PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats trade LeKevin Smith to Broncos [merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fox sports says it is a 2010 5th, with the Pats sending Smith and a 2010 7th.

LINK

That pick will be sent to Oakland.

So, basically, we get our 4th back.

Last edited:
Re: Reiss: LeKevin Traded to Denver

That would be tremendous, but doubtful given that Smith was originally a 6th rounder and was likely to be a cut on the final 53 man roster. More likely a 7th rounder conditionally upgradeable to a 5th depending on performance. If Smith does well for Denver than we could end up with that 5th rounder after all.

I would have been interested in a direct swap of Smith for Jarvis Moss, but I suspect I wouldn't have much company in that regard. I'd rather have Moss than TBC as a hybrid DE/OLB.

The Pats could have had Moss for nothing since he was an UFA for most of the offseason and only resigned with the Broncos because no one wanted him. Why would the Pats trade for a guy they could have signed off the street at any time?

I would rather have TBC. He has proven to be a pretty good situational pass rusher in the Pats' system. What has Moss done in the NFL other been a complete bust who considered retirement about a month ago? Moss has 3.5 career sacks, TBC had 5.5 in his last season with the Pats.

I can't open the link without my screen freezing for some reason. Any news on the compensation we received in the trade?

I can't open the link without my screen freezing for some reason. Any news on the compensation we received in the trade?

Two firsts and a third..........

Just kidding:

No word on what the Patriots will receive in return yet, but the team could be seeking a fifth-round pick in next year's draft as part of the compensation. Per terms of the Derrick Burgess trade, the Patriots could send a fifth-round choice to the Raiders instead of a fourth-round selection if they acquire one.

By the way, I'm not having any problems with links, but I cleared my cookies earlier when I couldn't get to the message board. You may want to try that.

Last edited:

Supposedly, the Pats got the Broncos 5th rounder, which they are going to send to the Raiders to complete the Burgess deal.

Supposedly, the Pats gave up their 7th rounder with Smith to get the deal done..

Supposedly, the Pats got the Broncos 5th rounder, which they are going to send to the Raiders to complete the Burgess deal.

Supposedly, the Pats gave up their 7th rounder with Smith to get the deal done..

WEEI is now reporting this. Smith and our 7th for the broncos 5th. Which in turn goes to Oakland, and we get our 4th back. This is an excellent trade for the pats!

LINK

Makes sense; we receive the equivalent of a 6th, but thanks to the Oakland situation it nets to the equivalent of a 5th. Good value.

LINK

I was never worried about losing the 4th rounder. I knew one way or another that Belichick was going to get a 5th rounder to give the Raiders. Good deal since LeKevin, although played pretty well last year at the end of the season, probably would have been cut or traded at some point this offseason.

I was reading a post here after the first preseason game. Somebody was rightfully slamming LeKevin Smith's performance, and summizing that he wouldn't make the team.

I agree that he wasn't going to make the team, which brings me to this question?

Did NE school Denver, getting something for somebody who would have been out there for free? Or, with the claiming process as it is, did it make sense for Denver to assure they got him by giving up a draft pick for him?

I bet my son that it's for a 5th round pick, and they square away the Raider situation.

Did NE school Denver, getting something for somebody who would have been out there for free? Or, with the claiming process as it is, did it make sense for Denver to assure they got him by giving up a draft pick for him?

The latter, I think. With the likes of KC and Cleveland ahead of them, Denver would have had almost no shot -- plus this way they get him in the fold with several extra weeks to work into the defense.

I was reading a post here after the first preseason game. Somebody was rightfully slamming LeKevin Smith's performance, and summizing that he wouldn't make the team.

I agree that he wasn't going to make the team, which brings me to this question?

I bet my son that it's for a 5th round pick, and they square away the Raider situation.

Denver and K.C. have something in common: both are switching from the 4-3 to the 3-4 even with really bad defensive lines. K.C. approached this by drafting two defensive ends to go along with Dorsey, and they're praying someone steps up for the NT position. Denver didn't devote those sorts of resources to the position, so this will help with depth.

Heck, as bad as Denver's line is, Smith has probably got a shot to be starting or be high up in the rotation.

I was never worried about losing the 4th rounder. I knew one way or another that Belichick was going to get a 5th rounder to give the Raiders. Good deal since LeKevin, although played pretty well last year at the end of the season, probably would have been cut or traded at some point this offseason.

Denver could suck totally, if so, expect BB to deal for another lesser 5th pick, in fact perhaps in the bottom 4 - unless the deal with Oakland has a condition in it. No way the Pats hand over a 5th that's in the top 6 picks of the round if he can help it.

Any time they can get trade value for a guy they would otherwise cut... win.

LINK

So, essentially, the Burgess trade ends up to be (for us):

a 3rd, a 7th and LeKevin Smith for Derrick Burgess

Re: Reiss: LeKevin Traded to Denver

That would be tremendous, but doubtful given that Smith was originally a 6th rounder and was likely to be a cut on the final 53 man roster. More likely a 7th rounder conditionally upgradeable to a 5th depending on performance. If Smith does well for Denver than we could end up with that 5th rounder after all.

I would have been interested in a direct swap of Smith for Jarvis Moss, but I suspect I wouldn't have much company in that regard. I'd rather have Moss than TBC as a hybrid DE/OLB.

I think that would have worked for me too with Moss.
DW Toys

The latter, I think. With the likes of KC and Cleveland ahead of them, Denver would have had almost no shot -- plus this way they get him in the fold with several extra weeks to work into the defense.

Excellent post,
I believe that makes sense.
DW Toys

So, essentially, the Burgess trade ends up to be (for us):

a 3rd, a 7th and LeKevin Smith for Derrick Burgess

Of course, with the Pats being the black whole of information, we may never know this for sure, but I don't think LeKevin was making the team this year. I really don't.

So, I'm looking at it like this:

We gave up a 3rd and a 5th for Burgess.

Smith was being cut anyway, so we got a 5th round pick for our 7th round pick.

How's THAT for the glass is half freakin' full?? :)

Isn't the Pat's 7th round pick likely to be the last pick in the draft? It was just thrown in to make it look like Denver didn't trade a 5th for Smith straight up.... I doubt the last 1 or 2 picks in the draft have any meaningful value, so essentially we got a 5th for Smith... not too shabby

Last edited:
Denver could suck totally, if so, expect BB to deal for another lesser 5th pick, in fact perhaps in the bottom 4 - unless the deal with Oakland has a condition in it. No way the Pats hand over a 5th that's in the top 6 picks of the round if he can help it.
I agree, it wouldn't be at all surprising if we get another one and keep this one for ourselves, assuming we can pick and choose like that if we get more than one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes