PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Went 1-4 to End Season. What Was The Cause of Implosion?

DropKickFlutie

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
"To most, the way the Patriots' season ended, with four losses in their final five games topped off by an embarrassing 47-17 loss to the AFC East-rival Bills on Saturday night, was shocking.

The Patriots started 2-4, finished 1-4. That's 3-8 compared to 7-0. Now, with the benefit of hindsight, which "half" of the season was closer to who these Patriots really were?

...and if you really wanted to lay it on, there was the 2-4 close to 2019 and 7-9 record last year. "

Curran:
"[The Patriots] took a week off. Then they went on a five-week exhibition of ineptitude, undiscipline and lethargy that I haven’t seen in any of the 22 seasons I’ve spent covering Bill Belichick’s Patriots.

...WTF was that? Not just the total and historic annihilation administered by the Bills on Saturday night. The whole five-game stretch closing the season when the only team they could beat was the worst one in football?

WTF was the 2021 season?

...So are they a bad team that masqueraded as a good team for a couple months? ... are they "well-coached"? "

Last edited:
Patriots are a fraud team that won 7-straight playing DKF-style power run football which BB's mediocre staff philosophically hates and kept trying to revert back to crappy spread shotgun. Team started 2-4 and ended horribly 1-4 based on the crappy ideas BB's mediocre staff keeps trying to implement, leading to total pathetic failure and losing. Team was carried middle of the season by a Pats defense playing great via smoke and mirrors and really missing lockdown man-corners, a nose tackle, and a legit MLB next to Hightower.

Patriot Issues to Fix:

- Josh McDaniels still has no clue nor even attempts to involve Jonnu Smith. Jonnu had 0 targets, 1 target, 0 targets the last 3 weeks. Team needs a new OC. One who doesn't think a 2nd TE is always a Dwayne Allen TE blocker or 6th lineman.
- OLine's best player is Onwenu. But Onwenu didn't start the last 9 weeks. This OLine coach Bricillo is a D3 fraud who doesn't belong in the NFL. The Pats best OLine is Trent Brown at LT, Onwenu at RT.
- Run defense has been an issue all season. Gave up 270 rushing yards, and 220 rushing yards, and 195 rushing-yard games. Godchaux and Bentley SUCK and must be permanently replaced. Team needs a true run stuffing nose tackle. It was predictable to see that a lineup with Godchaux starting and Bentley playing ILB would get destroyed again by Buffalo.

Last edited:
They just overachieved, but still thought they had a good chance to grab the #1 seed based on their schedule. They came back down to earth.

They need a game changing WR. Their group is pedestrian.

They need a star MLB and overall more team speed. They can’t defend mobile QB’s.

Better D line. They have been soft for many years.

This will be all hard to accomplish when the secondary is going to be a mess.

Last edited:
One of the most undisciplined teams in the BB era. Penalties, missed assignments, tackling, SPECIAL TEAMS!!, Oline inconsistent ...all these which shouldnt happen regardless of the players.

Patriots are a fraud team that won 7-straight playing DKF-style power run football which BB's mediocre staff philosophically hates and kept trying to revert back to crappy shot spread shotgun. Team started 2-4 and ended horribly 1-4 based on the crappy ideas BB's mediocre staff keeps trying to implement, leadong to total pathetic failure and losing. Team was carried middle of the season by a Pats defense playing great via smoke and mirrors and really missing lockdown man-corners, a nose tackle, and legit MLB next to Hightower.

Patriot Issues to Fix:

- OC still has no clue nor even attempts to involve Jonnu Smith. Jonnu had 0 targets, 1 target, 0 targets the last 3 weeks. Team needs a new OC. One who doesn't think a 2nd TE is always glorified Dwayne Allen blocker or 6th lineman.
- OLine's best player is Onwenu. But Onwenu didn't start the last 9 weeks. This OLine coach Bricillo is a D3 fraud who doesn't belong in the NFL. The Pats best OLine is Trent Brown at LT, Onwenu at RT.

- Run defense has been an issue all season. Gave up 270 rushing yards, and 220 rushing yards, and 195 rushing yards. Godchaux and Bentley SUCK and must be permanently replaced. It was predictable to see a lineup with Godchaux starting and Bentley playing ILB would get destroyed again by Buffalo.

I like how now you are wrapping Josh McDaniels under "mediocre staff" just to make it not so obvious about your target of frustration :)

I like how now you are wrapping Josh McDaniels under "mediocre staff" just to make it not so obvious about your target of frustration :)

Well it's so obviously a problem, gotta mix it up. I do also think Godchaux and Bentley suck. Defense has to be perfect for the team to win since the offense keeps failing unless it's against a bottom dweller team

Last edited:
the Patriots are not a well coached team anymore. I honestly think the players are tuning out coach bill after Thanksgiving. can't think of another reason for the disastrous December/January the team has had.
and it's not going to get any better because you can guarantee a road game in Miami and a game vs Buffalo for 2/4 final games each season for perpetuity.... Coach, Bill has shown that his teams do not belong on the same field as the Miami dolphins in the Buffalo Bills over the last two or three seasons

That is the kind of season that gets coaches shown the door. Will be interesting to see what changes are made.

You know how tb12 has had like 3 different HOF careers? I was thinking, watching the current Pats oc continue to be idiotic for years, would be like watching watching mediocre Norv Turner post-Cowboys, except if his ineptitude continued unfortunately for the same franchise.

Last edited:
Fire Josh now! It will fix it all! ****ing dumbass making more dumbass threads. Mods seriously turn the siv off. Its ****ing old!

My next thread....going to start it now...what is/was the cause of the implosion of Patsfans....DKF starting every other thread *****ing about Josh. At this point I think Mrs. DKF went out on a "ladies" night and got plowed by Josh. There is zero rational explanation otherwise.

BB is old and the mediocre staff around him isn't good enough, particularly the offensive staff
How do you want for replacement ?And why dont you call for BB's head then ?

Fire Josh now! It will fix it all! ****ing dumbass making more dumbass threads. Mods seriously turn the siv off. Its ****ing old!
Seriously. We have mods that police the GDT like FEDS but completely ignore the main. When did spamming the board and hijacking threads become ok??

These threads are useless. DKF just gets buried and let's be honest. Has no idea what he's talking about concerning football. That's putting it nice.

This place deserves better. It's embarrassing.

Credit to IceIceBrady for a great summary:
-----
"
In 2020 and 2021, their record in December/January against winning teams…the Patriots went into the end of season stretch at 6-6 and 9-4, expected to win or be competitive in each game.

Rams 24, Patriots 3
Dolphins 22, Patriots 12
Bill 38, Patriots 9

Colts 27, Patriots 17
Bills 33, Patriots 21
Dolphins 33, Patriots 24
(Postseason) Bills 47, Patriots 17

0-7 record
Average game has been a loss by 17.3 points.

My dad constantly chirps that:
A) The Patriots never get blown out.
B) Belichick is the best big game coach in football.
C) The Patriots always improve and are at their best in December/January."

---

These aren't the old Patriots. This is what it looks like with mediocre staff around BB.

AFC teams ahead of the Patriots....KC, Tennessee, Cincinnati, Miami, Baltimore, Indianapolis, Buffalo, San Diego, Oakland.... all these teams have better rosters
but I think the pats are in the same rung as a couple of these teams but the lack of talent on the Patriots is disturbing

Well it's so obviously a problem, gotta mix it up. I do also think Godchaux and Bentley suck. Defense has to be perfect for the team to win since the offense keeps failing unless it's against a bottom dweller team
Funny, the game I saw had Allen throwing for 305 yards on 21-25 passing with 5 passing TDs (in case you're too blinded by Josh hate to do math, that means he threw more TDs than interceptions). Also had him scrambling for 66 yards, and also had the Bills running for some huge gains outside the tackles or straight at the DEs.

So it must be the fault of the DT. I will give you Bentley on this, however, as, for some reason I cannot being to understand, the Pats thought it would be a good thing to have him chasing Dawson Knox 20 yards down the field...

Yes, Bentley cannot run with a good TE. Ergo, if you put Bentley in a position where he has to try to run with a good TE, DKF will whip him mercilessly.

Because DKF just wants whipping boys. Seriously, the horse is dead and your two notes have gone flat.

AFC teams ahead of the Patriots....KC, Tennessee, Cincinnati, Miami, Baltimore, Indianapolis, Buffalo, San Diego, Oakland.... all these teams have better rosters
but I think the pats are in the same rung as a couple of these teams but the lack of talent on the Patriots is disturbing
4...I'll type it out...F.O.U.R.. of those teams watched the playoffs on the TV like we did this weekend. Indy lost to a team we hung 50 on. Its the NFL every week matters. But that is a ******ed list. Miami, Baltimore, SD er LA now, Oakland...I mean LV are not better rosters.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back