PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats trade Sony Michel to LAR

This feels like BB giving a vet he respects the best chance to get paid.
I think his 2018 season shows he was good enough to be a first round pick. Shame with injuries he was never able to really put it all together here. I always wanted Chubb but Michel and him were about equal coming out of Georgia and Michel was the better pass catcher.
Good luck Sony. Thanks for 2018

4th rounder in what promises to be a VERY deep draft is more like a 3rd rounder. Plus, Pats save money and he was gone after this year. They had him for 3 years and he was essential to winning a Super Bowl. They deal him and still get good value. What’s not to like? Next year’s draft is going to be good.

Woke up to hearing about this trade after not believing the trade rumors yesterday :)

It is a really deep position for us and now we'll get to see more of Harris, Stevenson and JJ. I wish Sony the best, he really helped us in 2018 win the Super Bowl...he was great for us during that playoff run. Two picks for him is probably better than what any of us thought we could get.

That’s funny, because I don’t remember ANYONE ever comparing him to Barry Sanders.
Obviously it’s hyperbole but the defense this guy would get around here for being as average as average can be was ridiculous. The guy was a JAG who had an UDFA like career as a first round pick. I’m glad he’s out of the way and no longer clogging up the depth chart.

When people go high (as in hyperbole), it’s because they’re going low. He should just say, “Imma douche.” And leave it at that because that’s what we’re all thinking.
Ooooh you got me! You’re such a smart fan!

Stevenson, Froholdt, Bentley, Bailey, Mitchel, Mason, Wise were all taken in 4th/5th rounds of recent Pats' drafts. More hits than misses, and more than one long term, high quality starter.

The big winner of this trade I believe is JJ Taylor....I think he was the odd man out, now he is on the team with a chance to be a contributor.
Agreed. I’m glad it looks like JJ might stick on the final 53 now.

(1) I thought they’d keep Sony as the hope was NE would be run heavy in 2021
(2) I think it’s playing with fire to trade competent backs, since the position is dangerous
(3) But I suppose if they’re set on 5 RBs, this makes more sense than releasing Taylor
(4) Stevenson might not be the redshirt others have been (Vereen, White, Harris)
(5) maybe BB feels that he can pluck another RB from somewhere that can get the job done if something happens
(6) Is Bolden safe now ? I suspect some would say “he always was”…

I don’t like these kind of moves. Michel definitely could have contributed regardless of the debate about what his actual role would have been. Why get rid of a contributor when you get very little in return?
On the other hand this is a huge signal that Stevenson is ready to assume that role.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Back