PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFF says Pats should blow it up and tank in 2021

People forget that the Chiefs were a playoff team with Alex Smith when they drafted Mahomes. The ravens were winning with flacco when they drafted lamar jackson late in the first.

You don't have to tank to rebuild. Blowing up all the positions on your roster. That's how you end up as the Jets. Ruining guys like Darnold because they have garbage around them.

Andrew luck literally retired because he had such trash around him due to the colts gutting their roster to get him.

Basically it's tanking for one player. Even if it's a QB, absurd.
Especially when they could just as easily trade a little to move up in the draft, or stay put and get a good QB.

Especially when they could just as easily trade a little to move up in the draft, or stay put and get a good QB.

Not to mention how many of the "consensus top QBs" were always what the media proclaimed in the offseason?

Mahomes was #10, Rodgers was in the 20s same with lamar jackson.

Not to mention how many of the "consensus top QBs" were always what the media proclaimed in the offseason?

Mahomes was #10, Rodgers was in the 20s same with lamar jackson.
Mahomes was taken 10th, Deshaun Watson was 12th, and that was in a draft class that legitimately only had three good QB's.

All the teams ahead of us these draftniks assume will take a QB actually won't. Many of them like the player they have slotted there or believe they're not that far away from winning with their current QB.

Rookie QB's aren't unicorns, more great/good QB prospects get ruined going to horrible franchises and that it skews the success rate horribly in one direction. A QB doesn't have to be a top three pick to be successful, and even Andrew Luck never reached his potential because the Colts were a dysfunctional mess with an addict for an owner and dumpster fire named Ryan Grigson at GM.

BB, Andy Reid and Sean Payton would have won multiple rings with Luck... that poor devil had the misfortune of going to a doormat.

Last edited:
Mahomes was taken 10th, Deshaun Watson was 12th, and that was in a draft class that legitimately only had three good QB's.

All the teams ahead of us these draftniks assume will take a QB actually won't. Many of them like the player they have slotted there or believe they're not that far away from winning with their current QB.

Rookie QB's aren't unicorns, more great/good QB prospects get ruined going to horrible franchises that it skews the success rate horribly in one direction. A QB doesn't have to be a top three pick to be successful, and even Andrew Luck never reached his potential because the Colts were a dysfunctional mess with an addict for an owner and dumpster fire named Ryan Grigson at GM.

BB, Andy Reid and Sean Payton would have won multiple rings with Luck... that poor devil had the misfortune of going to a doormat.

Yeah, the colts destroyed Luck's career sadly

The year to sell off some of our more expensive, aging assets and play the kids was 2020. Not 2021.

The Pats are like every other team without a real QB:

Until they get a real QB they just. Don't. Matter.

There is no reason to torch everything when you have cap space, which the 2021 Pats do (but the 2018-2020 Pats really didn't.)

The Pats are like every other team without a real QB:

Until they get a real QB they just. Don't. Matter.

There is no reason to torch everything when you have cap space, which the 2021 Pats do (but the 2018-2020 Pats really didn't.)

plus, say you torch everything but then get a real QB. then they have a depleted roster and no weapons. no O-line and it looks like 2019 but worse on offense.

Those teams that do that like the Colts, Jets, Jaguars never seem to make out well. Andrew Luck retired by the time the colts put a competent roster around him because of all the injuries due to them having to build from scratch around him.

So PFF is on the treadmill bandwagon? :p

Insufferable is having Michel or Harris get ten carries a game guaranteeing we lose.
Please continue to point out the facts of McDaniels' incompetence. I don't like to think how disgusted I will be this fall if Harris/Michel continue to get 10 carries a game while the quarterback spends all day looking at 3rd and 16 like Mayfield and Allen did in the playoffs against the Chiefs, and we therefore miss the postseason again.
One got 5ypc, the other 5.7ypc.
Math is hard.

Yeah I was hoping we'd follow the Colts' blueprint. Our HoF QB is gone and has won a SB in another uniform. Now we just need to tank for the hyped up draft pick who won't lead us anywhere.

Let's be clear: the article is not about tanking. Tanking isn’t the same thing as rebuilding.

No one is saying the Patriots should try to throw games or get a bad record for a high draft pick; they’re saying they should focus on obtaining more picks, getting rid of high priced veterans, etc. Hold on to your younger, promising players for the future.

Frankly I'm shocked that so few people are on board with this idea. The Patriots roster is incredibly poorly stocked right now. They aren't going anywhere; there isn't a great nucleus of young talent to build around. If you think there is, you need to compare their best young players to other teams, and particularly other non-playoff teams. All teams have some good players from drafts, but the Patriots don't have some outstanding group of blue chippers that are a QB and a few free agents away from taking them to the next level.

If you're thinking that guys like Devin McCourty or Stephon Gilmore aren't going to be a part of the future then trade them for the best offer. Don't hold out for a first round pick; just take the best offer. Because there's very little value to holding onto him for one more year with a team that may be bound for 6-10 but is definitely not bound for 12-4.

If you're going free agency, focus on guys that are just ending their rookie deals and turning 26, not guys that are turning 29.

It takes a really high level of delusion to believe the team if a free agency frenzy away from being right back in the thick of things. That will just lead to another big setback, just like other teams that try it. Use the money get 3-4 year deals on the 26 year olds and go after the ones with the lower floor and higher ceiling. No need to go looking for your 32-year old tight end who will get you 600 yards next year.

Didnt the Pats blow it up and tank last season?

Let's be clear: the article is not about tanking. Tanking isn’t the same thing as rebuilding.

No one is saying the Patriots should try to throw games or get a bad record for a high draft pick; they’re saying they should focus on obtaining more picks, getting rid of high priced veterans, etc. Hold on to your younger, promising players for the future.

Frankly I'm shocked that so few people are on board with this idea. The Patriots roster is incredibly poorly stocked right now. They aren't going anywhere; there isn't a great nucleus of young talent to build around. If you think there is, you need to compare their best young players to other teams, and particularly other non-playoff teams. All teams have some good players from drafts, but the Patriots don't have some outstanding group of blue chippers that are a QB and a few free agents away from taking them to the next level.

If you're thinking that guys like Devin McCourty or Stephon Gilmore aren't going to be a part of the future then trade them for the best offer. Don't hold out for a first round pick; just take the best offer. Because there's very little value to holding onto him for one more year with a team that may be bound for 6-10 but is definitely not bound for 12-4.

If you're going free agency, focus on guys that are just ending their rookie deals and turning 26, not guys that are turning 29.

It takes a really high level of delusion to believe the team if a free agency frenzy away from being right back in the thick of things. That will just lead to another big setback, just like other teams that try it. Use the money get 3-4 year deals on the 26 year olds and go after the ones with the lower floor and higher ceiling. No need to go looking for your 32-year old tight end who will get you 600 yards next year.

Some think we will be contenders in the next 2 or 3 years because we have cap space this year. Whose the QB? I don’t see us winning the division in the next 3 years.

I agree...no tanking needed, but if we are 5-6 again next year like we were following the Houston loss...I say it is time to semi-tank by starting Stidham or something...

Stidham will be starting from the beginning of the season.

I agree...no tanking needed, but if we are 5-6 again next year like we were following the Houston loss...I say it is time to semi-tank by starting Stidham or something...

I'd have loved for us to be 6-10 right now...or even 5-11....we'd be drafting #7/#8 right now...and have a real shot at Trey Lance or Justin Fields or Zach Wilson right now....

Yeah, I liked winning in week 17...that was fun, but I won't remember it next year.....
It's clear tanking is not the way to go.

That said, I still like tank tops.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back