PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFF says Pats should blow it up and tank in 2021

sb1

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
Best-case, worst-case scenarios for all 32 NFL teams | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF

NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

Best-case: New England liquidates its assets and commences a rebuild

Worst-case: They sign a mid- or low-tier free agent quarterback to be their Week 1 starter and get stuck in quarterback purgatory

Regression hit the New England Patriots hard in 2020. They went from having Tom Brady to Cam Newton and subsequently fielded their least-efficient passing offense of the PFF era by a considerable margin. Then a coverage unit that was considered the best in the league in 2019 saw the steepest drop among all 32 teams in EPA per pass play allowed in 2020. They have no quarterback, a clear bottom-five receiving unit and two aging defensive backs on expiring contracts in 2022 that still have trade value (Stephon Gilmore and Devin McCourty). They aren’t going to be a contender in 2021, especially with a mid- to low-tier free agent passer like Andy Dalton or Mitchell Trubisky as their quarterback.

It’s not going to happen, but Bill Bellichick should strongly consider liquidating their assets and focusing on a rebuild this offseason. Next year would be a throwaway year, but they’d become an immediate favorite to land next year’s top quarterback, Spencer Rattler. And considering what we saw from him in Year 1 at Oklahoma — the fourth-best PFF grade in the country at 92.5 — he has the potential to be an elite level prospect like Baker Mayfield and Kyler Murray.

-------------------

LOL I love how a take like this just cancels itself by saying "it's not going to happen".

They are probably right that we will not contend in 2021 but I do not believe Pats need to blow it up either.

Spencer Rattler was one of the High School QBs featured on Netflix's QB1. From memory he was very mobile, decent arm but not very tall. Perhaps Russell Wilson size.

but I do not believe Pats need to blow it up either.

I agree. Blowing it up doesn't seem to work consistently. In fact, if you look at the final four each of the past two seasons, only the Bills got the QB from being inherently bad. They got Allen at #7, but the Chiefs got Mahomes at 10 by trading up from 27, the Packers got Rodgers at 22, the Titans got Tannehil as a free agent, and we all know what happened with the Bucs. And I would even argue the goal of the Bills wasn't to blow it up and draft high, but rather they just bottomed out naturally while being in a division against the Patriots every year.

Edit: forgot to include the 49ers in this list, who got their QB from a trade obviously.

Nah don't tank. Just keep McDaniels away during FA evals and draft war room meetings. Have to draft well and sign well. No bust signings. Vet every single player

Nah don't tank. Just keep McDaniels away during FA evals and draft war room meetings. Have to draft well and sign well. No bust signings. Vet every single player
Insufferable are your posts. We get it you don't like Josh. Get over it. Repeating the same drivel over and over and over....again does nothing.

if they focus on the roster holes this year through draft & FA, and don't go all in on a QB.......they might be in better position next year in very arguably a deeper QB draft to make a move on draft day for a youngster

still think they look at a QB in 3/4 this year, but.....

I get it, you are not a fan of McDaniels. Just to let you know, it gets very tiresome reading the constant repetition of the same opinion regardless of the thread title.
Just waiting for SB1 to get his dig in against Stidham next and all will be as it always is.

Let me get this straight. After scraping and clawing to keep the team together under the cap and being forced to overcome weaknesses that you couldn’t afford to plug, you have one mediocre season and now will have 60-90 million to acquire those players that have been out of reach because if you decimate your team so you can have the worst team in the league you can fix everything by getting the 19 year old who “in his first season in college he was the 4th best PFF grade” and could end up as good as 2 guys who have had very mediocre nfl careers to date.
What’s next, declare all players trans and go dominate the lingerie football league?

if they focus on the roster holes this year through draft & FA, and don't go all in on a QB.......they might be in better position next year in very arguably a deeper QB draft to make a move on draft day for a youngster

I'm not sure what you mean. Next year I can see Sam Howell and Spencer Rattler as 1st rounders but not sure I would even draft anyone else (maybe the USC kid but he's a choker). Can you drop some more names to process?

They can do it all this year.
Draft a qb, trade for or sign he best one you can get and spend the rest of the picks and cap filling all the holes.
They have the resources to upgrade half of the starting positions as well as half of more of the rest of the roster.

I agree. Blowing it up doesn't seem to work consistently. In fact, if you look at the final four each of the past two seasons, only the Bills got the QB from being inherently bad. They got Allen at #7, but the Chiefs got Mahomes at 10 by trading up from 27, the Packers got Rodgers at 22, the Titans got Tannehil as a free agent, and we all know what happened with the Bucs. And I would even argue the goal of the Bills wasn't to blow it up and draft high, but rather they just bottomed out naturally while being in a division against the Patriots every year.

Edit: forgot to include the 49ers in this list, who got their QB from a trade obviously.
Didn’t the bills trade up for Allen?

Isn’t that what we did last year? This year we are actually in position to begin improving the team.

Didn’t the bills trade up for Allen?

So they did, I forgot about that. Not a HUGE jump (12 to 7), but still, they weren't much farther off from what the Patriots were in 2020 when they made the move. Thank you.

Also, Allen was on the cusp of bust status before radically improving his mechanics and accuracy (with some help from Diggs). This was a guy at the bottom of the league in completion percentage who the Patriots handled easily until he made a huge turnaround. Just goes to show that improvement can come from a lot of directions very rapidly.

So they did, I forgot about that. Not a HUGE jump (12 to 7), but still, they weren't much farther off from what the Patriots were in 2020 when they made the move. Thank you.

Also, Allen was on the cusp of bust status before radically improving his mechanics and accuracy (with some help from Diggs). This was a guy at the bottom of the league in completion percentage who the Patriots handled easily until he made a huge turnaround. Just goes to show that improvement can come from a lot of directions very rapidly.
If you go back 10 years I would imagine more than half of the qbs selected in the first round turned out to be crap.

We are in the best position in the history of the franchise to improve the team.

b1_zps41b86f6e.gif

I don’t think we’re that far away from competing. I think we’ll be in the playoffs next season.
If we aren’t a lot of mistakes would have been made.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back