PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Went 1-4 to End Season. What Was The Cause of Implosion?

Virtually everyone thought the Patriots would take Samuel in the first round of the 2019 draft, including Samuel himself. After he interviewed with and worked out for the Patriots, he posted a message on Instagram that said, “Hey Billy, I’ll see you in a month, my man.”

I put this out of my memory. It rankles me to no end. Probably my least favorite Patriot draft pick since Bill took Daniel Graham over Ed Freakin’ Reed.

I will be pissed for the rest of the day.

Virtually everyone thought the Patriots would take Samuel in the first round of the 2019 draft, including Samuel himself. After he interviewed with and worked out for the Patriots, he posted a message on Instagram that said, “Hey Billy, I’ll see you in a month, my man.”

I put this out of my memory. It rankles me to no end. Probably my least favorite Patriot draft pick since Bill took Daniel Graham over Ed Freakin’ Reed.

Great post. Also the WR in Tennessee. 2 all star caliber players there but we got NKeal Harry thanks to Ace and Gary roommates from John Carroll (Ziegler and McDaniels)

Not only Samuel. AJ Brown cried when the Pats didn't take him. AJ Brown who put up 2000 yards receiving and 19TDs his first 2 years in the NFL.

Deebo was like my #1 PTP and WR for us. He's all I talked about that year.

Hindsight is real but Graham > Reed was criminal. Reed was a monster in college and practically ran that team. Think of all the personalities and big names on those teams. Reed was one of 2-3 people that had everyone's respect. Players and coaches. I can still hear his halftime speech playing with a separated shoulder? I could be wrong but what a moment.

I wouldn't go that far... Brady's still running the plays he wants to run... Leftwich is more of a Suggestor than a Coordinator.

Byron Leftwich and the Bucs looking real good. Integrating a lot of different players and over 12 receivers with receptions this year =D

The truth is the Pats started and ended the season ****ty and the 7 game win streak was a mirage. Look at who they beat.

1. The Jets who are one of worst teams in the league

2. The Chargers. Who are a bubble team that still has a lot of issues and ultimately couldn't seal the deal

3. The Browns who were a massive dissapointment this year who we hyped as a good win because of their expectation going into the season. Who also lost OBJ the week they played us which upended their team

4. The Panthers who had a good start but ultimately impoded and turned into a trash team by the time we got to them.

5. The Falcons who were one of the worst teams in the league, certainly bottom 5

6. The Titans right after they lost both Brown and Henry and they had to readjust to their offense.

7. The Bills in a game that was heavily impacted by the weather. Like no **** you can beat a pass first team if you remove their passing game via weather conditions that have nothing to do with you.

We were a lot closer to the bad team that started and ended the season. We just got a break from a stretch of teams that were either awful and in some respects overrated at the time we played them or were dealing with some serious issues with signature players on the team, or got the weather gods helping us.

We never beat a good a team straight up with no excuses or crazy scenarios happening to them.
I wouldn’t call it a mirage.

The medias narrative on the pats was overblown, not the teams skill…

again, you play who’s on your schedule, if you’re average, you beat the bad teams and lose to the good ones.

The truth is the Pats started and ended the season ****ty and the 7 game win streak was a mirage. Look at who they beat.

1. The Jets who are one of worst teams in the league

2. The Chargers. Who are a bubble team that still has a lot of issues and ultimately couldn't seal the deal

3. The Browns who were a massive dissapointment this year who we hyped as a good win because of their expectation going into the season. Who also lost OBJ the week they played us which upended their team

4. The Panthers who had a good start but ultimately impoded and turned into a trash team by the time we got to them.

5. The Falcons who were one of the worst teams in the league, certainly bottom 5

6. The Titans right after they lost both Brown and Henry and they had to readjust to their offense.

7. The Bills in a game that was heavily impacted by the weather. Like no **** you can beat a pass first team if you remove their passing game via weather conditions that have nothing to do with you.

We were a lot closer to the bad team that started and ended the season. We just got a break from a stretch of teams that were either awful and in some respects overrated at the time we played them or were dealing with some serious issues with signature players on the team, or got the weather gods helping us.

We never beat a good a team straight up with no excuses or crazy scenarios happening to them.

Fantastic summary

I wouldn’t call it a mirage.

The medias narrative on the pats was overblown, not the teams skill…

again, you play who’s on your schedule, if you’re average, you beat the bad teams and lose to the good ones.

But even the teams beaten, the Pats happened to play them missing their best players. Will be tough to win 10 again next year. 1-4 is a terrible sign to end the year.

"It’s unfathomable now that Bill Belichick would choose N’Keal Harry over him. It was pretty close to unfathomable then, too.
The Patriots couldn’t have botched the top of that ‘19 draft more if they were trying to..."

Quoted for Truth.

Thanks Billy!
Thanks Stevie! (he probably recommended SloJuan)
And thanks to the 3 (John Carrol) Stooges!

Oops, and thanks Nike!

"It’s unfathomable now that Bill Belichick would choose N’Keal Harry over him. It was pretty close to unfathomable then, too.
The Patriots couldn’t have botched the top of that ‘19 draft more if they were trying to..."

Quoted for Truth.

Thanks Billy!
Thanks Stevie! (he probably recommended SloJuan)
And thanks to the 3 (John Carrol) Stooges!

Oops, and thanks Nike!

NKeal Harry has McIdiots fingerprints all over it

Seriously Guys?
We ALL KNOW, SO DOES BILL AT THIS POINT.
HE MISSED, BADLY.
**** THE FK UP, IT'S OVER!
YOU THINK OTHERS HAVEN'T FKD UP EARLY?

Get over it.

"To most, the way the Patriots' season ended, with four losses in their final five games topped off by an embarrassing 47-17 loss to the AFC East-rival Bills on Saturday night, was shocking.

The Patriots started 2-4, finished 1-4. That's 3-8 compared to 7-0. Now, with the benefit of hindsight, which "half" of the season was closer to who these Patriots really were?

...and if you really wanted to lay it on, there was the 2-4 close to 2019 and 7-9 record last year. "

Ehhhhh,

1) The "rebuild" isn't over. This is gonna take at least another year. i expect next year to be about the same in wins as this year,. Iffy early, though, and better late, the reverse of this year. (There'll be a lot of new guys.)

2) Mac is, absolutely no doubt, good enough. but he's likely not more than that. Most pertinently, unlike Brady, Mac cannot compensate for the sort of incomplete roster Bardy has manged to win with, to a degree, in the past.

3) The Pats have GOT to change their drafting/trading/free agent philosophy to get more speed and more playmakers on the roster. Sorry. Bill, but the game really has changed.

4) Josh McDaniels is great at seeing the trees, a little hazy on seeing the forest. He needs to squint away his "intricate grasp of every last detail" at times and just allow the players, even the younger ones, to sometimes just get after it, to do the obvious simple right thing. I hope we can keep him, but I also hope he'll change his ways some.

5) I'm afraid, as the article said, that this year has to be devoted to the defense. The offense will just have to wait for its badly-needed playmakers.

Ehhhhh,

1) The "rebuild" isn't over. This is gonna take at least another year. i expect next year to be about the same in wins as this year,. Iffy early, though, and better late, the reverse of this year. (There'll be a lot of new guys.)

2) Mac is, absolutely no doubt, good enough. but he's likely not more than that. Most pertinently, unlike Brady, Mac cannot compensate for the sort of incomplete roster Bardy has manged to win with, to a degree, in the past.

3) The Pats have GOT to change their drafting/trading/free agent philosophy to get more speed and more playmakers on the roster. Sorry. Bill, but the game really has changed.

4) Josh McDaniels is great at seeing the trees, a little hazy on seeing the forest. He needs to squint away his "intricate grasp of every last detail" at times and just allow the players, even the younger ones, to sometimes just get after it, to do the obvious simple right thing. I hope we can keep him, but I also hope he'll change his ways some.

5) I'm afraid, as the article said, that this year has to be devoted to the defense. The offense will just have to wait for its badly-needed playmakers.

Agree Defense needs all the attention in the draft and free agency. Need to rebuild a lot of aging vets.

Offense needs to tweak what it already has. Under-utilized talent like Agholor, Jonnu, and Onwenu.

Not sure what's so murky about retaining vets like Hightower...

The answer's quite simple, really: You don't.

He & others like Collins are finished here, if not everywhere.

Deja vu then with the Monty Beisel and Gary Guyton seasons. Blow the whole LB corps up. Including Bentley (see ya)

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back