PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pittsburgh this week, then the bye

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree and think this game will be a lot like the Cincinnati game. I am looking at a 7-6 game, with the Pats winning. Big Ben will have a short dump off picked off late in the 4th quarter to seal the game.

It just comes down to the risk of re-injuring Talib when you could give him a month to recover, and the way Ryan and Dennard played last Sunday I am not sure it is necessary. The Steelers only have 2 receiving threats, Brown and Sanders, so i think the Patriots can hold them in check without bringing back Talib. I don't think the game will be easy by any means but at this point i say stick with the kids and come back much healthier after the bye. The Carolina game is actually going to be big for them.

Maybe and maybe not

The problem this year has been that the receivers have NOT been open.

I don't know what would have happened if Brady didn't throw to Gronk when he was covered. I suspect that the offense would have had poorer results.

If our offense be it Brady or McD decides the plan is to throw to Gronk even when triple teamed then we may very well lose to the Steelers. With heavy Gronk coverage, SOMEBODY else has to be open.

No I don't see.... considering we had a full 11 point lead on that green garbage at half time, and somehow managed to lose the game, no I don't see it~! :mad:

So... losing an 11 point lead in a half, then still being able to win a game, on the road, in the division, except for a bogus call that gifts the opponent an OT win = a 40 point drubbing from start to finish?

And I bolded those statements, because in every year that the Pats have made the Super Bowl under Belichick, they've lost a division road game to a division opponent who was well under .500... with the exception of 2007, where they didn't lose to anyone. So that's your standard now? 16-0 or GTFO?

Division road games are wonky, for EVERYONE. That's why San Fran couldn't beat St. Louis last year.

We don't need to concern ourselves with holding Kelly out, as he can't even walk without a noticeable limp. We'd be lucky to get him back for week #11 after the bye in my opinion.

If Talib is able to play, it's possible they could sit him and see how the secondary looks to try and determine if they are able to get another week of rest out of him or not; although that's nothing more than my stupid idea. If he's needed he could in theory, play--but if things are going well enough he could use another week.

This game against the Steelers is going to be a dogfight. The Patriots are going to need all hands on deck to get through this one. No coasting.

The only time to take their foot off the gas pedal is AFTER this game. Not before it. There's no way they're going to take Pittsburgh lightly, despite their poor start to the season. The Steelers almost always play the Patriots tough in the regular season.

So... losing an 11 point lead in a half, then still being able to win a game, on the road, in the division, except for a bogus call that gifts the opponent an OT win = a 40 point drubbing from start to finish?

Who the fck said we would have won the game had that call not made in the first place? The only thing certain was that we would have gotten the ball back for another chance. No one guarantees we would have reached FG range on the second attempt either. :rolleyes:

And I bolded those statements, because in every year that the Pats have made the Super Bowl under Belichick, they've lost a division road game to a division opponent who was well under .500... with the exception of 2007, where they didn't lose to anyone. So that's your standard now? 16-0 or GTFO?

Division road games are wonky, for EVERYONE. That's why San Fran couldn't beat St. Louis last year.

I guess the ***** playing at Cinci was a divisional show off as well.... or the lead we lost (yet again) against the Saints at home was planned too....

Give me a fcking break. The offense this year is absolutely atrocious. Brady is off mark, receivers don't know the routes, dropping balls, the O-line performs at times like kindergartners, getting owned, and Brady sacked left and right.

The defense without Wilfork, Mayo, and Talib just looks like pure garbage (they do show some flashes, I'll give them that, but those are few and far in between).

....and you just take everyone for granted. Great. :rolleyes:

This game against the Steelers is going to be a dogfight. The Patriots are going to need all hands on deck to get through this one. No coasting.

You could have fooled some of the members here..... they sure think the Pats will just steamroll over the Steelers.... :rolleyes:

Somewhat agree with Andy that we're at most 4 Ws away from locking the AFCE at 10-6. With 8 games left, my quantum qbit superposition computer decoheres into we go 50% from now on and the East is ours. The wins against all contenders make the next tie breaker conference wins. Both the Jets 4L and the Phins 3L have more conference losses than the Pats 2L. Don't see either with only 2 more losses this season.

I expect substantial improvement after the Bye. Time for the coaching staff to do some needed re-assessment and the education of the very young team to continue unabated.

Of course winning the division is just one piece of the goal

I see this game being tight. Pittsburgh is basically a poor mans version of our team. Steelers will be desperate but, I think we'll do just enough to take this one. Patriots 20, Steelers 16

It just comes down to the risk of re-injuring Talib when you could give him a month to recover, and the way Ryan and Dennard played last Sunday I am not sure it is necessary. The Steelers only have 2 receiving threats, Brown and Sanders, so i think the Patriots can hold them in check without bringing back Talib. I don't think the game will be easy by any means but at this point i say stick with the kids and come back much healthier after the bye. The Carolina game is actually going to be big for them.

I seem to remember a certain Heath Miller catching everything thrown his way the last time we played the Steelers.

No doubt Pittsburgh has looked rough this year but they recently got Le'Veon Bell going (He had a bad game yesterday) and I wouldn't be surprised if he racks up 100+ yards against our D.

Last I checked **** LeBeau is still running that defense so I'll just leave it at that.

You could have fooled some of the members here..... they sure think the Pats will just steamroll over the Steelers.... :rolleyes:

I see this game being tight. Pittsburgh is basically a poor mans version of our team. Steelers will be desperate but, I think we'll do just enough to take this one. Patriots 20, Steelers 16

I see absolutely zero reason to believe that it will be anything but an all out dogfight.

Pittsburgh is not winning on a consistent basis (obviously), but they are one of those teams that has the capacity to win vs just about anyone.

Their defense is still tough in some areas, and their offense has the capability to score enough points to win.

I see absolutely zero reason to believe that it will be anything but an all out dogfight.

Pittsburgh is not winning on a consistent basis (obviously), but they are one of those teams that has the capacity to win vs just about anyone.

Their defense is still tough in some areas, and their offense has the capability to score enough points to win.

I actually think the Pats will win by multiple TD's. The Steelers don't generate turnovers or a whole lot of pressure, and I don't see anybody on that team that is quick or big enough to cover Gronk consistently. Maybe I'll be wrong, but if I am right then...

new-poster-for-breaking-bad-remember-my-name-preview.jpg

Of course winning the division is just one piece of the goal

That's why I'm conflicted. Usually I rail against the "Hold the guy out" crowd but given that 10 wins = AFCE Championship I'm tempted to go with the hold Talib out crowd this game. I'm inconsistent but I think that given who we currently expect to have in 3 weeks plus the time for coaching and young player development I see the post Bye 7 games as being critical and sufficient to close on our playoff spot.

Complete strawman argument, I went through this entire thread and found one post taking a shot at Pitt and it was one sentence long, and i doubt that poster actually thinks it will be a cake walk. Most Patriot fans seem very aware that every game this season is going to be a battle.

I wanted to say this in my post, but couldn't word it the way you did. Pittsburgh definitely concerns me a bit. Also they are coming off a game they probably should've won but they shanked two gimme FG's and will be looking to bounce back.

Complete strawman argument, I went through this entire thread and found one post taking a shot at Pitt and it was one sentence long, and i doubt that poster actually thinks it will be a cake walk. Most Patriot fans seem very aware that every game this season is going to be a battle.

I don't think it will be a cake walk, but I think that the lead will be extended to multiple scores by the time the game winds down. I just have that feeling.

Steelers notebook: Injuries shake up shaky offensive line - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

With each game seems to come more setbacks for the Steelers, and those do not include the losses.

Three more players left Sunday's game with injuries, and they all happened to be offensive linemen. Ramon Foster left in the first half with a concussion, David DeCastro in the third quarter with a right ankle injury and then Foster's replacement at left guard, Guy Whimper, was knocked out with a left knee injury.

Coach Mike Tomlin said DeCastro and Whimper will be evaluated in Pittsburgh and that he was not sure how seriously they were injured.

After all three injuries, the Steelers were left with a line that included Mike Adams at left tackle, Kelvin Beachum at left guard (moving from left tackle) and Cody Wallace at right guard. Wallace entered as the third left guard of the game but had to move to the right when DeCastro was hurt.​

That's why I'm conflicted. Usually I rail against the "Hold the guy out" crowd but given that 10 wins = AFCE Championship I'm tempted to go with the hold Talib out crowd this game. I'm inconsistent but I think that given who we currently expect to have in 3 weeks plus the time for coaching and young player development I see the post Bye 7 games as being critical and sufficient to close on our playoff spot.

I am pretty certain Talib has had this injury before so it is the recurring nature of it that leads me to believe they should err on the side of caution with him. If he is as back as he is going to be then fine go ahead and play him, but if he will really benefit from the extra 2 weeks then sit him. As a fan it is pretty much impossible to know.

I don't think it will be a cake walk, but I think that the lead will be extended to multiple scores by the time the game winds down. I just have that feeling.

I hope you are right, 7-2 going into the bye would be a great place to be sitting, especially if both Miami and the jets go down this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore