PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Went 1-4 to End Season. What Was The Cause of Implosion?

I think the defense over-performed given it was missing Jonathan Jones and had D- players in Godchaux and Bentley.

The offense routinely under-performed relative to the talent. Take away beatdowns running up the score against the worst teams in the league and this offense was the weak link all year long. Had 3 total points going into the 4th quarter of the Buffalo game.

But yes, not fun when the nighmare increasingly becomes Patriot franchise reality.
I don't think the offense is that good. In fact, nobody on the Pats O scares an opposing D. Pats need a game changer at WR to help Mac out.

Pats will keep flaming out against good teams with their pedestrian WR group.

"To most, the way the Patriots' season ended, with four losses in their final five games topped off by an embarrassing 47-17 loss to the AFC East-rival Bills on Saturday night, was shocking.

The Patriots started 2-4, finished 1-4. That's 3-8 compared to 7-0. Now, with the benefit of hindsight, which "half" of the season was closer to who these Patriots really were?

...and if you really wanted to lay it on, there was the 2-4 close to 2019 and 7-9 record last year. "

Its time for a fresh start, clean house and divorce from the past like they did 10+ years ago. They took down all the posters, pictures, etc, of the 1st dynasty glory days and moved on. Time for that again. I feel like the older veterans brought a steady hand during the regular season, especially the mid season run, but then they levelled off when we needed youthful hunger.
We need young, high spirit, high motor guys, who are hungry to make their mark. We have a good start, but this offseason is critical.

Because BB is the goat coach. Do you disagree ?

This is like 2005-2006 with mediocre staff around BB as well.
I dont disagree and i dont want him gone either but he is selecting the coaches so who are you really appealing to when you keep ranting about Josh . And who do you want as replacement ??

The other big problem is not just the players, but also the playcalling- there was absolutely nothing different, nothing creative. Just the same old ****- I was going to scream bloody murder if McD called the Ride 38 Club again (crack toss) because we did that a thousand times the last time we played them. And we also managed to go away from what worked great for us the very first time. Something called the run game.

And lo and behold, it got called several times and the Bills were more than ready for it.

So what the ****? Is it a lack of creativity? I don't think so. Is Mac Jones still being babied with a limited playbook? An argument could be made for that.

So that would essentially mean that BB is looking at this season as a rebuild, part 2? Who the **** knows. The big problem is that more than a handful of players aren't buying into the program.

Like Slater said, the team had a choice- either let this spiral out of control or make a stand and fight. We know which way the team went.

We also need to remember that the offense was behind a rookie QB. Its not an easy thing to keep things afloat , not to mentioned almost all the offensive weapons are new to this system . Someone like edelman and white wouldve been big help in the offense considerings it immaturity.

I dont disagree and i dont want him gone either but he is selecting the coaches so who are you really appealing to when you keep ranting about Josh . And who do you want as replacement ??

Anyone else.

This needs to be dissected. And it's in line with Mac's comments after that loss about a rough week of practice. Does it reflect on the coaches?

This needs to be dissected. And it's in line with Mac's comments after that loss about a rough week of practice. Does it reflect on the coaches?

It's a coaching staff quality issue. This team hasn't been good since Oct'19.

Its time for a fresh start, clean house and divorce from the past like they did 10+ years ago. They took down all the posters, pictures, etc, of the 1st dynasty glory days and moved on. Time for that again. I feel like the older veterans brought a steady hand during the regular season, especially the mid season run, but then they levelled off when we needed youthful hunger.
We need young, high spirit, high motor guys, who are hungry to make their mark. We have a good start, but this offseason is critical.

Well said. This staff is mediocre. Team fades over time 3 years in a row

And reflects on leadership on this team. A lot of players e.g. Trent Brown are just happy to be here. There isnt a mcginest or a wilfork to light the fire in these guys.

And the first time he hands off on 1st and 10 you will want him gone too.

Nah. Going 1-4 to end the year, after starting 2-4, will do that for me. Patriots had 3 total points going into the 4th quarter of the playoff game. Do you think it's going well ???

And reflects on leadership on this team. A lot of players e.g. Trent Brown are just happy to be here. There isnt a mcginest or a wilfork to light the fire in these guys.

Maybe. But this sounds like deflection from the fact the staff around BB is mediocre. Team had gone farther in the past with a far inferior roster.

Maybe. But this sounds like deflection from the fact the staff around BB is mediocre. Team had gone farther in the past with a far inferior roster.
:thaman: OMG i give up !!! Josh sucks and he should be gone and "Anybody else" needs to hired so they can motivate the defense to get a freaking stop in the entire game!!

:thaman: OMG i give up !!! Josh sucks and he should be gone and "Anybody else" needs to hired so they can motivate the defense to get a freaking stop in the entire game!!

Attaboy. Makes sense when I ask if you think things are fine. Hard to be a homer and say 1-4 was good.

So here is the thing about this team: they overwhelm the bad teams due to their excellent team discipline and preparation, but falls apart to good teams because 1. they are just as good as prep and discipline. 2. they have better talent than us.

I've had my issues with JMD - he often seemed impatient and frustrated with Mac on the sideline, which is not a good thing for grooming a rookie. We know he's not a players coach or able to involve young talent - all stuff I think he learned FROM Brady. And of course, Brady goes to TPA and makes Leftwich look like a star OC - the answer is always have a GOAT leading your team. However, it's hard to see another OC who could jump in here and do a great job within the same system and not cause some regression with Mac? I don't think Pats are getting rid of JMD, so all we can do is pray that they do some serious self evaluation.

I've had my issues with JMD - he often seemed impatient and frustrated with Mac on the sideline, which is not a good thing for grooming a rookie. We know he's not a players coach or able to involve young talent - all stuff I think he learned FROM Brady. And of course, Brady goes to TPA and makes Leftwich look like a star OC - the answer is always have a GOAT leading your team. However, it's hard to see another OC who could jump in here and do a great job within the same system and not cause some regression with Mac? I don't think Pats are getting rid of JMD, so all we can do is pray that they do some serious self evaluation.

Well said.
Mac came in good and is getting worse with McDaniels coaching

That speaks to a lack of leadership within the team.

We need to nail it on the draft.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back