps, which is what you really need a slot receiver to do in today's game. Gronk's been out, too, and neither Thompkins nor Dobson is worth a damn on the inside, because they can't be trusted.

well, they seemed to be using amendola on the outside also like in the dropped pass which brady mad. I know preseason is preseason, but this passing game looked a lot more confident and in sync then.

yeah but they know they can load up to stop the run in this game as we have no pass threat unless we show it to them. Iam constantly worried about the pass protection as well and most of our passing game is via the play action which wont go anywhere if our oline continues to stink it up. Sure they cant hold forever but sometimes they are getting beat 1 on 1 flat.

True, until other teams fully show respect to the passing game they are going to dare NE to beat them through the air. That's a decent point.

One would think that PIT will blitz more than usual and try to take advantage that way. Of course that will limit the time that Brady has, which seems to continue to be a problem so far this year.

Steelers notebook: Injuries shake up shaky offensive line - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

With each game seems to come more setbacks for the Steelers, and those do not include the losses.

Three more players left Sunday's game with injuries, and they all happened to be offensive linemen. Ramon Foster left in the first half with a concussion, David DeCastro in the third quarter with a right ankle injury and then Foster's replacement at left guard, Guy Whimper, was knocked out with a left knee injury.

Coach Mike Tomlin said DeCastro and Whimper will be evaluated in Pittsburgh and that he was not sure how seriously they were injured.

After all three injuries, the Steelers were left with a line that included Mike Adams at left tackle, Kelvin Beachum at left guard (moving from left tackle) and Cody Wallace at right guard. Wallace entered as the third left guard of the game but had to move to the right when DeCastro was hurt.​

Even if some of those guys come back, the Steelers OL is in trouble. This looks like another opportunity to be very aggressive at the line of scrimmage. Big Ben, though, is the best at extending plays with his feet and throwing with guys draped all over him.

Even if some of those guys come back, the Steelers OL is in trouble. This looks like another opportunity to be very aggressive at the line of scrimmage. Big Ben, though, is the best at extending plays with his feet and throwing with guys draped all over him.

I like Ninkovich a lot, this week. If the Steelers think they can break contain or roll out/bootleg right, I see nothing but disappointment in their future. If he stays in the pocket, C. Jones will have another multi-sack game.

I like Ninkovich a lot, this week. If the Steelers think they can break contain or roll out/bootleg right, I see nothing but disappointment in their future. If he stays in the pocket, C. Jones will have another multi-sack game.

Ben is at his best shrugging off the rush. No easy hand takedowns with Ben. He's great at finding the open receiver after the rushers all fall down (is this a Patriot trademark or what?) and DB coverage breaks. Unlike last week's opponent or Clemens against the Seahags, Ben is savvy enough to read the corner blitz.

On the downside their offense has sand in the gears and mediocre at best OL performance. Ben also usually finds a way to make a couple personal turnovers. This Pats team is also good at creating turnovers. Should be another exciting game with sharp momentum swings.

Just please do not throw the ball to Gronk triple covered. The % for a pick > the % for a catch or penalty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore