PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats Went 1-4 to End Season. What Was The Cause of Implosion?

thing is though, looking at the gilmore results/stat line for the year, they made the right call

now if his 'hold out' was due to contract status and not health, who knows......but it looks like they made the right call based on the results.....maybe it isn't hindsight, maybe it was foresight?

I haven't followed Gilmore in Carolina but if he was hurt there then yes, it appears he really got hurt last year and wasn't ready to come back

Phil Perry: Patriots Implode.

"The Patriots made it back to the postseason with a new team and a rookie quarterback. But they lost four of their last five. They went 3-8 against teams with winning records."

Getting only a 6th back for Gilmore was Bill's most egregious mismanagement of an asset.
The worst is when a team holds onto a player they don’t want while their trade value erodes. But only trading him for a 6th was irresponsible.

We should have traded him earlier, could we have gotten back a 2nd?

Looking back, and at the time I wanted to hold onto Gilly, but yes it appears the best move would have been to net a 2nd rounder in 2020. The thing is at that point, you're basically punting being a contender and then have to wonder whether to keep playing other old guys like McCourty, Hightower etc or just rebuild even more. They're at a defensive rebuild now.

Looking back, and at the time I wanted to hold onto Gilly, but yes it appears the best move would have been to net a 2nd rounder in 2020. The thing is at that point, you're basically punting being a contender and then have to wonder whether to keep playing other old guys like McCourty, Hightower etc or just rebuild even more. They're at a defensive rebuild now.

Bill should've traded him at the 2020 deadline, when it was clear by then that they had no hope of contending.
But Halas & Shula beckon; so...

We should have traded him earlier, could we have gotten back a 2nd?
He was DPOY in 2019. It takes a certain kind of special GMness to not only not have the player in 2021 but only get a 6th back. There is no explanation. None. We should have either traded him in 2020 when Bill said he was punting on the season because of "cap" yet didn't make any moves to suggest he was punting at all when he franchised Thuney and extended McCourty. Then we carry him in 2021 and screw around with his injury and literally get as close to zippo as possible in return.

He was DPOY in 2019. It takes a certain kind of special GMness to not only not have the player in 2021 but only get a 6th back. There is no explanation. None. We should have either traded him in 2020 when Bill said he was punting on the season because of "cap" yet didn't make any moves to suggest he was punting at all when he franchised Thuney and extended McCourty. Then we carry him in 2021 and screw around with his injury and literally get as close to zippo as possible in return.

Epic fail by Ziegler.

Bill should've traded him at the 2020 deadline, when it was clear by then that they had no hope of contending.
But Halas & Shula beckon; so...

Pats have to be really good annually for 4+ more years in order for Belichick to catch Shula. Meanwhile the cap situation doesn't look good next year, a lot of expensive bust players and limited money to keep JC or do something else big. I guess it goes without saying they have to hit on the draft in a major way with multiple key new rookies.

Thank you. That's why I hate all the rebuild excuse making. This roster and last year still saw us keeping much of the guys from the super bowl team. This isn't a rebuild, its a shoddy retooling.

Thank you. That's why I hate all the rebuild excuse making. This roster and last year still saw us keeping much of the guys from the super bowl team. This isn't a rebuild, its a shoddy retooling.

Sadly true. And we missed our window with McCourty and Hightower. I thought there was an outside chance they could content this year but mediocre coaching around BB eliminated that possibility.

He played the Injury card because he wanted more $(he wasn't ready and he knew it through his lies) even though they advanced him the year before, and he was either the Highest Paid, or close to it when they signed him, he sucked learning the system.
I REMEMBER SPECIFICALLY how bad he was when he first came here, folks were BASHING Bill for that "Ridiculous Contract".
Take a look at pressure the Front 7 put on QBS under Flores his last year when he won the DPOY, he was great, but OBVIOUSLY helped GREATLY by Flores' pressure schemes.
He wasn't coming back at his salary HERE, and BB knew the deal.
F him.

He played the Injury card because he wanted more $(he wasn't ready and he knew it through his lies) even though they advanced him the year before, and he was either the Highest Paid, or close to it when they signed him, he sucked learning the system.
I REMEMBER SPECIFICALLY how bad he was when he first came here, folks were BASHING Bill for that "Ridiculous Contract".
Take a look at pressure the Front 7 put on QBS under Flores his last year when he won the DPOY, he was great, but OBVIOUSLY helped GREATLY by Flores' pressure schemes.
He wasn't coming back at his salary HERE, and BB knew the deal.
F him.

I do remember when Gilmore blew some really bad coverages his first year.

But that's why I'm OK paying JC. JC is ahead of where Gilmore was at when Gilmore got his massive deal. One isn't going to get the perfect CB but JC is already excellent and getting better still.

He keeps Yapping, but getting torched.:rolleyes:
Diggs laughs when he knows he's going to play JCJ, cuz he knows Allen will have time.
IMO, They need to rachet up the pressure on the QB to help the DBS, but in doing so, they need faster LBS to cover the DL when it doesn't get home.

I'm no genius, but I CONTINUALLY see this Problem, the DBS cannot hold forever, pick your poison, expecting the other offense to make a mistake is really putting the DBS in a bad spot when playing good QBs, IDGAS how good they are.
JCJ is a ball hawk, he reminds me of Samuel.

He keeps Yapping, but getting torched.:rolleyes:
Diggs laughs when he knows he's going to play JCJ, cuz he knows Allen will have time.
IMO, They need to rachet up the pressure on the QB to help the DBS, but in doing so, they need faster LBS to cover the DL when it doesn't get home.

I'm no genius, but I CONTINUALLY see this Problem, the DBS cannot hold forever, pick your poison, expecting the other offense to make a mistake is really putting the DBS in a bad spot when playing good QBs, IDGAS how good they are.
JCJ is a ball hawk, he reminds me of Samuel.
Part of me believes the Pats should totally beef up the front 7 and go young in the secondary. CBs cost a ton but if you can get pressure up front and stop the run, it takes so much off of the CBs. The best way to stop any of these high flying offenses is to get to the QB.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back