PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Went 1-4 to End Season. What Was The Cause of Implosion?

So should the Pats retry the experiment of patching together CBs? I dunno. Seems like every ring had an all pro talent at CB1 except for a couple smoke and mirror games covering for Ty Law while hurt
I don't know if I would call

Good veteran FA with 1 year experience in the system
1st rounder
2nd rounder
2nd rounder (pick 33)

is exactly "patching it together"

the cause was coaching, coaching, coaching....ill preparation, poor execution, terrible discipline reared their ugly heads. that crap could fly vs Jacksonville, et al, but on the road vs Indianapolis, in Miami and vs one of the best teams and qbs in the nfl it ain't going to work. Coach Bill no longer has Tom Brady to cover for him.
I honestly think we're at a point (and we have history to prove it now, the 2019-2021 seasons, that we have to start thinking about whether or not these players are starting to tune out Coach Bill, which causes the abysmal final quarter+ of football Krafty Bob's team has played the last 3 years. Not one win over a quality opponent in that span (last 4 or 5 games last 3 years) OTHER than the 2019 victory at home vs Buffalo, and lest we forget Buffalo had the ball first and goal with 2+ minutes to go and a chance to win or send to OT.
The team needs an injection of new philosophy or at the very minimum a fresh set of eyes on defense especially. Brining back Matt Patricia made absolutely no f u c k i n g sense. I posited maybe bringing in Mike Zimmer or some other experienced coach who got ****canned to look at things from something other than a Coach Bill lens. Over the last quarter of the season (plus playoffs if applicable), Coach Bill's team has a 4-10 record. How are people not up in arms about this? in that time span they've beaten exactly ONE team with a winning record....

the cause was coaching, coaching, coaching....ill preparation, poor execution, terrible discipline reared their ugly heads. that crap could fly vs Jacksonville, et al, but on the road vs Indianapolis, in Miami and vs one of the best teams and qbs in the nfl it ain't going to work. Coach Bill no longer has Tom Brady to cover for him.
I would tend to agree with this. We have 2 default wins against jets and then 2-3 crappy teams every year across conferences like Giants , falcons, lions, Texans etc. So 4-5 wins is guaranteed . How well do we do with the above middle class and the top tier.

We got 3 extra wins this year due to teams ravaged by COVID/ injuries / QB ineptitude. That will always not be the case .

Next year offensive philosophy needs to change else we might go to 6-8 win season.

Next year schedule:

We're playing the Cardinals
The NFC North
The AFC North
Our division
And then the Raiders, Colts

Somewhat challenging. No one on our offense scares anyone else. And times aren't going to be afraid to come up to Foxboro and beat us - we were 3-5 at home this year.

We have too many holes to fill. Our floor is still high, but our ceiling is not. I feel like at best, we'll be 10-7. We need a true ELITE number 1 receiver - most super bowl winning/making teams historically have had one. (Bradys pats are the exception tbh).

Our running game is good. But they can be shut down if teams wanna stop it. Is Mac the type of QB that needs his running game to be good? I'm interested in looking up his stats in games where the Pats didn't run well. It would stink if Mac is just Dak prescott..

Our defense is mush. They've always been fraudulent, and really weren't that great for the past 10 years, it just didn't matter when every year you had a top 5 offense. But now we don't. D-line, linebackers, etc. Needs to be retooled and replaced. Our safeties need to shuffled, especially if we don't keep jc Jackson.

So basically, the whole defense, a big time receiver, and maybe another decent receiver or tight end. And hope Mac doesn't have a sophomore slump.

But that's hard to fix in one year. We don't that much cap or draft capital/scouting to do that.

Wait for 2023.

Yup.

Bill always was and always will be a defensive guru but I think it might be too much to ask even for him to innovate a way to stop this trend. They were completely exposed in the last month of the season. So maybe the best way is the idea that the best defense is a great offense. Force the other offense to go one dimensional to keep up.

To get there it could be changes in personnel, coaching or philosophy or a combination. But I think we will see a lot of changes in the next couple of years.

Bill is the greatest but he's 70 and just head nodding when terrible ideas are being recommended to him. "Durant/Cajuste at RT for 6 weeks? OK"

I don't know if I would call

Good veteran FA with 1 year experience in the system
1st rounder
2nd rounder
2nd rounder (pick 33)

is exactly "patching it together"

Sorry to clarify do you mean now or back then ?

Busting on a bunch of picks doesn't make the group solid. It fell apart without Jon Jones and Mills. And the runD was a disaster all year.

Next year schedule:

We're playing the Cardinals
The NFC North
The AFC North
Our division
And then the Raiders, Colts

Somewhat challenging. No one on our offense scares anyone else. And times aren't going to be afraid to come up to Foxboro and beat us - we were 3-5 at home this year.

We have too many holes to fill. Our floor is still high, but our ceiling is not. I feel like at best, we'll be 10-7. We need a true ELITE number 1 receiver - most super bowl winning/making teams historically have had one. (Bradys pats are the exception tbh).

Our running game is good. But they can be shut down if teams wanna stop it. Is Mac the type of QB that needs his running game to be good? I'm interested in looking up his stats in games where the Pats didn't run well. It would stink if Mac is just Dak prescott..

Our defense is mush. They've always been fraudulent, and really weren't that great for the past 10 years, it just didn't matter when every year you had a top 5 offense. But now we don't. D-line, linebackers, etc. Needs to be retooled and replaced. Our safeties need to shuffled, especially if we don't keep jc Jackson.

So basically, the whole defense, a big time receiver, and maybe another decent receiver or tight end. And hope Mac doesn't have a sophomore slump.

But that's hard to fix in one year. We don't that much cap or draft capital/scouting to do that.

Wait for 2023.

Curious for your take. You think they can get 10 wins next week?

I honestly think we're at a point (and we have history to prove it now, the 2019-2021 seasons, that we have to start thinking about whether or not these players are starting to tune out Coach Bill, which causes the abysmal final quarter+ of football Krafty Bob's team has played the last 3 years. Not one win over a quality opponent in that span (last 4 or 5 games last 3 years) OTHER than the 2019 victory at home vs Buffalo, and lest we forget Buffalo had the ball first and goal with 2+ minutes to go and a chance to win or send to OT.
The team needs an injection of new philosophy or at the very minimum a fresh set of eyes on defense especially. Brining back Matt Patricia made absolutely no f u c k i n g sense. I posited maybe bringing in Mike Zimmer or some other experienced coach who got ****canned to look at things from something other than a Coach Bill lens. Over the last quarter of the season (plus playoffs if applicable), Coach Bill's team has a 4-10 record. How are people not up in arms about this? in that time span they've beaten exactly ONE team with a winning record....

Certainly on the offensive side of the ball this is a great point, I wonder if it's stale and whether an OC change wouldn't benefit not only Mac Jones but also the personnel ideal for a 2TE offense

The sad/funny thing is if Bodden doesn't get hurt the Patriots would have 2 more SB victories:mad:

Except Bodden wasn't exactly old.

He played in 47/48 games in 07-09.

A healthy Bodden paired with McCourty, even with Bust Butler, and Glass-IR Dowling would have been decent and would likely have resulted in 1-2 more SB wins.

Are you thinking of Leigh Bodden, or of Aqib Talib?

Last edited:
I hope so because watching some of the playoff games over the weekend we look pretty far behind those teams. The way the Bills and Chiefs were able to score at will is a stark contrast to watching our offense sputter up and down the field trying to muster up 25 points.
I would equate the Bills and Chiefs as horrible defense as electrifying as that game was.

I see many struggling to discover how the team can address its problems for next year. It can't. It'll take at least another year to complete the rebuild. We got a little lucky on the qb, and at least some of last year's FA buys seem likely to work out, but there have been too many bum drafts and weirdo free agent hires over the years to make a full comeback at least until the year after next. I expect about the same record next year, possibly making the playoffs, then getting bounced. I'd LIKE to see a tidier arc of improvement over the course of the season next year, frankly. The team was too inconsistent and sloppy at times this year, and not a lot of that is really attributable to the rookie qb. More a combination of a lot of new guys and a couple of sub-par coaches, names withheld in the interest of familial harmony.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back