PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Perspective

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m sorry but the defense can’t fricken get off the field. If it did Brady will have more possessions to score points. Conversely if the Pats offense bothered to put together longer scoring drives it would keep the defense fresh.

If the offense could put together longer drives, period. They've sucked at converting on 3rd and 4th down, percentage-wise. In spite of the defense being on the field for more minutes this season, they're still allowing fewer points and fewer big plays.

When the offense finds its way back to scoring 28+ per game, if the defense is still allowing 25.6, then I'll start worrying about the defense.

Through three games, the 2018 defense is allowing 6 fewer points per game than the 2017 defense.

Through three games, the 2018 offense is scoring 14 fewer points per game than the 2017 offense.

I really don't think the defense is the biggest problem at the moment.

I would posit that the points given up at the beginning of 2017 were due to miscommunication and integrating a lot of new personnel. Furthermore, teams were not running all over the Patriots. This is different than last year. The Patriots are getting shoved around even more than last year, which really, I did not think could happen.

I would posit that the points given up at the beginning of 2017 were due to miscommunication and integrating a lot of new personnel. Furthermore, teams were not running all over the Patriots. This is different than last year. The Patriots are getting shoved around even more than last year, which really, I did not think could happen.

Over 1/3rd of the players on this year's defense didn't play on last year's defense. They also have a new coordinator.

Through three games, the 2018 defense has allowed 13 more rushing yards per game than the 2017 defense did through three games, and 1 rushing TD versus 2 last season.

I expect them to fix the problems. But not sure they can before Miami. When Edelman comes back that should ease the pressure on Brady. And if Gordon works out...

But from some of the board the only thing left is to pull an Indy and get the 1

Brady can't get a first down,

if he did the defense probably wouldn't be gassed as early as they are.
The offense has blame to carry, for sure. Play calling, guys not open, running game can't get going.

Still the defense cannot let the other team march up the field taking 7-8 minutes off the clock on each drive.

The biggest difference this time is that I simply don't trust the offense to constantly bail out the defense like in the years before.

If the Lions score 26 Points on the Pats last year they would've put 30+ on them and win. Dorsett is the WR2 right now and he was at most a WR4 last year.
Trading Cooks, losing Danny Amendola ... Right now a 31 year old Chris Hogan is our only proven WR and that's the big issue. Double team Gronk and dare to let other weapons beat you.

If Edelman and Gordon can make this offense click the Pats will be fine. If not this will be a loooooong season.

Brady can't get a first down,

if he did the defense probably wouldn't be gassed as early as they are.

Let me see here... so the defense was already gassed to start the game last night? Because yes, Brady didn't get a first down on the opening series. But then the defense came out for their first series and promptly gave up a 12 play, seven and a half minute drive. The Lions didn't run one single play on 3rd down until the last play of the drive before the FG. If these guys were gassed to start the game, we have some serious problems on defense, even more than is readily apparent.

No sustained drives by the offense certainly led to the defense being on the field a LOT. But come on, these guys are professional athletes. You gotta get off the field at least a couple of times on 3rd down, despite the offense not sustaining drives.

Through three games, the 2018 defense is allowing 6 fewer points per game than the 2017 defense.

Through three games, the 2018 offense is scoring 14 fewer points per game than the 2017 offense.

I really don't think the defense is the biggest problem at the moment.

Sorry, I can't agree with this. PPG is a poor measure at this point when you had a huge variance in game 1 versus games 2 and 3. Second, Jacksonville and Detroit were both in position where they were actively trying to chew out the clock rather than score. Well, Jax did score anyhow. But the Lions could have put more on the scoreboard if they didn't consider the clock to be their friend. Also as noted, the run game seems to be the majority of the problem this year - which takes up time off the clock - whereas last year at this time it was passing performance against crossers and stacks. Of course the Pats have looked terrible on 3rd downs as well, sustaining the drives. This defense is playing comparably bad / if not worse than their 2017 counterpart at this point.

Clearly the offense stinks right now too, especially in comparison to 2017. But to say the defense isn't the biggest problem is farcical, in my opinion (no disrespect intended).

The offense has blame to carry, for sure. Play calling, guys not open, running game can't get going.

Still the defense cannot let the other team march up the field taking 7-8 minutes off the clock on each drive.

If the offense could put together longer drives, period. They've sucked at converting on 3rd and 4th down, percentage-wise. In spite of the defense being on the field for more minutes this season, they're still allowing fewer points and fewer big plays.

When the offense finds its way back to scoring 28+ per game, if the defense is still allowing 25.6, then I'll start worrying about the defense.

Both sides of the ball get blame. Not sure how any one can look at this defense and give it a pass.

Trading Cooks, losing Danny Amendola ...

I keep seeing posters glibly proclaiming this over and over. First, as much as I love DA you cant have a 6 million cap number for him on the team. What does that say to the other guys. You already have a better version of him in JE. Both are older, one had to go when that kind of money is involved.

Second, Cooks wasnt a great fit here. Great player - sure but not worth 80 million to us. His second year cap hit would have been 15 mil.

Third, the pats got more for cooks then what they gave up.

Fourth, the pats let DA walk and traded cooks under the (logical) assumption that JE would be here game 1.

Fifth, they went out and addressed the WR position putting together what looked like the deepest squad in 10 years: JE, Matthews, Britt, Hogan, Dorsett, Patterson.

Sixth, bad luck happens. JE suspension, Britt and Matthews got injured.

While its not good right now, its not like the Pats just jettisoned DA and Cooks and just stood around hoping for the best.

While its not good right now, its not like the Pats just jettisoned DA and Cooks and just stood around hoping for the best.
Yeah. People have remarkably/conveniently short memories about the offseason.

The perspective is those past 2-2 teams had talent on both sides...this team is pretty much devoid of talent outside on qb and TE...and we've seen what a schitt team like Detroit can do to this offense

Yeah. People have remarkably/conveniently short memories about the offseason.
Yep It just fits their narrative!

ThE PaTs ShOuLD HaVe PaYeD CoOkS and AmEnDoLA 92 MiLlIoN dOlLaRs

free-money.jpg

Next week will be telling, 2-2 with Edelman set to return would be great all things considered. 1-3 with kc, gb, minny waiting in the wings is troublesome. Then they will also have road games at mia pitt and chi which may pose challenges but jury still out on those

I keep seeing posters glibly proclaiming this over and over. First, as much as I love DA you cant have a 6 million cap number for him on the team. What does that say to the other guys. You already have a better version of him in JE. Both are older, one had to go when that kind of money is involved.

Second, Cooks wasnt a great fit here. Great player - sure but not worth 80 million to us. His second year cap hit would have been 15 mil.

Third, the pats got more for cooks then what they gave up.

Fourth, the pats let DA walk and traded cooks under the (logical) assumption that JE would be here game 1.

Fifth, they went out and addressed the WR position putting together what looked like the deepest squad in 10 years: JE, Matthews, Britt, Hogan, Dorsett, Patterson.

Sixth, bad luck happens. JE suspension, Britt and Matthews got injured.

Andy Johnson is that you? Cooks is a bonafide #1 NFL receiver and DA is a #1 slot NFL receiver. TB depends on good slot guys for this offense to run correctly. Ideally 2 good slot receivers make us unstoppable. That ridiculous list of broken castoffs and JAGS who couldn't make an NFL roster on any other team in the league shows your lack of football knowledge and exposes you for the mindless homer that you are. That list does not include any professional NFL receivers! Not one of the WRs named is good enough to be a #3 on any team in this league. Keep washing those BB balls, son. What an idiot.

This is probably going to be an unpopular take but hear me out. As a 60 year old PatsFan who has been through the thick and the horrid for YEARS and stuck by the team, it is NOT an option for me to NOT support the team. Born and bred in Boston, and Boston teams.

HOWEVER, IF this team cannot turn it around, I just do not see it as the end of the world. as someone mentioned above, 2001 is the last time they sucked.( haha they were 1-3) In the NFL a Dynasty now lasts 2 or 3 years. Look at Seattle. Indy. Denver. Teams that are incredible are a burnt out shell in not a few years. The Pats have been at this since 2001.

Belichick USUALLY can turn a disparate group INTO a group, some key players will be coming back from injury, etc BUT watching all the other games, the Pats do NOT seem to be full of young dynamic athletic studs.

Either way, I am grateful for this whole century, it has been amazing, and we all figured it would probably end with Brady retiring, which is in the very immediate future anyways.

OK flame away.

Andy Johnson is that you? Cooks is a bonafide #1 NFL receiver and DA is a #1 slot NFL receiver. TB depends on good slot guys for this offense to run correctly. Ideally 2 good slot receivers make us unstoppable. That ridiculous list of broken castoffs and JAGS who couldn't make an NFL roster on any other team in the league shows your lack of football knowledge and exposes you for the mindless homer that you are. That list does not include any professional NFL receivers! Not one of the WRs named is good enough to be a #3 on any team in this league. Keep washing those BB balls, son. What an idiot.
Why dont you do it in a rap for us you ****y

header_home.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes