PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pats sign QB Brian Hoyer, LB Brandon Copeland

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well, that's interesting... Rap says Hoyer believes the team is giving him a shot to compete to be the starter. Maybe Stidham isn't as close to set-in-stone as believed.

business as usual

We replace Roberts and Kessler with Copeland and Hoyer.

Are these an unreasonable decisions?

Well, that's interesting... Rap says Hoyer believes the team is giving him a shot to compete to be the starter. Maybe Stidham isn't as close to set-in-stone as believed.

I'm glad hoyer wants to be here.

However I don't want him as a starter.

Gotta figure that's giving him a chance to "compete" to be a starter in much the same way that Ryan Mallett had a chance to "compete" to be a starter the year he was drafted by the Patriots.

"Compete to be the starter? Yeah, sure thing, Ryan Brian. You'll absolutely get that chance <cough>."

business as usual

I obviously don't mind replacing Kessler, but he should have been replaced by an unknown with potential. We know what Hoyer is, and he is simply taking a spot that could have gone to another young qb. There is absolutely no upside to Brian Hoyer being on the roster.

Gotta figure that's giving him a chance to "compete" to be a starter in much the same way that Ryan Mallett had a chance to Compete to be a starter the year he was drafted by the Patriots.

"Compete to be the starter? Yeah, sure thing, Ryan Brian. You'll absolutely get that chance <cough>."
Perhaps. Seems Brian is taking it seriously though if he would've passed up more money - of course, I don't necessarily believe there were any higher offers, or would have been.

I do believe that the Pats will have them "compete" though. Handing Stidham the job is not really the recipe for success.

Right. Because Palmer never threw 22 interceptions with Arians, right?

You know what Palmer also never did with Arians? Lead the league in TD passes. Winston did.

I guess in Todd Bradley’s world Winston’s 33 tds (his career high) > Lamar Jackson’s 36. Next time fact check before you post. And FYI Palmer had a 35td-11int season under Bruce. And finally, Palmer actually did what Jameis didn’t, lead the league in td passes (2005).

business as usual

When are they going to sign some free agents? Everyone so far is a camp body. Hoyer starts we have a great shot at the #1 pick in 2021. Go for it Bill.
DW Toys

Perhaps. Seems Brian is taking it seriously though if he would've passed up more money - of course, I don't necessarily believe there were any higher offers, or would have been.

I do believe that the Pats will have them "compete" though. Handing Stidham the job is not really the recipe for success.

Ok, but think about what it says about BB's roster management this year if Hoyer is really in legit competition to be the week one starter for any reason other than injury.

When are they going to sign some free agents? Everyone so far is a camp body. Hoyer starts we have a great shot at the #1 pick in 2021. Go for it Bill.
DW Toys

This has been a weird FA period, even beyond the whole "We're all going to catch the coronavirus and die!" thing. While about 80% of the top FAs on a lot of lists are off the board, we didn't really see the sort of frenzy we normally do, and the follow up period seems to be moving along unusually slowly.

That's just how it's felt to me, but I doubt I'm the only one feeling that way.

DW Toys

This is normal operating procedure. There have been lots of players signed (6 plus many of our own). Bill just hasn't overpaid for top shelf free agents.

I suppose that Bill could have let Thuney and the McCourty's walk, and then signed players to replace them.

Last edited:
Ok, but think about what it says about BB's roster management this year if Hoyer is really in legit competition to be the week one starter for any reason other than injury.
Not the greatest spot to be in, no.

This is nauseating. I am hopeful that Stidham is not just be handed the job. How about some real camp competition?
Totally agree. I mean all we can go on is his 2019 stats.
2 for 4 for 14 yards
Int (Pick 6)
1 sack.
Kid has a long way to go

I was hoping this would not happen.
Why? He knows the system and will be a veteran presence for Stidham and the soon to be rookie we’ve no doubt got coming in. If all the other guys outperform him, he’ll be cut. I’d rather have Hoyer than a lot of the other guys floating around out there.

Sounds like Copeland is a good locker presence and we all know he can't be any worse than Elandon Roberts. A good depth signing.

Sounds like Copeland is a good locker presence and we all know he can't be any worse than Elandon Roberts. A good depth signing.

rofl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots