Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm you're huckleberry:
Bruins69 is a BB ballwasha,
Cuz it's like dat and dats the way it is... huh
U mad bro?
View attachment 21332

71UjEkIncFL._SL1500_.jpg

Sorry, I can't agree with this. PPG is a poor measure at this point when you had a huge variance in game 1 versus games 2 and 3. Second, Jacksonville and Detroit were both in position where they were actively trying to chew out the clock rather than score. Well, Jax did score anyhow. But the Lions could have put more on the scoreboard if they didn't consider the clock to be their friend. Also as noted, the run game seems to be the majority of the problem this year - which takes up time off the clock - whereas last year at this time it was passing performance against crossers and stacks. Of course the Pats have looked terrible on 3rd downs as well, sustaining the drives. This defense is playing comparably bad / if not worse than their 2017 counterpart at this point.

Clearly the offense stinks right now too, especially in comparison to 2017. But to say the defense isn't the biggest problem is farcical, in my opinion (no disrespect intended).

I'm not sure what measure other than PPG would be significantly superior, since point differential decides games.

IMHO, at some point, it's necessary to take into account some form of quantification to verify, balance out, and reconcile with, visual impressions. Stats or observations, either one taken alone, can be meaningless - especially out of context.

Using your example of week-to-week point swings ...

Points allowed:

20 (-22)
33 (+13)

31 (+11)
26 (-5)

Points scored:

36 (+9)

20 (-7)
10 (-10)

Percentage-wise, rushing yards allowed and passing yards allowed have increased insignificantly Y2Y, while points allowed dropped by almost 20%.

Meanwhile, passing yards, total first downs, 3rd/4th-down conversions and points scored by the offense are all down by roughly 40% Y2Y.

Sure, the defense could be better, allow fewer points per game. However, if the offense doesn't increase its point production, the defense will need to move into the top 8 in the league, or better, just to be able to eke out the occasional 19-17 squeaker.

Both sides of the ball get blame. Not sure how any one can look at this defense and give it a pass.

I'm not "giving the defense a pass". They're certainly mediocre right now, but NOT worse than the defense was in the first three games last season. Meanwhile, the offense - especially the passing offense - has been horrid.

Perspective.

Under BB and Brady, Pats have started 2-2 in 2003, 2005, 2012, 2014, and 2017.

All 5 years they made the playoffs... 4 to the AFCCG, 3 to the Super Bowl and 2 championships.

"But what if they lose to Miami this week? They'll be 1-3!! TOAST!!!!"

There is precedent for that too.

Once in the BB/Brady era, they lost a BRUTAL game to Miami, 30-10, that put their record at 1-3.

Once. In 2001.

Perspective.

worf-startrek-facepalm.gif

Yes but all you have is past performance to hope it will get better, there's no tangible evidence on the field.

The Pats have bad defensive personnel and limited offensive talent, in 2014 they had Revis, Browner, Collins, Jones, Wilfork, Ninkovich and better and younger versions of McCourty, Hightower, Chung.

Hightower is a shell of what he was, McCourty isn't as good as he was 4 years ago and every other position is massively downgraded from then.

Some of those teams were stacked with talent, especially 03 and 14, I believe the offense will eventually fix itself but the defense is always going to be a massive concern, you can't fix lack of talent.

The Pats don't have 1 single blue chip defensive player who you'd consider having on an All Pro team.
The Hightower shell seems pretty trendy. The problem with this sentiment is a coach/gm who trades players away while they still have value. Thus, doesn't it make sense that BB would see Hightower's downward spiral before anyone? I'm voting that September is an extended training camp and we will see a difference after a few games. McCourty also doesn't go from great to bust overnite. Browner often was flagged and Collins.......seriously? Gilmore replaces Revis and Flowers Ninkovich. I'll wait and see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back