PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats trade LeKevin Smith to Broncos [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't surprise me he didn't make the team because of how crowded it was at DL.

doubt he'll do well in denver

ex pats = usually crap out around the league (players and coaches)
There are plenty of examples of backups going on to decent careers, Corey Ivy, Greg Spires, and starters too, Ty Law, Curtis Martin, and heck even Asante Samuel had a decent year.

So when we pass this pick on to Oakland, it will make sense as this is a bottom half #5. Thanks.

BSPN says that it was for a 5th rounder....

Le Kevin Smith picked up by Denver Broncos in deal with New England Patriots - ESPN

So I guess it is safe to say that the Pats will get there 4th rounder back from OAK.

EDIT:

That's what I get for believeing BSPN....

They traded Smith AND a 7th, for a 5th...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9947768/Patriots-trade-DL-Smith-to-hurting-Broncos

Last edited:
BSPN says that it was for a 5th rounder....

Le Kevin Smith picked up by Denver Broncos in deal with New England Patriots - ESPN

So I guess it is safe to say that the Pats will get there 4th rounder back from OAK.

EDIT:

That's what I get for believeing BSPN....

They traded Smith AND a 7th, for a 5th...

Patriots trade DL Smith to hurting Broncos - NFL News - FOX Sports on MSN

Not to worry. It's all good. Thing is, I liked LeKevin, and think he's got a good future ahead of him. Considering the current roster, though, and his contract, it was hard to see him sticking around here unless the injury bug his the defense again.

He's a good kid, and a decent player, and i wish him all the best, unless he's playing against the Patriots. :cool:

There are plenty of examples of backups going on to decent careers, Corey Ivy, Greg Spires, and starters too, Ty Law, Curtis Martin, and heck even Asante Samuel had a decent year.
i talked to a ravens fan who said corey ivy is satan (in a bad way)

spires is a good example though

as for law, he was crap outside of NE, compared to how well he played as a pat
curtis martin's a good example, but pre belichick, and asante is a great example, he's one of the goods

but, like it or not, the pats have a system that can turn almost anyone into something better than they were elsewhere, and usually those guys don't carry it over

i'm still surprised out how much you got out of someone like reche caldwell

i'm convinced had you drafted gholston and the jets mayo, gholston would have been droy and mayo crap

that's just how i think NE does as a system, that's why i seriously expect burgess to be back among the top sack leaders, if he can stay healthy

i talked to a ravens fan who said corey ivy is satan (in a bad way)

spires is a good example though

as for law, he was crap outside of NE, compared to how well he played as a pat
curtis martin's a good example, but pre belichick, and asante is a great example, he's one of the goods

but, like it or not, the pats have a system that can turn almost anyone into something better than they were elsewhere, and usually those guys don't carry it over

i'm still surprised out how much you got out of someone like reche caldwell

i'm convinced had you drafted gholston and the jets mayo, gholston would have been droy and mayo crap

that's just how i think NE does as a system, that's why i seriously expect burgess to be back among the top sack leaders, if he can stay healthy

For Reche - you can call it the Brady effect. What Brady did in 06 was just as impressive as in 07. Making Caldwell, Gaffney and an aging Troy Brown an adequate group of wideouts.

As for players looking better in the Pats system, sure - b/c they know how to select their players. And on the flipside, some talented athletes can't fit into the system. There have been guys that have failed miserably here, though...ie, Chad Jackson, Duane Starks, Doug Gabriel. I think its a disservice to the players to say the system makes them better, the Pats a) know who fits their system b) know when to cut ties with a player.

Your point re: Gholston or Mayo couldn't be further from the truth. Mayo is an intelligent, humble, hard-working player with good fundamentals. Gholston is a good athlete. Mayo would succeed anywhere he went, 3-4, 4-3, good team, bad team. Gholston may succeed over time, but he wouldn't have gotten on the field for the Patriots. Crable is a better prospect for the Pats than he would've been.

Last edited:
Gholston may succeed over time, but he wouldn't have gotten on the field for the Patriots. Crable is a better prospect for the Pats than he would've been.

I agree that Mayo was a great talent and would have succeed anywhere, but I still think Gholston would have been a pretty good player if he had been drafted by the Pats or Steelers.

I agree that Mayo was a great talent and would have succeed anywhere, but I still think Gholston would have been a pretty good player if he had been drafted by the Pats or Steelers.

Steelers makes some sense - but as for the Pats, do you see Gholston faring any differently than Crable? Gholston is a slightly better physical talent, but probably not a better football player at this point in their respective careers, and Crable hasn't made it to the field yet.

Steelers makes some sense - but as for the Pats, do you see Gholston faring any differently than Crable? Gholston is a slightly better physical talent, but probably not a better football player at this point in their respective careers, and Crable hasn't made it to the field yet.

I feel like Gholston would have been a better football player at this point. The jets are a friggen mess.

I feel like Gholston would have been a better football player at this point. The jets are a friggen mess.

Definitely no arguments on the latter point.

This is a good deal for both teams. The Patriots pick up the 5th pick they were lacking for a bubble player and the Broncos pick up a solid Dliner which they really needed.

...and LeKevin no longer faces near-certain peril on cutdown day. Congratulations to him on landing in a place that will value him -- and probably give him a ton more playing time in his contract year.

Isn't the Pat's 7th round pick likely to be the last pick in the draft? It was just thrown in to make it look like Denver didn't trade a 5th for Smith straight up.... I doubt the last 1 or 2 picks in the draft have any meaningful value, so essentially we got a 5th for Smith... not too shabby

If your the Patriots there meaningful. Remember Matt Cassell or David Givens or TBC or Patrick Pass. All late 7th rounders.

...and LeKevin no longer faces near-certain peril on cutdown day. Congratulations to him on landing in a place that will value him -- and probably give him a ton more playing time in his contract year.

Well said!

Re: Reiss: LeKevin Traded to Denver

I mourn for said nameless board member. Poor guy, not gonna be a good day for him.

Heard the nameless one ran into Smith.

Mrs. Nameless is now a widow.

what a bunch of horshe****.

must be a typo or something.

I still think Gholston would have been a pretty good player if he had been drafted by the Pats or Steelers.
That's an understatement. Gholston would definitely have had to have been a much better player for the Pats or Steelers to have drafted him.

Pats and Steelers (and Colts) are much better talent evaluators than the Jests.

Pats traded L. Smith and a 7th rounder to Broncos for a 5th round pick So this satisfies the trade for Burgess, and allows the Pats to give up the 5th instead of their own 4th round pick. He was on the bubble anyways. Good deal as long as Smith doesn't turn into a stud. ;)

Al Davis is probably fuming after hearing about the trade!

Last edited:
Al Davis is probably fuming after hearing about the trade!
:eek: He must be, his Head Coach reportedly broke one of the Assistant Coach's jaw when he got the word from Al. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes