PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Perspective - The art of getting over yourself. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
No it's not true. They did say nice things about butler but they never said he was the best corner in the team in 2014.
You totally made that up.
Before you shoot your mouth off,go look it up. Its not hard to find. Every Boston media outlet had the quotes. Don't be so damn lazy. I'm not doing it for you.
I'm also surprised by not being aware,it's pretty common knowledge.

Before you shoot your mouth off,go look it up. Its not hard to find. Every Boston media outlet had the quotes. Don't be so damn lazy. I'm not doing it for you.
It was an off the cuff comment before they even played a preseason game.
Technically he said it but the context matters.

Revis making a comment before any preseason games were played does not equal the consensus of patriot players saying butler was the best corner on the team that year.

Revis making a comment before any preseason games were played does not equal the consensus of patriot players saying butler was the best corner on the team that year.
Wasn't just revis. What about Brady? He said more than once that no Pats DB gave him more trouble in practice than Butler. Of course,they're talking practice and preseason,since he didn't play that much during reg. season.

Wasn't just revis. What about Brady? He said more than once that no Pats DB gave him more trouble in practice than Butler. Of course,they're talking practice and preseason,since he didn't play that much during reg. season.
So butlee was the best corner on the team but didn't play. Ok.
I'm sure you are misrepresenting the Brady comments as well. You said the CONSENSUS on the team was that he was their best corner in 2014. That is just not correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope. Brady said what he said. Surprised you forgot.

Of course you can assess how a team is shaping up in April. If you could not, you would have no basis for making personnel decisions going forward.

The most tedious thing about Boston sports talk, both amateur and pro, is this tendency to pose as a tough-minded cynic in the face of good news/positive assessments, for fear of being labeled a fanboy or a homer. It is a pose which belies its own putative objectivity when it prevents the poseur from acknowledging facts of positive import.

The team looks really good. There I said it.

My comments are not based on sports talk, just observations of a long time Pats fan.. this is a very good team, but the team on paper now is not the team who will take the field in early September.. IMO Butler and Garapolo are moving parts that may be elsewhere in September, and whoever BB chooses to take their spot might prove interesting. There still may be a surprising June cuts as well..

All the talk about franchising Garapolo is just BS, do not see the Pats making their highest paid payer a back up.. does not fit the economical structure of this team and the talk about him taking a home town discount is just fantasy, this may be his one and only shot.. I think the brouhaha about Butler is just that, the Pats want to keep him, but want to play by what the CBA allows..

Garapolo's value is that if a team such as the Browns do trade for him, they are not on the hook for a lot of money, and if he is as good as advertised they can extend his contract while under his rookie deal.. IMO it is low risk and high reward for them.

Brady's comments on butler.

You know, he made a mark in the rookie [minicamp] – in [offseason training],” said Brady. “We don’t put numbers on our jerseys; for what reason, I don’t know. I’m not sure … But this one player just kept making plays and I kept going, ‘Who is that? Who’s that guy running down balls?’ He had great quickness, great speed, great jumping ability, played the ball so well, intercepting passes all season long practicing on the scout team, and got some opportunities as the season went along to play on defense.
Tom Brady heaps praise on Malcolm Butler after Super Bowl interception

This is not Brady saying butler was the best corner on the team much less "a consensus of patriot players saying butler was the best corner on the team in 2014"

In perspective here are my thoughts. This team if they keep Butler might go 19-0.

I would rather keep Butler than trade him for a first. It is bad value looking at the single situation as 1 year of Butler is not worth a a trade down from 31 (the lowest first they could get) to 97 (the highest comp pick). But he just puts you over the top this year. Keep him on this team and you are head and shoulders above everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes