Pats trade LeKevin Smith to Broncos [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadMoFo

Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal
Reaction score
It's on Reiss blog./

Re: Pats trade LeKevin Smith to Broncos

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/reiss_pieces/2009/08/report_patriot.html

Report: Patriots trade Le Kevin Smith
Posted by Chris Forsberg, Boston.com Staff
August 17, 2009 10:34 AM

According to a Twitter post by ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Patriots have traded Le Kevin Smith to the Denver Broncos.

Schefter Tweets:

Denver and New England are dealing. Denver just acquired DE Le Kevin Smith from the Patriots. Don't know terms but know Broncos needed D help

Smith, a Nebraska product tabbed by the Patriots in the sixth round (206th overall) of the 2006 draft, appeared in 31 games over three seasons in New England. The 6-foot-3, 308-pound lineman logged a career-high 15 appearances last season while registering 14 tackles (11 solo, 3 unassisted).

Smith enters the final year of his rookie contract and started Thursday's exhibition game against the Eagles, potentially showcasing him for another team. Smith projected anywhere from fifth to seventh on the defensive line depth chart in New England, but could emerge as a frontline player in Denver.

Broncos first-year coach Josh McDaniels, the former Patriots offensive coordinator, certainly has knowledge of Smith from his time in New England.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Reiss: LeKevin Traded to Denver

that gentle sobbing you hear is coming from a certain Board member that shal remain nameless

#5 to trade to Oakland for Burgess would be nice; Smith is probably worth that except he's in the last year of his contract. Regardless, we should see a few deals like this for low or conditional picks.

I guess this is a good move.

that gentle sobbing you hear is coming from a certain Board member that shal remain nameless

I mourn for said nameless board member. Poor guy, not gonna be a good day for him.

Could he have gone for Denver's 5th round pick?

Nice, this will help the Pats trim the roster a bit, and hopefully they get something decent for him. Would not be surprised if he does very well in Denver, while here it looked like he had already been passed on the depth chart by Brace and maybe Pryor. Shows how strong the D-line depth is for the pats.

So Im starting to lose count... does Denver have more former Pats than the Chiefs yet?

So Im starting to lose count... does Denver have more former Pats than the Chiefs yet?

Yeah, its KC's turn next at the leftover table.

QB12

Vote of confidence for Pryor. LeKevin was one of the odd men out with Pryor looking to make the final 53. Seymour, Wilfork, Warren, Green, Wright, Brace and Pryor gives us our best DL in years, with incredible flexibility to change around schemes, especially given that Burgess, Thomas and TBC can all line up at DE in 4-3 schemes. There was just no place for Smith.

The DL seems set unless we sign Kevin Carter and trade someone (probably Jarvis Green). That would be a reasonable cost-effective move. If it happens, fine. If not, we're set.

At this point, Smith could have been a victim of a numbers game. The Pats can only keep so many d-linemen. I still wouldn't be surprised if Green or another "significant" d-lineman gets cut or traded.

Could he have gone for Denver's 5th round pick?

That would be tremendous, but doubtful given that Smith was originally a 6th rounder and was likely to be a cut on the final 53 man roster. More likely a 7th rounder conditionally upgradeable to a 5th depending on performance. If Smith does well for Denver than we could end up with that 5th rounder after all.

I would have been interested in a direct swap of Smith for Jarvis Moss, but I suspect I wouldn't have much company in that regard. I'd rather have Moss than TBC as a hybrid DE/OLB.

As far as I could tell from watching and re-watching the game, Smith took all his snaps at DE while Pryor took all his snaps at DT. Mike Wright will probably see snaps at DE as will Green. I don't see Pryor getting snaps there. But you also have Ty Warren who should be returning from the PUP shortly..

So, I'm basically saying that I don't see Pryor's play at DT affecting Smith's standing.. The play of TBC, Burgess, Seymour, and Woods probably had far more impact than Pryor. But, we'll never know for certain.

Very interesting. Reiss didn't have Smith making the 53 man, so at least via his projection, this is a good move.

As far as I could tell from watching and re-watching the game, Smith took all his snaps at DE while Pryor took all his snaps at DT. Mike Wright will probably see snaps at DE as will Green. I don't see Pryor getting snaps there. But you also have Ty Warren who should be returning from the PUP shortly..

So, I'm basically saying that I don't see Pryor's play at DT affecting Smith's standing.. The play of TBC, Burgess, Seymour, and Woods probably had far more impact than Pryor. But, we'll never know for certain.

That's all assuming the Pats are truly going to more of a 4-3 base. We still do not know for sure he is. The Pats have used a lot of 4-3 in the preseason before (I think 2007 or 2006) and went back to the 3-4 when the season started. Or maybe my memory is just going on me. One of the two.

I would have been interested in a direct swap of Smith for Jarvis Moss, but I suspect I wouldn't have much company in that regard. I'd rather have Moss than TBC as a hybrid DE/OLB.

I don't know the money aspect of that deal, but I'd be right there with you in giving it a shot... though time is of the essence with so many practices already finished, meaning that any new additions would have lots of work to do to make the 53 ahead of anyone who's been in camp already.

Vote of confidence for Pryor. LeKevin was one of the odd men out with Pryor looking to make the final 53.

I totally agree. When I did my own 53 I made that same decision -- LeKevin's in the final year of his contract, and Pryor looks like somebody to build with. A trade of a player who was almost sure to be cut is a good thing for both the team and the player. Happy news.

That would be tremendous, but doubtful given that Smith was originally a 6th rounder and was likely to be a cut on the final 53 man roster. More likely a 7th rounder conditionally upgradeable to a 5th depending on performance. If Smith does well for Denver than we could end up with that 5th rounder after all.

Mayo - you do realize that Jarvis Moss is considering retirement right now, yes? And, reportedly, one of the reasons he's considering it is that he was having a miserable time trying to pick up the 3-4 defense as an OLB. Don't know if this is true or not. But, if he's considering retirement, then one has to question his heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots