PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats trade LeKevin Smith to Broncos [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Al Davis is probably fuming after hearing about the trade!

If Al Didn't expect to receive a "bottom of the barrel" 5th instead of a 4th from BB, he's further gone than I thought.

Kewl, now all that's left is for you to do is to deny it, then cover it up and continue living like a king on our hard earned money :eat2:

As far as I could tell from watching and re-watching the game, Smith took all his snaps at DE while Pryor took all his snaps at DT. Mike Wright will probably see snaps at DE as will Green. I don't see Pryor getting snaps there. But you also have Ty Warren who should be returning from the PUP shortly..

So, I'm basically saying that I don't see Pryor's play at DT affecting Smith's standing.. The play of TBC, Burgess, Seymour, and Woods probably had far more impact than Pryor. But, we'll never know for certain.
They are both DEs when we line up in our real defense, the 34.

What remains to be seen is which 7th rounder the Pats sent (I'm guessing their own) because they also own Phillys. The 5th they got back actually is not Denver's 5th (they traded that to Detriot), but they did get Dallas' 5th rd pick in a trade.

The Pats will most likely get at least 3 more 7th rd picks when the Comp picks are announced, so sending this one away with LeKevin to get bakc our 4th is not really that big of a deal. Overall a very good trade for the Pats. Hopefully they can lighten the roster a few more times over the next couple weeks and pick up some more draft picks in the process.

Last edited:
what a bunch of horshe****.

must be a typo or something.

In a lead bunker somewhere deep beneath Chicago there sleeps a dragon with a Flying Elvis tattooed on its rump and a sign that reads "President of the LeKevin 'The Widowmaker' Smith Fan Club". Its fiery breath comes out from beneath the streets on winter nights. Legend has it that the dragon will awaken when the Patriots Dynasty is in danger.

Sleep on, O Mighty One! Sleep on!

Denver could suck totally, if so, expect BB to deal for another lesser 5th pick, in fact perhaps in the bottom 4 - unless the deal with Oakland has a condition in it. No way the Pats hand over a 5th that's in the top 6 picks of the round if he can help it.

Eggs-actly, Batman.

Because as of today, the Donkeys' 5th-rounder prob. won't be much lower than our 4th-rounder, unless a dozen or so comp picks are awarded at the end of the 4th round.

I really, really hope that Bill hasn't promised this 5th-rounder to Weird Uncle Al. Why does he have such a soft spot for this miserable old creature, anyway?

Edit: Please ignore everything in this out-of-date post, exc. the Bill has a soft spot for Weird Old Uncle Al part.

Last edited:
I'm just going to quote something above:

The 5th they got back actually is not Denver's 5th (they traded that to Detriot), but they did get Dallas' 5th rd pick in a trade.

Its not Denver's pick.

Hmm...a year before the draft, that 5th-round pick is already with its 5th team? And as soon as that team acquired the pick, their head coach went nuts and broke an assistant's jaw?

Cursed. Obviously.

Its not Denver's pick.

Now ya tell me...

I was just about to edit my post, because at the time I made it, I hadn't realized that Denver has only Dallas' pick in the 5th round.

I have a feeling, though, that the CowBums aren't making the POs this season. And with the new "Patriots Rule" in place for draft seeding, they won't be picking lower than 20th in each round. Still, that's lower than where the Donkeys will be picking next year.

what a bunch of horshe****.

must be a typo or something.

If it's any consolation, I'd rather have kept LeKevin instead of "NT"(snicker) Mike Wright, if the cap consequences weren't prohibitive.

If it's any consolation, I'd rather have kept LeKevin instead of "NT"(snicker) Mike Wright, if the cap consequences weren't prohibitive.

I am curious as to why you feel that way?

Mike Wright has given us some real productive field time...filling in during injuries, playing in situational defenses...

LeKevin Smith, while always full of potential, has really done nothing in his time with New England. I am not sure if that is due to the scheme of things or his talent level, but it is true, is it not?

The captain is a contrarian. For him, Belichick is wrong until proven right. In this case, Belichick signed Wright to a long-term deal, drafted Brace and Pryor and Richard in an effort to upgrade over LeKevin, and is still looking to bring in Carter.

In the case of the mighty Richardson, Belichick didn't think he had any chance of making the team, even with a couple of injuries. Ventrone, Slater, Tank Williams, Jones and Love are there to get practice and preseason DB reps if needed. But that is not enough for the captain.

Mike Wright has given us some real productive field time...filling in during injuries, playing in situational defenses...

LeKevin Smith, while always full of potential, has really done nothing in his time with New England. I am not sure if that is due to the scheme of things or his talent level, but it is true, is it not?

Nice to hear from you again, ADPF. As a 3-4 DE or a 4-3 DT, Wright was servicable; better at rushing the QB than LeKevin, but not as stout at the POA. As a NT, he was an absolute joke; LeKevin was much, much better as Wilfork's sub.

I'd rather have saved the $$$ spent on Wright, and have somebody like Tim Bulman, Rodrique Wright or - better still - Mike DeVito instead.

Nice to hear from you again, ADPF. As a 3-4 DE or a 4-3 DT, Wright was servicable; better at rushing the QB than LeKevin, but not as stout at the POA. As a NT, he was an absolute joke; LeKevin was much, much better as Wilfork's sub.

I'd rather have saved the $$$ spent on Wright, and have somebody like Tim Bulman, Rodrique Wright or - better still - Mike DeVito instead.

Wright is a better 3-4 DE sub than Smith. Neither was a realistic sub for Wilfork at NT, which is why we are much better off with Brace and Pryor on the roster. First time since Wilfork was a rookie that we have real options at NT besides Vince.

In the case of the mighty Richardson, Belichick didn't think he had any chance of making the team, even with a couple of injuries. Ventrone, Slater, Tank Williams, Jones and Love are there to get practice and preseason DB reps if needed. But that is not enough for the captain.

From the Chris Taylor thread:
Agreed, it's pretty early to leave the position at 53-level staffing, especially with Springs off the field.

Bubba, Slater, Tank & HDJ are Safeties; Love is the only player you mentioned who is a CB. My question, and Patchick's concern, is still valid. If another CB is signed this week, then it will have been answered.

Apparently, you're concerned that Wheatley and Love will get too many reps. Certainly Butler needs the reps.

From the Chris Taylor thread:

Bubba, Slater, Tank & HDJ are Safeties; Love is the only player you mentioned who is a CB. My question, and Patchick's concern, is still valid. If another CB is signed this week, then it will have been answered.

1) Wright is a better 3-4 DE sub than Smith.

2) Neither was a realistic sub for Wilfork at NT, which is why we are much better off with Brace and Pryor on the roster. First time since Wilfork was a rookie that we have real options at NT besides Vince.

1) In passing situations, agreed. But in running situations, too?

2) Agreed.

Apparently, you're concerned that Wheatley and Love will get too many reps. Certainly Butler needs the reps.

You're right, of course, that the aforementioned trio do need the reps. My concern is that one of the first 5 suffers an injury during the 4th quarter because nobody else is avail. to finish the game.

I really, really wish that the owners would vote to expand the TC rosters back to 90, the limit when NFLE exemptions were counted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back